SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu

Beppu Spa City Oita, Japan

Favorite spot in Japan so far! Both hostel and town. The crowd here, both staff and guests, are a great bunch. Has a bar on location, which helps get people into the social mood. AND onsen! Only complaint is that I could never get hot water in the sinks or showers, maybe it all goes to the onsens. Oh and the walls are paper thin, I could hear everything going on in the rooms next to me. Not a horrible thing, just something to be aware of (though not uncommon at hostels). Would love to come back!

Walking distance from JR station, but otherwise a little out of the way from the rest of town. Khaosan chain has yet to disappoint me - so clean, well-staffed, friendly, great facilities, all on the lower end of the hostel spectrum throughout Japan. At all of their locations I've been to anyway. Highly recommended. They also provide bikes too!

Mixed feelings. On one hand, the staff was very accommodating and helpful. On the other hand, the facilities were very run down, cheap, not clean. The bathroom smelled. The lamp in my capsule fell onto me and then fell apart into pieces. Wasn't broken, so I could put it back together, but felt incredibly grotty and my fingers had a residue on them afterwards. The sheets were clean, I will give them that, but I did not feel safe nor did I feel comfortable. Glad it was only one quick, brief night.

This is my very first hostel; I feel spoiled! New facilities, very friendly and efficient staff, and many conveniences available, including free massage chairs, and extensive kitchen. The rooms were very clean and there are a lot of bathrooms as well. I would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling in Tokyo. It's in the heart of Asakusa with plenty to do in the area. Though it does feel a little out of the way from other areas of Tokyo, the price makes it completely worth it.