Location USA, Gender Female, Age 42

Smart Hotel, Mandalay, Myanmar
27th Dec 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Smart Hotel and would recommend it. The manager is very charismatic and the staff went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied. They helped coordinate a tour, arrange a bus ticket I'd had a hard time booking, and recommended a great dinner spot. The rooftop lounge is great too! Very satisfied.

Mama Brasil Hostel, Sao Paulo, Brazil
19th Mar 2014

Bruno works really hard to make sure the hostel is clean, guests are happy and have everything they need. Super-attentive staff all around. I had fun hanging out with them and the other guests in the bar during the evenings, and on the great little back garden during breakfast. I did NOT have any security problems-but having stayed at another hostel in São Paulo that was robbed, I saw room for improvement (cameras, check in procedures). It's a new hostel and surely improvements are on the way.

USA Hostels San Diego, San Diego, USA
8.0
4th Jan 2014

Baixa Flat, Lisbon, Portugal
26th Nov 2013

This apartment was fantastic. Much bigger than I anticipated. Could easily sleep 4. Great space! One weird thing: the entrance was through a souvenir shop - which seemed a bit dodgy at first. Once I saw how great the place was though, I upgraded the entrance to "quirky". Would recommend the place for a small group of friends looking to relax in this lovely city.

Gallery Hostel Porto, Porto, Portugal
22nd Nov 2013

Loved the dinners. Really helpful and friendly staff. Great interior spaces: from the nice long kitchen table for community meals, the bar area, and the relaxing media room. Even a "winter garden" for the smokers. Spotless bathrooms - I didn't even feel the need to use my Shower Havaianas! Just an all-around great place.

India House Backpackers Hostel, New Orleans, USA
7.7
28th Dec 2012

Rather than "poor," it would be fairer to say that the staff is "below average." They just weren't very friendly overall. Because most of my other hostel experiences have been far better in terms of staff friendliness, helpfulness, and charisma--I have to say that India House was below that expectation. The place is neat though. It's a compund! Great backyard area for socializing. Love the food that they make and serve--breakfasts and dinners were very good and cheap. Would recommend the place

Biergarten Hostel, Ilha Grande, Brazil
24th Mar 2011

Everything about this place is good, but the owners/staff are exceptional! Highly recommended.

La Casa de las Boyas, Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
9.3
17th Feb 2010

I adored this place! The owners are a delight and the atmosphere is very cozy. The hostel location is fantastic - across from the beach and the Diablo Tranquilo bar, near a little market and only 10 min walk to the heart of the village. Punta de Diablo, during Carnaval, felt both relaxing and entertaining without being overwhelmingly crowded. I had a wonderful stay.

LimeTime Hostels - V. Madalena, Sao Paulo, Brazil
14th Apr 2009

Great bar, great rooftop. Good beds, bad pillows! The Metro is a little hike, but the buses are convenient. The neighborhood is upscale bohemian and fun. Like many other guests, I overstayed my planned reservation because I was having too much fun to leave. Thanks to all the staff for making the nights so fun! I'll be back soon.

Pousada Estrelas no Mar, Florianopolis, Brazil
5.3
2nd Jan 2009

After making two separate reservations at this hostel (a month apart), I made a series of attempts to contact the staff to confirm that my friend and I would be in the same room. They never replied. I took this as a bad sign and, given that we were traveling in the busiest travel week of the year, we made other arrangements. It was disappointing.

Tupiniquim Hostel, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9.3
27th Nov 2007

The Tupiniquim staff was excellent! Helpful, knowledgeable, personable and fun. They hooked us up with activities, including taking us out on the town with them. The hostel provided great meal options, and plenty of "in-home" entertainment (movies, ping-pong, foosball, hammocks, and caipirihas!) for those nights of recovery. This place has great ammenities and a really warm atmosphere. One of the best hostel experiences I've had.