Serenity Hostels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Very nice staff, plenty of toilets and showers which is a first (though there weren't many guests), good wifi connection, kept very clean, dorms are a good size, great location near plenty of shops and restaurants from a range of prices. BUT the terrible karoake from the bar below may be too loud for most people. I can sleep through anything but it was even tough for me. And the kitchen isn't much of one - no utensils to use and you have to buy cold water. Defo recommend and would stay again

Shophouse The Social Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

Great location near the shops, bars and restaurants of Bugis (even the cafe below is great) and close to Bugis station. Very nice and helpful staff. Dorms are ok - each bed has a light and plug socket but can get crowded with little floor space and lockers are quite small. Showers are pretty rubbish and need cleaning more often - in fact everything needs more cleaning - or at least leave a mop in each so people can clean up after themselves. Wifi is good. Overall is a decent place to stay.

MEININGER Amsterdam City West

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Not seen a room as nice since I was at a Marriot - clean and modern decor, comfortable beds and bedding, large bathroom, and all cleaned and maintained very well. But the location sucks. Yeah it's spitting distance to Sloterdijk station and the extensive train/bus/tram network but why get on a train to Centraal when you can just stay IN Centraal?

We'd like to thank you for your kind comment, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you indeed again in Amsterdam! Your Meininger Team Amsterdam

Koine' Hostel

Salerno, Italy

Seemed more like a halfway house than a hostel with some rather odd local characters and the fact that it used to be a school makes it even stranger. The dorm rooms are basic but you don't need anything more. The school-style toilets and communal showers, most of which dribbled water out, needed a good clean (I kept flipflops on in the showers). Wifi is poor and the common room is a school staff lounge complete with dodgy coffee machine. But the manager was very helpful and friendly.

Hostel Bella Capri

Naples, Italy

Very nice and helpful staff. Room is pretty basic but I had a 4 bed dorm with private bathroom to myself so I was quite happy with it, even if the bathroom was pretty rundown. Wifi connection is good and the breakfast is nothing special but fills you up. The location isn't great but I'm not sure there is anywhere particularly great in Naples.

Ostello San Frediano

Lucca, Italy

Has a weird Shining kind of feel about it, but I liked that. Staff are helpful and pleasant. Rooms are basic but clean and well maintained. The shared toilets/showers on my floor weren't great - one shower was broken so only one for all the guys on a whole floor (the floors are quite big) was pretty ridiculous. Wifi can only be accessed in the front lobby, not even in a lounge a few metres away that claims to be for wifi use.

Youth Meeting Home

Florence, Italy

Firstly, the staff are great. Friendly, helpful and just a pack of jokers. The location is fantastic, right in the heart of Florence and a short walk away from all the sights. At the price, it's a great bargain. But the wifi is a mess, if it's even working. And the bunk beds don't have ladders, making getting on and off the top bunk tricky to say the least. Sort these out (but especially the wifi) and it would be a great place.

Generator Venice

Venice, Italy

Very nice, swanky and modern rather more like a hotel than a hostel. The beds are probably the most comfortable I've had in a hostel, the under-bed lockers are great and the plug sockets and reading light next to your bed are great . But there are far too many people in each dorm and the toilets/showers get dirty pretty fawst but that happens with so many people. And some might like that the hostel is away from the busier part of Venice but I didn't as I found the vaporettos to be a PITA

Like a 5 star hotel compared to Hostel TO I was in previously. Brilliant location, modern and clean interiors, very friendly, helpful and multilingual staff, the communal areas are really nice and all at a great price. The only downside was that the wifi was a bit temperamental but if that was dealt with it would be the perfect hostel. Can't recommend enough really.

Hostel TO

Turin, Italy

I've stayed in many hostels and this was easily the worst. BY A LOT. There character limit isn't enough to accurately portray how godawful this place was (Russian gulags would be more inviting). It's in a terrible location; rooms were filthy; toilet/showers were even worse; I was in the bottom bunk and was paranoid the top would collapse on top of me; wifi was patchy at best, and I was scammed out of 5 Euro. I'd say avoid like the plague but I'd rather be infected and sleep in Porta Nuova

Sidsmums Travellers Retreat

Carcassonne, France

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. As there were few other guests while I was there it felt like having my own holiday villa. Although it is far from Carcassonne, arrangements can be made to be dropped off and picked up. The family who own the hostel - Peter, Tracy, Ben and Sarah - are very friendly and accommodating and just nice to chat with. If I was to go back to the area I'd definitely stay there again and I've already recommended it to other backpackers!