Reviews: vanelic

Location Croatia, Gender Male, Age 34

27th Nov 2015

Excellent location, just few steps away from Nanjing Donglu and all the shops and restaurants. Also 15 minutes walk to the People's Sq and the same to the Bund. The location is really incredible! Staff is very helpful. I stayed in a dorm and found it to be too small for so many beds. In my 6-bed dorm there usually would be 4 beds and not 6. There was no space and felt crowded. Aside from that, bed was very comfortable and everything was clean.

Hostel Marina, Cagliari, Italy
28th Jul 2015

Honestly I expected more atmosphere from a converted 16th century convent. It looks very empty, barebone and I've been in many hostels in converted old buildings to know how good it can be with a little bit of imagination. Also quite difficult to find, not far from Piazza Yenne but in a side street and no signs at all to the hostel. Room was clean and spacious and air-condition is a great plus. Breakfast was so-so but I've seen worse elsewhere. Wifi is not good in the upper floor rooms.

Rio Guesthouse, St Lawrence Gap, Barbados
12th Jun 2015

Lets face it - this is a backpacker's place. If you are after a clean and cheap accomodation and in very good location, this is the right place. If you want something more, keep looking. The only negative thing I faced was finding this place on arrival - no signs at all!!!

Hostel Marmota, Innsbruck, Austria
12th Mar 2015

I probably had the best sleep on my trip here in hostel Marmota. Bed was good, room simple but comfortable, warm and clean. Nice lounge downstairs and a kitchen to cook your meal. Only a bit out of way so if you don't have your own car it might be tricky to get here. And good value for money.

Auberge de la Paix Québec, Quebec, Canada
7th Jun 2014

The location is perfect and so is the price. It is clean. I didn't like small windows in the dorm so the air was a bit stuffy at night in the room. Breakfast was very poor even for a hostel standard. When I stayed there, there was a group of school children staying as well and the hostel was too noisy. There were door bangings and yelling even at 7am. Care should be taken not to put school children on the same floor with other guests.

HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel, Ottawa, Canada
6th Jun 2014

Perfect location right in the centre of Ottawa.I booked a single cell and it was really small - space for one bed and a small luggage. It might be a problem for some people with claustrophobic problems. Also, next door is a very popular club so it is quiet noisy until early morning hours. Don't forget the earplugs. Otherwise it was a nice stay.

4th Jun 2014

It is a basic but clean accommodation and not too far from the downtown. It takes 20 minutes on foot. Nearby there are some good shops, supermarkets, bars and restaurants. Would use this place again!

HI Marin Headlands, Sausalito, USA
26th Jan 2014

This hostel is opened only until 11:30pm. There was no info about this in my confirmation e-mail so I came across locked door after a long flight from Europe. Apart from this my stay was perfect and would use this place again. It is just outside SFO and if you have a car it is not difficult to get to the city.

Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand
14th Dec 2013

It was a short stay as my late night flight was delayed but I enjoyed sleeping in the jail for the first time in my life :) Nice experience. The only negative thing is human hair that I found on both of my pillows...

790 on George, Sydney, Australia
12th Dec 2013

I will never again stay in this hostel. As a person who visited 96 countries and stayed in numerous hostels, this one rates as one of the worst. First, quality of bed is so-so. Second, there should be more toilets and showers on each floor because there are too many people and there is a lot of waiting. And they should be cleaner. Third, there should be some free wifi and luggage storage. But the worst was when I requested 30mins extension on check-out, I got a rude reply: "You have 10mins!"...

Fortuna Hostel, Vilnius, Lithuania
22nd Oct 2013

Good about this hostel is its central location, few mins walk from the old town, and kind and helpfull staff. Apart from that it wasn't a good stay. Beds were uncomfortable and I ended up waking up in the morning with back pain. Sheets were so short that couldn't cover the entire bed while pillows were not quiet clean. The worst of all was the dirtiness of the common area, especially toilets that smelt of urine, and overall throughout the hostel there was a bed smell. I wouldn't stay here again.

Central Hostel Riga, Riga, Latvia
20th Oct 2013

We really enjoyed staying in this hostel. It was clean, warm, nice staff, good location just 10mins walk from the old town and with lots of shops and bars nearby. The only minus was the atmosphere - it was so quiet and somewhat boring and other guests didn't feel like mingling. Apart from that, it was great and definitely would stay here again.

Oslo Hostel Central, Oslo, Norway
15th Aug 2013

I had excellent stay in this hostel right from the check-in until the check-out. The staff was superfriendly, fast and efficacious. You can see that this is a new hostel as everything is extraclean, new beds... Nice kitchen for cooking. Excellent location in the very center of Oslo, just 5mins from the Town Hall and the Port, Oslo Train and Bus Stations, Karl Johans Main Shopping St. Would definitely use this hotel again. Thank you for an excellent stay!

Bath YMCA, Bath, England
11th May 2013

This is probably the cheapest place you can stay in Bath. Clean, right in the center of the city, kind staff always ready to help... Would definitely stay here again...

Akureyri Backpackers, Akureyri, Iceland
7th Mar 2013

Right in the centre of Akureyri and excellent base for nearby activities. Very clean and warm, comfy bed. And one of the most secure hostels I've been to. Would use this hostel again next time I am in town.

Silk Road Backpackers, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
7.1
2nd Nov 2012

When I arrived to given address, the place was being renovated but they showed me a room and let me in although I arrived at 10am. I felt like being at a construction site and not a hostel. But it will be nice once finished. Also no key for the room. Staff was kind and location excellent, maybe 20mins walk from the main square.

Dear Vedran,Thank you for your comment, Really last month all things regarding Hostel was in process of changes, because we are doing our best by recommendation of our guest who had visited us,(change the place for bigger size, change location to be close to the center and made a renovation .Now we are in process to be the best Hostel in Central Asia with low price and other good things.Thanks much. Kind Regards.

HI-Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Canada
21st Feb 2012

This was a perfect stay. I came to Mont Tremblant for skiing and there was a shuttle stop just in front of the hostel and the ski resort was just 10mins away. Room was clean and warm, staff superfriendly. Hopefuly see you next year.

Inter-Hostel, Stuttgart, Germany
4th Feb 2012

This hostel is right in the center of Stuttgart. There are shops, restaurants, fast foods and bars nearby. It is spotlessly clean and warm. Would stay here again.

Casa Kultour, Valparaiso, Chile
19th Jan 2012

Excellent location on Cerro Alegre colourful 'hood. Clean and quiet. But beds could be more comfortable and a bit overpriced for what you receive.

We are sorry that you think our values are overpriced, but you booked a double room and arrived just with one person.

Ruca Hostel, Puerto Varas, Chile
14th Jan 2012

I'd like to forget that I ever stayed in this hostel. This place was so noisy that I haven't slept for 2 nights I was there. It has paper-thin walls and you could hear people whispering from other rooms,the wooden floors also leave noise and the worst part was the party in a backyard until like 2am-2:30am (although there are signs all around the hostel that no noise should be done after midnight). If you're after the party, come to this hostel. If you want to sleep at all, just find another one.

Dear The house in which you stay, ie this is an old hostel with over 100 years. If they wanted a hotel with concrete walls should have picked one at the moment to see that wood was the typical houses of Puerto Varas. About the party of the night was oragnizada together with all who were staying at the hostel and had the approval of all, you were the one who was not involved which is unfortunate because we try to interact with everyone and that the hostel is small only for 15 people. Anyway thanks for your comment is good for us as we take it with humor ... since the walls are paper ... if not wood. good trip and try best to stay in a five star hotel if your pretensions are so high in construction.

Pioneros Hostel, El Calafate, Argentina
3rd Jan 2012

Excellent value for money, good staff and location is just 15mins walk from the centre. The only downside is there are no electricity plugs in any of dorns! This is the first hostel I ever stayed without plugs in dorms. In the modern world where we backpack with cameras, mobile phones and laptops, we have to charge them somewhere. There were several plugs outside, in common areas, but I didn't feel secure to leave my ipad or iphone to charge there overnight.

Estacion Buenos Aires Hostel, Buenos Aires, Argentina
18th Dec 2011

Excellent location with great communication with other interesting neighbourhoods of Buenos Aires. Comparing with other hostels I stayed on this trip, Estacion Buenos Aires was the quietest of all and I enjoyed that. Friendly staff. It would be nice to organize some activities like barbecue so that the people could mingle in the afternoon. Just a suggestion.

Sur Hostel, Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
17th Dec 2011

Everything was ok.

El Galope Horse Farm, Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
15th Dec 2011

This is one of the best hostels I stayed so far on this South American trip. Excellent place to relax after Montevideo or Buenos Aires. The countryside is quiet and beautiful. Monica and Miguel are perfect hosts and everything is very clean and cosy. Excellent value for money! Will definitely return here next time I'm in Uruguay!

Thank you for your comment. We also enjoyed your stay with us. Here we are whenever you want to drop by again. Cheers Miguel and Monica

Unplugged Hostel Pocitos, Montevideo, Uruguay
13th Dec 2011

Clean dorm. Super friendly staff. Just for my taste a bit too noisy as the party went down until 5-6am both nights I was there. And that entrance bell is just too annoying!

Black Cat Hostel, Asuncion, Paraguay
26th Nov 2011

Very satisfied with this hostel located in the very centre of Asuncion, just few steps from all the important sights. Clean and friendly staff.

Indigo Youth Hostel, Valencia, Spain
18th May 2011

It is situated in Valencia's old town, few minutes away on foot from most of the city sights. Clean and safe.

Reymel Hotel Cyprus, Kyrenia, Cyprus
14th May 2011

Location is excellent, just few steps from the harbour. Staff was kind but you should think of offering some tours to nearby locations. When I enquired, there was none on offer. Also I would consider putting a lock on the dorm door for extra safety as now everybody can enter the hostel and the dorm without problem. There are lockers provided free of charge but a door that locks would be an extra plus.

Luxembourg City Hostel, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
28th Mar 2011

The cheapest place to stay in Luxembourg City. Clean and warm and only 5-10mins walk from the Old Town. The beds are fine but you should buy new and better pillows. Breakfast was ok. The only thing I was really annoyed were the showers. I was on the 2nd floor and the showers were closed. There was a sign: "Go to the 1st floor or basement". I went to the 1st and those showers were also closed. Then I went to the basement and the showers were finally there and working. You should have more showers

25th Jan 2011

A great hostel. I can't say anything negative about it. Everything was A+. I arrived at 6 am on a train from Chengdu and they immediately accommodated me at no extra cost! Would definitely stay here again.

Stone Flower, Kamyanets Podilski, Ukraine
15th Sep 2010

When I arrived to a given address in the middle of the night, I was told that this hostel Stone Flower has long been closed down and that now they had another one. I had to take another taxi to that place where I was waited and escorted to an appartment of some 7 beds. I had this appartment all for myself and it was clean and not too far from the centre of Kamyanets. But you should announce that Stone Flower is closed...

The Kosmonaut Hostel, Lviv, Ukraine
14th Sep 2010

I enjoyed my stay very much. Kosmonaut is right in the centre of Lviv, with lots of bars and restaurans nearby. The staff was great - very helpful and kind and all of the people working in Kosmonaut speak English! :) Will definitely come back here when I am in Lviv next time.

Blablabla' Bari, Bari, Italy
19th Jun 2010

Excellent location - just 5mins walk from main railway station and 10mins walk from the old city and the best shopping streets. It's clean. Francesco is great host. Would definitely stay here again.

Guesthouse Velania, Pristina, Kosovo
7.0
21st Jan 2010

Clean and warm. At first I thought it to be a bit far away from the centre but eventually found out that the centre was only 15mins walk from the guesthouse.

Hostel Allende, Morelia, Mexico
18th Nov 2009

Excellent location, just 10 mins walk from the main square. Spacious, clean and comfortable rooms. Free internet wi-fi. Kind staff. Only the breakfast is meagre - two slices of bread and one jam + tea, milk or coffee. Otherwise A+.

Las Margaritas, Zacatecas, Mexico
16th Nov 2009

Ok hostel, not far from the centre. Kind staff and spacious rooms but way too noisy through the night + too cold at night as the temperature tends to go down and there\'s no heating in the room.

Tower Bridge Backpackers, Puerto Escondido, Mexico
3rd Nov 2009

What a fun place to stay in Pto Escondido! I\'ve been to over 60 countries so far staying in lots of hotels and hostels and this one was one of the best. My friend and I had lots of fun, staff is great, rooms large and clean and the location is just excellent! Only 10 mins walk from that fabulous Carizalillo beach! Will definitely stay here again when I return to Puerto Escondido!

La Villada Inn Hostel, Oaxaca, Mexico
31st Oct 2009

What an excellent place to stay in Oaxaca! It is a bit far away from the centre and you have to use the taxi but it is worth it. Well done guys and muchas gracias for making memorable our stay in Oaxaca (espeacially for taking us all to the cemetery for Dia de los Muertos)! I highly recomend this hostel to other travelers! +++++

Aventura Hotel, Merida, Mexico
29th Oct 2009

After reading some of the reviews here I felt a bit scared what to expect. But I found a nice clean hostel 10mins walk from Merida\'s main square. The only negative thing is a bit lack of character and too hot in rooms at night even though there is a fan.

Hotel Chablis Palenque, Palenque, Mexico
21st Oct 2009

This is really a very good hotel. Excellent location, just 5 minutes walk from the centre of the town and even closer to a place from where the pick-ups for the ruins depart. It is in a very quiet neighbourhood so it\'s easy to relax and get some sleep. Staff is extremely kind and helpful. Rooms are clean and spacious with air-con, tv and nice bathroom. There are several restaurants in the area if you don\'t want to go to the centre. And you can use the swimming pool of the nearby hotel. Excellent

Haus Schoepf, Arlberg, Austria
14th Jan 2009

I really cannot say anything bad about this accommodation. Everything was just perfect. The house is very lovely Tyrolean style, cozy and clean room, good buffet breakfast, very very kind owners. It is 10-15 mins away from the skiing slopes of St Anton but there is a free skibus all day long and, if you\'re arriving by train, there is also a bus directly from St Anton train station to Haus Schoepf in Schnann (this one costs �2,80 o/w). Will definitely go there again next time I ski in St Anton!

Lidwala Backpacker Lodge, Lobamba, Swaziland
15th Nov 2008

This seems more a volunteer accommodation than a hostel as there are lots of volunteers. I felt a bit of intruder as everybody knew eachother. But the location is good, just halfway between Mbabane and Lobamba, with a minibus stopping just near the house. This is also a Bazbus stop.

Amphitheatre Backpackers, Drakensberg, South Africa
1st Nov 2008

Nice location with the view over the Drakensberg Mountain. Cheap drinks and food but internet is a bit expensive. Overall satisfied.

Camdeboo Cottages, Graaff-Reinet, South Africa
27th Oct 2008

Nice and secure cottage with its own kitchen. Nice and clean pool is just in front for relaxing. Secure parking space. Excellent location in the centre of Graaff-Reinet.

HI - Boston Downtown, Boston, USA
9th Jan 2008

Very nice hotel with excellent location and staff was very helpfull (giving lots of information). The only negative thing about this hostel are the lockers. They should organize some kind of free storage for bags like every other hostel does. This way, I checked out in the morning and spent the day in the town until my evening flight out of Boston and I had to pay $3 for a locker for my bag. This facility is normally complementary in other hostels. Think about it!

Agora BCN, Barcelona, Spain
8th May 2007

What a great hostel!!! One of the best I've ever stayed in. Excellent value for money, very kind young staff, secure, clean, cozy, modern... Only remark goes to its location. It's a bit far away from the centre but Line 3 Mundet metro station is just few minutes walk from the hostel. When I come back to Barcelona, I'll definitely use this hostel again.

Alibi K5 Hostel, Ljubljana, Slovenia
22nd Apr 2007

Alibi K5 was under renovation so we were moved to Alibi Central Hostel just few meters away from K5. Anyway, excellent location in the centre of Ljubljana, kind staff, clean...

Good Morning Viet Nam Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam
12th Jan 2007

This hostel also goes under the name Darling Guesthouse. It is centrally located in the old town of Hanoi, walking distance from the market, lots of shops and Hoan Kiem lake. Room was clean and bed comfortable, staff very kind and helpful (they sell excellent tours to Tam Coc and Halong Bay - good value for money). Front rooms that look on the street are a bit noisy but never mind. I loved this place.

Lotus Courtyard Hotel, Beijing, China
16th Nov 2006

It was a great experience staying in a traditional hutong house but the hostel is too far away from the center of Beijing. Also in winter time it gets too cold in this hostel as there is low heating, especially in a common room and shower area. Imagine taking a shower at 5�C! The owners should fix this problem. Good thing is the staff - very kind and helpfull and English speaking, and free internet in a common room. I would have no problem staying here in summer but I would never return here in winter.

12th Nov 2006

Clean, secure, good location close to subway, very kind and helpful staff, free internet, very cozy common room... Big beds in dorms, almost king size. What else does a traveller need? Definitely one of the best hostels I ever stayed in. Would use it again 100%. A++++++++++++

Hotel Mikado, Osaka, Japan
8th Nov 2006

This is a business hotel in a not so nice business hotel district of Osaka. Some odd people moving around after dark. But the JR line and metro is few steps away from the hotel. The hotel is clean, and the staff very friendly. There is free internet access but only one shower in whole hotel (and it has 8 floors)! A bit without carachter but ok for a night or two.

Chita Guest Inn, Kyoto, Japan
5th Nov 2006

This is centrally located ryokan in Kyoto. We had a room overlooking Higashi Honganji temple and Kyoto Station was only 10 mins walk from Chita Guest Inn. It is a bit more expensive than usual but you pay for central location. This ryokan is very basic, with very little decoration, and sometimes it feels a bit depressing. But it is clean and the lady that owns Chita is very very kind.

Guest House Bola-Bola, Kyoto, Japan
3rd Nov 2006

I really enjoyed staying in this ryokan and it felt like home. If you want to feel real Japan, this is the place to stay. The atmosphere was very warm, the owners very very kind (we even got a lift to the local train station in their car after they noticed how heavy our bags were). This accommodation has everything: free internet (desktop computer and wireless), free tourist information brochures, free use of washing machine to wash our clothes, free use of kitchen... The rooms are very nice and clean, decorated with nice traditional Japanese paintings. Really liked this place. The only bad thing is that it is a bit away from the center but just outside the house there was a tram and a train that takes you to the center in just 20 minutes. Don't hesitate to come to this loving accommodation in Kyoto.

Khaosan Tokyo Smile, Tokyo, Japan
31st Oct 2006

This is a great hostel, recently renovated, clean and with almost central location, not far from metro. The temple area of Asakusa is just 5 minutes walk from the hostel. The staff is very kind and friendly, One of the best hostels I ever stayed in. The room was quite small though but the bed was comfortable and there was free internet computer and even wi-fi in your room if you take your laptop with you. Thumbs up+++

Paddy's Palace Killarney, Killarney, Ireland
7.3
7th Oct 2006

OK and cheap hostel, centrally located. Should work a bit more on security but otherwise fine.

Residencial Joao XXI, Lisbon, Portugal
2nd Jul 2006

Nice and clean small hotel with kind staff. Room was air conditioned with comfortable bed, TV and nice bathroom. The only remark is that the breakfast should start earlier than 08:00 AM and the breakfast room should be made bigger. Otherwise A+.