Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 40

Mama Brasil Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Bruno works really hard to make sure the hostel is clean, guests are happy and have everything they need. Super-attentive staff all around. I had fun hanging out with them and the other guests in the bar during the evenings, and on the great little back garden during breakfast. I did NOT have any security problems-but having stayed at another hostel in São Paulo that was robbed, I saw room for improvement (cameras, check in procedures). It's a new hostel and surely improvements are on the way.

USA Hostels San Diego

San Diego, USA

Baixa Flat

Lisbon, Portugal

This apartment was fantastic. Much bigger than I anticipated. Could easily sleep 4. Great space! One weird thing: the entrance was through a souvenir shop - which seemed a bit dodgy at first. Once I saw how great the place was though, I upgraded the entrance to "quirky". Would recommend the place for a small group of friends looking to relax in this lovely city.

Gallery Hostel Porto

Porto, Portugal

Loved the dinners. Really helpful and friendly staff. Great interior spaces: from the nice long kitchen table for community meals, the bar area, and the relaxing media room. Even a "winter garden" for the smokers. Spotless bathrooms - I didn't even feel the need to use my Shower Havaianas! Just an all-around great place.

Rather than "poor," it would be fairer to say that the staff is "below average." They just weren't very friendly overall. Because most of my other hostel experiences have been far better in terms of staff friendliness, helpfulness, and charisma--I have to say that India House was below that expectation. The place is neat though. It's a compund! Great backyard area for socializing. Love the food that they make and serve--breakfasts and dinners were very good and cheap. Would recommend the place

Biergarten Hostel

Ilha Grande, Brazil

Everything about this place is good, but the owners/staff are exceptional! Highly recommended.

La Casa de las Boyas

Punta del Diablo, Uruguay

I adored this place! The owners are a delight and the atmosphere is very cozy. The hostel location is fantastic - across from the beach and the Diablo Tranquilo bar, near a little market and only 10 min walk to the heart of the village. Punta de Diablo, during Carnaval, felt both relaxing and entertaining without being overwhelmingly crowded. I had a wonderful stay.

LimeTime Hostels - V. Madalena

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Great bar, great rooftop. Good beds, bad pillows! The Metro is a little hike, but the buses are convenient. The neighborhood is upscale bohemian and fun. Like many other guests, I overstayed my planned reservation because I was having too much fun to leave. Thanks to all the staff for making the nights so fun! I'll be back soon.

Hostel/ Albergue Estrelas no Mar

Florianopolis, Brazil

After making two separate reservations at this hostel (a month apart), I made a series of attempts to contact the staff to confirm that my friend and I would be in the same room. They never replied. I took this as a bad sign and, given that we were traveling in the busiest travel week of the year, we made other arrangements. It was disappointing.

Tupiniquim Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The Tupiniquim staff was excellent! Helpful, knowledgeable, personable and fun. They hooked us up with activities, including taking us out on the town with them. The hostel provided great meal options, and plenty of "in-home" entertainment (movies, ping-pong, foosball, hammocks, and caipirihas!) for those nights of recovery. This place has great ammenities and a really warm atmosphere. One of the best hostel experiences I've had.