Controra is loads of fun! The beds were super comfortable, the staff are ridiculously friendly, they're always there to help or to hang out with. Definitely stay at this hostel if given the chance.

Cowgate Tourist Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

This isn't a hostel so much as a long-term stay. My bunk was in an apartment filled with people moving to Edinburgh. There were 3 rooms with 6 bunks sharing one bathroom. Budget backpackers across the street was much better in terms of 'hostel environment'

In the winter in the city you will find a lot of hostels accommodate long term guests looking for work in the city. This is very normal. Budget backpackers also have there own long term hostel which is different to ours so I am sorry you were not happy here but I must explain it is a hostel for tourists, however in the winter season it may feel like we have more long term than tourists.

Hlemmur Square

Reykjavik, Iceland

Best hostel I've stayed at in my 8 months of travelling. The beds are super comfortable, showers are great, rooms are massive. The staff are amazing especially Matt the group coordinator, he became my new best friend. Raphael, Andreas and Michael were also amazing and helpful. Super friendly. I'm gonna miss everyone. Best hostel.

Interlaken, Switzerland

The lobby kinda looked like the one from the shining. There's no atmosphere. The shower was below average. Not worth that price. More like a hotel. I slipped on the stairs.

Bada Bing Hostel Istanbul

Istanbul, Turkey

Bada bing was awesome. Especially Alex, he helped us with everything we needed. The location is perfect for getting anywhere on the tram. Showers were good.

• 16th Sep 2014

Odyssee Globetrotter Hostel

Berlin, Germany

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Generator Hostel Hamburg

Hamburg, Germany

I had to sleep in the lobby one night. The room was too hot and had no air conditioning. The bathroom is tiny, shower it right at your face and the water gets everywhere.

Townside Hostel Bremen

Bremen, Germany

Really nice showers

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Ecomama is a pretty cool hostel. Definitely not for those who are going to amsterdam to party in the red light district. There were some cool people to go out with, but it was a lot more chiller.

Shangri-Lagos Hostel

Lagos, Portugal

The shangri-lagos is awesome. Every time you went into the garden there was someone to hang out with, incl. staff. I made friends with every staff member, even the night guy. They were all super nice and helpful with anything you needed. Will, the bartender was great, he took us on an impromptu pub crawl and told us where to go on other nights. The beds are beds, the rooms are rooms, but the atmosphere was great. There were lockers in the rooms but no locks on the door but didn't feel sketchy

• 20th Jun 2014