Hotel Medea

Milan, Italy

There is only one key per dorm, and it needs to be returned to the front desk once dorm door is unlocked. Door also remains unlocked when you're inside, so anyone could walk in while you're changing or sleeping. No lockers and no common area. Pros: free wifi, nice neighbourhood, nice 40 min walk to city centre or you can easily bus.

• 23rd Jun 2014

Camping Serenissima

Venice, Italy

Directions to get to camp from Venice was not clear, as bus stop B is not marked. Also, the only thing I really wanted to do was see Venice at night. By the time I had settled into the camp and was ready to go, it was 9pm and was advised by the staff that there would be no point in going as the last bus back would be too soon for me to see anything in Venice. I thought I read that their buses ran every 30 minutes until about midnight,but that was also inaccurate. Great staff and facilities, tho.

• 21st Jun 2014

Hostel of the Sun

Naples, Italy

I liked the staff, and bathrooms and dorms were clean. Spacious lockers. The only downfall was that there were signs saying that we shouldn't shower after midnight as to not disturb those who were sleeping. Naples is really humid, it would have been nice to not have to worry about that.

• 10th Jun 2014