Hostal El Hangar

Medellin, Colombia

This place is perfect for what it is. It's a 2-minute drive from the international airport and they have free shuttle service to and from running 24 hours. The reception seemed to be open all hours too; I know I got there around midnight and checked in. The rooms are clean and well supplied. There were several(!) big fleece blankets and two towels were waiting for me on the bed. I can't speak to the atmosphere during the day, but I imagine that this isn't a hostel people stay for long periods.

Welcome Surf Hostel

Ilha Grande, Brazil

This was a pretty hip hostel a short walk from the main village. I loved the hammocks in the common area, they were so comfortable!! The breakfast was good and the rooms were reasonably clean. It got cold at night so make sure you ask for a blanket.

Albergue Vila Carioca Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I loved this place!! The staff there is hands down the nicest, coolest, and most helpful staff of any hostel I've stayed in. All day they happily answered a barrage of questions from the guests, about arranging city tours, tips on where to go out, or calling for a cab from the hostel. The atmosphere at the hostel is also amazing. I met so many great people and had a few great nights just partying at the hostel. It's not beach front, but very close to Botafogo metro and other tourist stuff.

• 9th Jul 2014