Reviews: schnerbazoink

Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 36

Samesun Venice Beach

Los Angeles, USA

All seemed good here; it's a perfect place if you're looking to spend time on the beach. The area seems OK and safe enough, though worth keeping your eyes open when wandering around at night. The hostel seems a bit of a party place, and sound comes through from the adjoining music venue on occasion - though not for very long, thankfully. The hostel was a bit hot inside and had a slight odd smell, but it wasn't that big a worry. Overall I was pretty happy with my stay.

• 16th Oct 2013

Struy Guest House

Inverness, Scotland

This place was pretty decent. Staff were helpful, though there were a few minor communication problems. It was very clean other than in the rarely-used areas. Security was OK, except we had a ground floor room with windows opening onto the street, and needed to keep them open because it was hot. The location is a bit out of the centre; walkable, but we took a taxi when we had our bags with us. One notable issue was only having one bathroom (and one sink) between lots of people.

• 21st Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

Agreed that is a problem when we are busy but we offer guest the opportunity to use our private bathroom if the need arises

Highlander B&B

Inverness, Scotland

This place was really good - clean and comfortable, and with all the right features, except possibly a way to keep the ground floor room's window open in the heat without feeling a bit insecure. The manager was very helpful and nice, and gave a lot of good ideas for things to do - but seemed a bit upset that we went to a different place afterwards, even though we'd actually booked that other one first, and it turned out to be not as good as Highlander B&B anyway.

• 20th Jul 2013

Rainforest Bed and Breakfast

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Very nice in most respects, and I enjoyed my stay; pretty much everything was good to very good. My one problem was that the air conditioning is only in the rooms, and the wireless signal isn't great in the rooms, so I spent some time in some very hot common areas to do some web chatting. Still, it's quite well located, and nice and cheap - and it's very handy to be able to buy bottles of water from the front desk.

• 2nd Jun 2012
  • Globetrotter

This is a great place to pick if you want a party hostel. Unfortunately the events they organised didn't fit in with our timings, which was a shame, as the walking and tapas tours sounded great. The staff are excellent, the location is very handy, and everything was very clean. Being a party hostel means things got a bit loud at times - particularly after opening the window when the room got a bit hot - but that's part of the hostel experience.

• 17th Sep 2011

Santa Ana Hostal

Cordoba, Spain

This is a very nice hostel: super-clean, very well located, and remarkably quiet considering how close to everything it is. Not all of the front desk staff speak English (which isn't unusual for Spain), but they were all quite helpful with anything that came up despite our communication problems. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 15th Aug 2011

Hans Brinker Budget Hotel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

This place is a good standard option for a trip to Amsterdam; nothing special, but all fine. It's not right in the centre, but within walking distance from everything, and lively enough itself with its own pub. It's also not constantly packed out with people smoking in every room, which helps a lot.

Steffi´s Hostel Heidelberg

Heidelberg, Germany

This place is good value, and one of the better hostels I've been in - friendly staff, handy location, and well set up. A couple of shower drains were blocked while I was there but that's a pretty minor thing.

Budget Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

I was pretty happy with this place. It's deceptively big, and was very busy on the Saturday/Sunday I was there, but mostly well organised and clean, and in a fairly handy location. It's certainly on the DIY-side with linen and such but that's not unusual.

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

I thought this place was good value. A couple of minor things needed fixing in the room, but it was no big deal. The location is very good, and the staff were generally quite cheerful.

Railway Square YHA

Sydney, Australia

Charging for storing bags on the departure day is bad form. I've never seen any other hostel do that. Otherwise I was very happy with this place - it's very clean, and quite well located. My room was fairly normal, rather than train-styled.

Paddy's Palace Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

I found this place completely fine. To me it didn't match the others I've stayed at in Dublin, but I had no major problems, and it was certainly very convenient for the Paddywagon tour I took.

Swiss 1291 Hostel

New York, USA

This is a good choice for a stay in NY. We didn't see much of the staff as we were put in an apartment down the road, which was fine but we didn't really feel part of the rest of the hostel. Probably helped us to talk more to people in our room though. Name labels for beds is a great idea - it eases introductions - and more places should do the same. Location is good; not quite in the noisy centre (e. g. Times Square) but it's pretty easily reached even by foot. Overall: worth a visit.

This hostel is OK but not great, so all the recent good reviews are a bit confusing. The location is ideal, and free Internet access is nice, but the place is very cramped, has no atmosphere (common area was always pretty quiet), and only one shower for 20-odd people. Definitely could be better.

Probably your best choice in Paris. A few issues though: cold showers; staff OK but a bit new and impersonal (because the hostel's so big); needs a much bigger "left luggage" room; common room essentially becomes part of the bar after 8pm, so it helps if you're in a party mood. All manageable though. Certainly very clean and conveniently located.

Residenza Santa Croce

Venice, Italy

I was quite happy with this place: location was very good (easy to find, though the door isn't quite red :) ), as were the staff and the general hostel condition. Having one bathroom in my 6 bed room and one other common one was helpful. The only minor issue was the lack of a common room.

B&B Anna

Bologna, Italy

This is a really nice place to stay in Bologna. Eugenio is an excellent host, and the place is well located for a walk around the centre of town. It was quiet of course, because it's not a hostel, but that can be a good thing at times.

Academy Hostel

Florence, Italy

Very good hostel. Staff were great, everything was new and very clean, and there was plenty of room in the four bed room I stayed in. Ivan's restaurant suggestions were very good too. One bathroom between eight people was the only downer, but it's not that big a worry really.

Red Nest Hostel Valencia

Valencia, Spain

I can't say a thing against this place - it's a big hostel done really well. Staff were excellent. My only disappointment was just staying one night so I didn't visit the bar and terrace. I stayed in the Purple Nest, as many people booking will do.

Giovanni's Home

Naples, Italy

Staying at Giovanni’s flat is an interesting and worthwhile experience. He's a great host, and very generous, often cooking meals for the whole hostel, which is a nice way to get everyone together too. He also helps with lots of information on the city as you need it - there's more to see in Naples than you think! Some things were slightly broken down, but no major problems - and honestly, even if they weren't fixed I'd still recommend staying here.

Legends

Rome, Italy

Excellent location and quite easy to find. The free pasta is nice and gets people in a sociable mood. Staff were polite and efficient although a bit quiet.

Hostel DownTown

Prague, Czech Republic

It's in pretty much the ideal location for exploring Prague - I barely needed public transport. It's on a main road though, so consider the noise if that bothers you.

Budapest Bubble

Budapest, Hungary

Stay here - you won't regret it. Olga is probably the nicest hostel manager you'll ever meet and always has time for everyone. This rubs off on people who stay there, giving the place a really friendly atmosphere. It's my new favourite hostel, of many.

NosDa @ The Riverbank

Cardiff, Wales

Excellent in most ways, and very conveniently located. It's apparently under long-term refurbishment at the moment, and so though the dorm & bathroom weren't as clean as they might have been, they were still fine and will probably improve. The bar and common room are very nice, and though the TV in the common room seemed broken, the one in the bar seemed fine.

Capsule Inn Akihabara

Tokyo, Japan

I'd describe my night in this place as something like sleeping in the bottom of a bunk bed with the sides walled off, except with a TV. I'd recommend giving this place a go for a night just for the experience. Can't say it was the best sleep I've ever had, but it was certainly unique, and it's handy if you want to visit Akihabara's electronics district.

Easily the cleanest hostel I've stayed in, very friendly, great staff, and in a convenient area that isn't too noisy. Highly recommended.

Paraiso Travellers Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Pretty cool place, easy enough to meet people. It's next to the Old Town (as many Barcelona hostels are I think) so travellers need to keep an eye on their stuff when outside the hostel. It's a very convenient spot for sightseeing, though.

Flying Pig Downtown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I was a bit disappointed that I booked a 6 bed dorm and a mistake somewhere meant I ended up in a 14 bed dorm, but otherwise all was good.