Black Swan

Barcelona, Spain

Great hostel in a good location, just a 10 minute walk from Placa Catalunya. Good beds and rooms, nice bathrooms and strong wifi. Staff was friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed the bar crawl we did through the hostel. Free breakfast was nice, though essentially useless. I'd definitely stay again!

Very nice hostel with all the best of everything. Friendly, accommodating staff, nice rooms with lockers, pleasant bathrooms and very good atmosphere in public areas. The one hideously annoying aspect was that there was exactly ONE outlet in the entire 4-bed dorm, which was quite inconvenient. But with that, and a couple of terribly rude roommates aside, I'd happily stay again!

Vita Nova

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I think the only saving grace of this place is that it's a houseboat. Other than that, it was a remarkably cramped (to be expected,) impersonal stay in an odd area of Amsterdam. The hostess was modestly friendly, but not accommodating or mindful of guests' needs. My room was a single and was absolutely TINY. I didn't fault the place for this though, because I opted for the boat. The bathrooms were fine, and breakfast was actually extremely generous and delicious. The location was simply...odd.

Moonstone Hostel

Koh Phangan, Thailand

Honestly, when you book a Playboy-themed hostel, you can't expect much, and luckily we did not. The staff (aside from the random European man we saw working one morning) doesn't seem to speak a word of English. They weren't unpleasant, just not exactly attentive. The dorm was fine, average beds and setup with lockers and personal fan, outlet and light. The bathrooms were grossly moist all the time, but they cleaned daily. It's a bit quiet, and far from the beach, but for $3/night, it's a steal!

• 4th Jun 2014

You have 3 staff who work in the day. The European is the boss who speaks French, Thai and English. I assure you my day starts at 6:00 am :O). You can see me in the morning or in the evening at the bar. 3 beaches are 3 minutes walk. See you :O)

Absolutely loved this place. The nicest, most welcoming people in all of Thailand are the hosts, and they do everything they can to make your stay perfect. The room was basic, but very comfortable and clean. The location was a bit of a hike from some of the more touristy areas, but not at all inaccessible. I would eagerly stay here again if I returned to Chiang Mai!

• 1st Jun 2014

NapPark Hostel at Khao San

Bangkok, Thailand

Lovely hostel in a great location on Khao San Road, the hub of backpackers in Bangkok. Very pleasant and open space, good, friendly atmosphere, and extremely helpful English-speaking staff. The beds, however, were some of the worst I've ever slept on. Thin, hard mattresses with no padding whatsoever. They were certainly shocking. However, the good outweighed the bad and I would happily return.

• 29th May 2014

Wake Up! Sydney Central

Sydney, Australia

The nicest hostel I have ever stayed in. Great location, just a 2-minute walk from Central Station. The staff could have been a touch friendlier, and they seemed a bit unreasonable with the "no alcohol in the rooms" rule but it was generally not a problem. Nice, large lockers for every bed, personal outlet and light, and comfortable mattresses. Bathrooms were clean and pleasant and common areas were modern and welcoming.

• 26th May 2014

The Attic Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

Great location very close to airport bus stop. Central to everything with good quality rooms and well-stocked kitchen. Very pleasant, helpful staff. The showers in general always sort of looked like they could use a good bleaching, but they were by no means disgusting. Lockers would have been nice, as well as taking off the wifi limit, but overall a very good stay.

• 21st Apr 2014