Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 25

MEININGER Brussels City Center

Brussels, Belgium

definitely more of a hotel than a hostel. each room has its own shower/toilet, for better or for worse (I wouldn't want to be woken up at 5am by a roommate taking a shower). Beds are clean; I was happy to spend the night in a normal (non bunk) bed. Kitchen is messy because nobody puts away the plates/utensils. Lots of noisy schoolkids or older tour groups stay here. Nice bar, friendly reception staff. A bit far from where everything is (20 min walk) but it was a good change from a regular hostel

• 29th Apr 2014

The White Tulip Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

this hostel is is relatively easy to find. you have to wear a green wristband (like the kind that you wear at parties/events) and show it to reception when you want to enter the hostel. I never wore mine. Later in the day the toilets are disgusting, and the showers don't seem as clean as they could be. The hostel is next to a church which chimes its bells every 15min from 930am. There don't seem to be enough lockers vs beds;the lockers are very noisy and difficult to use. No kitchen/common area.

• 25th Apr 2014

Castle Rock Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

this hostel was one of the best I've stayed at so far. the toilets and showers on the first floor, which I used when I first arrived, were not the best (there was a queue for the 4 shower cubicles), but afterwards I was on the third floor which had more showers that looked more clean. There are events going on in the hostel almost every night. The staff were very friendly and I was given a map with recommendations for what to do when I checked in. And the location was excellent!

• 17th Apr 2014