Kick Ass Hostels

Edinburgh, Scotland

I could literally see Edinburgh Castle from my dorm window! Everything I wanted to see and do was within easy walking distance from the hostel. The atmosphere was pretty good, and everything was clean. Staff was helpful. Lockers available. Personal lights by each bed. And the seating area in the dorm was a really nice touch.

Globe Trott Inns

Uncomfortable atmosphere for backpackers- there were a lot of long-term, much-older guests. There were bathroom renovations going on, so the lines for toilet and shower facilities were long. The mattress was clean and comfortable, though, and there were big cupboards to lock your belongings in. It's not in central London, but it's very near the Tube (Jubilee line). A decent place to stay if you're on a tight budget, though I wouldn't go back.

Vagabonds

Belfast, Northern Ireland

By far the best hostel I've stayed at. Great vibe. Friendly, helpful staff (very laid back). Safe location in the student quarter. The guests are a little loud and didn't always close the door (leaving my belongings vulnerable, but luckily it wasn't a problem). There are lockers available, good wifi, and a great common area. I felt very comfortable there. Be sure to ask staff and other guest for recommendations on things to do!