Hostel Meyerbeer Beach

Nice, France

They are #1 Hostel in France for a good reason! This was my favourite hostel of the 10 I stayed in on my Euro-trip. They organize walking tours and pub crawls so you are always meeting new people. They are so close to the beach and old town; you won't need any public transport! Also next door to a market. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Very secure! Passwords needed to enter each floor at night. This hostel was where I met the most people on my month-long trip! No complaints!

Lion Lodge Lucerne

Lucerne, Switzerland

The washrooms need to have proper working locks so people of the opposite gender cannot enter. This was the only hostel of my 11 during my trip that asked for a deposit before giving me the key-Passport, drivers license or money... Didn't like this at all and found it unnecessary. Somehow a man entered our room at 4 in the morning; we were sure to have shut the door properly. Thankfully one of us was awake and told him to leave. It's fine for a one-night stay, good location, but nothing special

Dear guest. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Thank you for coming to stay at the Lion Lodge. Very happy to hear you thought the hostel was cozy;-)), even not all did live up to your expectations. Thanks for the tip and we will try to be more engaging. Kind Regards, „the Lion Lodge Team“

Bellpark Hostel

Lucerne, Switzerland

Great hostel all around. I chose it for its proximity to the cable car--only a five minute walk. The bus ride downtown is not that bad. Breakfast is delicious and they serve coffee and tea as well. The staff was friendly and informative. I had to switch to a different hostel, Lion Lodge, for my second night because Bell Park was all booked. I would recommend Bell Park over Lion Lodge because of it is more secure, cleaner and they agreed to store my luggage after checking out!

MEININGER Salzburg City Center

Salzburg, Austria

The only downside of this hostel is how far it is from the city center and how buses stop very early on all nights of the week. It is walkable--20/25 minutes, but returning at night might be a concern. Very secure--you needed to use your key card to use the elevator and there were lockers in the rooms. There is a bar and there are always many people at breakfast so meeting other travelers is possible.

Hello, thank you for your review. We are pleased that your stay at the MEININGER Hotel was great. We hope to see you again in our other Hotels. For example in Amsterdam, Berlin, Brussels, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hamburg, London, Munich or Vienna. Greetings from Salzburg, the MEININGER- Team

Do Step Inn

Vienna, Austria

Very far from the city center but very close to the train station--the quality of location depends on what you prioritize. This was a very clean hostel--the kitchen, rooms, washrooms were all super clean. It has a bar and a breakfast area so the space is present for socializing but as it is mostly families and older couples here it can be difficult for young travelers to meet. When I was there there were many other 20-somethings and we had a great time drinking and socializing. Very good!

Little Quarter Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

This was the cleanest hostel I have been in--felt like a hotel! It is in a great location--right between the old town and the castle. The room was very big for only 5 people so you will be very comfortable.. There was one amazing, friendly staff member, and one blunt and irritable one. There is not much of a social atmosphere here--no bar or common area making it difficult to meet others. Walking from the train station is all uphill, just as a warning for people with lots of luggage.

Agata at the front desk was friendly, informative and took me on a brief tour of the hostel which I wasn't expecting- most just say the information. Close enough to the core, only 15 minutes walking. Great breakfast! There was quite a lot of food and a social atmosphere in the kitchen. The only problem was that the washrooms were always wet with puddles covering the entire floor and not enough shelf space to keep my clothes dry.

Cityhostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

Why are there no locks on the washrooms? Why don't you have curtains or frosted glass for the washroom windows? Some men opened the door to talk to a female friend who was showering with no consideration for the other women using the showers or getting dressed. Locks on the doors would prevent this. Outside of the shower area the space to get dressed has a massive window with no curtain. At night with the lights on in the washroom anyone outside can see in. Privacy should be a priority!

Flying Pig Uptown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

This was definitely one of the best hostels I stayed in! The social atmosphere is what makes it amazing. The bar and smoking room are always full with young people having a good time. The room was clean, has lockers under the beds, and there are enough showers so you will never have to wait. Great location- not right in the core but close enough-- and the uptown neighbourhood is full of restaurants and parks so you won't feel remote from the city center. Staff was friendly too!

Hi, thank you for your great review! We look forward to seeing you again. Cheers - The Flying Pig Uptown

Hola Hostel Eixample

Barcelona, Spain

It's a great location; only 15 minutes to Placa Catalunya or 2 minutes to a nearby Metro stop. The common area was big and great for tourists meeting new people. They had local events advertised for anyone interested. I think that towels should be included in the price--most people would want at least one shower while staying. Also, in a 6 stall washroom, only one of the stalls had toilet paper....over the entire 24 hour stay. If staff regularly checked the washroom, this wouldn't have happened

• 24th May 2014