Katerina And John Hotel

Santorini, Greece

I booked the hostel room, so I got what I paid for there. The shower situation was a little iffy (spigot in the wall of the bathroom), but WORTH IT for such a cheap stay on such an amazing island! It's a little hostel, and so the staff is quite friendly and accommodating. There's a pool and one computer (+ shaky wifi), and the whole place is kept very clean. It's across from a grocery store & a bakery (both cheap), and just a walk down the main road to the beach. (Perissa beach). I recommend.

I had to pay for internet, per 15 minutes. It's located around the corner from the S-bahn. Normal, chain-hostel atmosphere. Not my favorite stay on my trip. This was my most expensive hostel, with the least amenities. It was clean though, with good showers, and a small kitchen.

Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel

Berlin, Germany

A good place to stay in Berlin. Good price, secure, clean, and the people were friendly. There's a kitchen, internet access, reception, etc. The bathrooms/showers didn't wow me, though.

This hostel has great character, and I made many backpackers here that became friends. Mention your plans at dinner or breakfast, and you'll likely find a group to merge plans with later on if that's what you want. Also- free Korean dinner (something different each night) and French breakfast (baguette, fruit, eggs). For the price, in Paris, it's a good deal. It's not in central Paris, but it's only a Metro ride away from anything you'd want to see. The staff is very friendly. A good stay.

Kick Ass Hostels

Edinburgh, Scotland

I could literally see Edinburgh Castle from my dorm window! Everything I wanted to see and do was within easy walking distance from the hostel. The atmosphere was pretty good, and everything was clean. Staff was helpful. Lockers available. Personal lights by each bed. And the seating area in the dorm was a really nice touch.

Globe Trott Inns

Uncomfortable atmosphere for backpackers- there were a lot of long-term, much-older guests. There were bathroom renovations going on, so the lines for toilet and shower facilities were long. The mattress was clean and comfortable, though, and there were big cupboards to lock your belongings in. It's not in central London, but it's very near the Tube (Jubilee line). A decent place to stay if you're on a tight budget, though I wouldn't go back.

Vagabonds

Belfast, Northern Ireland

By far the best hostel I've stayed at. Great vibe. Friendly, helpful staff (very laid back). Safe location in the student quarter. The guests are a little loud and didn't always close the door (leaving my belongings vulnerable, but luckily it wasn't a problem). There are lockers available, good wifi, and a great common area. I felt very comfortable there. Be sure to ask staff and other guest for recommendations on things to do!