Nice homely hostel in with a friendly atmosphere and excellent staff , always looking to help and give suggestions on where to go and what to do! Great location close to the metro in Botafogo, a safe area of Rio.There is a spacious communal area making it an easy place to meet other people.Unfortunately they we're refurbing the downstairs for the World Cup while I was there but I still enjoyed my stay.

• 23rd May 2014

HI - Lisbon Centre

Lisbon, Portugal

The youth hostel is what traditional hostels were like , very large with a canteen, plastic furniture,it's built for school groups and tours, not for an independent traveller. Positives : good staff, close to metro Negatives : Old , dirty, poor wifi , flooded laundry area because of rain, poor location and I could on.... My bad impression probably wasn't helped by a huge group of French children staying there but I suppose that is just bad luck! For 9 euros you get what you pay for

• 20th May 2014

Shiado Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Positive : nice homely hostel, clean , great location and good staff Negatives : male toilet : smelly and nowhere to hang clothes. A few older (40+) guests and a number of 'live in' travellers which can sometimes make it harder to meet others if you're only there for a few days.

• 17th May 2014