Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 26

Generator Hostel Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

My first experience staying at a Generator - got lost due to unclear directions from both the hostel and google maps. The bathroom was strange - so much unused space! The bed was SO comfortable, with a small ledge and individual sockets+lights. I loved it. Staff were a bit cold, but understandable for a large hostel. The daily walking tour that leaves from the hostel was a great way to meet other guests. Location is a bit out of the way but there's a direct airport bus. Good for a 2 night stay.

• 26th Apr 2015

Mosquito Hostel

Krakow, Poland

fantastic, cosy hostel located just outside of the old town (walking there takes about 1-2 minutes). it was easy to find when following the directions provided. staff were very friendly! plus free dinner and breakfast every day! kitchen might need to be a little better ventilated because the next day my clothes all smelled like last night's dinner... but no worries because laundry is free too! minor note: hot water was an issue when both girls' showers were in use. but no big deal :)

• 14th Dec 2014

Jimmy Jumps House/Hostel

Vilnius, Lithuania

fantastic, cosy little hostel where meeting people is easy. the kitchen is well stocked (and well used, in a good way!), the bathrooms are clean - there are only a few but it was enough. Bring your own padlock if you want to lock your valuables in cute handmade(?) wooden lockers. The staff (and owner) were very friendly. Getting there from the bus station was a bit of a walk as you have to enter old town but the directions provided were more than adequate. thumbs up!

• 8th Dec 2014

Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia

Barcelona, Spain

I didn't really do my research on Barcelona beforehand, otherwise I would have chosen a different hostel. this is like an apartment building that is run by a hostel, so my private room was in a flat with 2 other rooms + 1 shared bathroom. my flatmates were smoking weed and drinking late into the night, but they weren't too noisy so it was fine, but the next morning it stank so badly. I'm not into skateboarding and I booked this hostel in a rush. I guess it would appeal to some people.

• 15th Nov 2014

MEININGER Brussels City Center

Brussels, Belgium

definitely more of a hotel than a hostel. each room has its own shower/toilet, for better or for worse (I wouldn't want to be woken up at 5am by a roommate taking a shower). Beds are clean; I was happy to spend the night in a normal (non bunk) bed. Kitchen is messy because nobody puts away the plates/utensils. Lots of noisy schoolkids or older tour groups stay here. Nice bar, friendly reception staff. A bit far from where everything is (20 min walk) but it was a good change from a regular hostel

• 29th Apr 2014

The White Tulip Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

this hostel is is relatively easy to find. you have to wear a green wristband (like the kind that you wear at parties/events) and show it to reception when you want to enter the hostel. I never wore mine. Later in the day the toilets are disgusting, and the showers don't seem as clean as they could be. The hostel is next to a church which chimes its bells every 15min from 930am. There don't seem to be enough lockers vs beds;the lockers are very noisy and difficult to use. No kitchen/common area.

• 25th Apr 2014

Castle Rock Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

this hostel was one of the best I've stayed at so far. the toilets and showers on the first floor, which I used when I first arrived, were not the best (there was a queue for the 4 shower cubicles), but afterwards I was on the third floor which had more showers that looked more clean. There are events going on in the hostel almost every night. The staff were very friendly and I was given a map with recommendations for what to do when I checked in. And the location was excellent!

• 17th Apr 2014