HI - Chicago Hostel

Nashville, USA

• 4th Sep 2013
  • Norway

Zenith Hostel

Two days before our arrival they sent us an email saying they they had to close down for refurbishing or whatever, but intended to open again by the time we'd get there. If not, we'd me moved to their sister hostel. Didn't hear anything the next day so had to call them. A bartender answered and said that they were in fact gonna be closed. The other hostel wasn't an option as we'd booked this one for its location. They should've got us somewhere nearby for the same price. BAD SERVICE AND INFO!!!!

Columbus Circle Hostel

New York, USA

This is the most laidback hostel I've ever been to:) Nice rooms too and the staff was very helpful. Kudos!

Torquay Hostel

Bathroom (and I could only find one on my floor, there might have been more somewhere else) was stinking and full of mould, water all over the floor because of no shower curtain. When I tried to close the door to my room I had to pull extra hard and then the door knob almost fell off. Won't go back.

Kudos to Happy, who was a real joy to be greeted by:)

Kaupmehe 8 Hostel

Tallinn, Estonia

Luckily we had read another guest's review about there not being a reception, cause the hostel doesn't inform you of that. Since the review said we would get a lot of hassle and get told off if we were late, we were quite relieved that our flight wasn't delayed and we actually arrived at the hostel 45 minutes before we had specified when booking. A bit boring to wait that long for someone to come and let us in, but we had company by a couple who was dropping in to see if they could move their booking a few days forward and stay that night instead. There is no bell to ring for the hostel, so we figured we'd just have to wait outside. There is, however, a phone number on the wall. We assumed that that was for people like the couple we met, people just dropping in. But when we had waited PAST our scheduled arrival time, we had to call after all. Highly annoying because it's expensive to use a mobile phone abroad. No pay phone there either. When we called, guess what? WE GOT TOLD OFF for not calling them sooner!! After some 15 minutes, a boy came to let us in. He was nicer to talk to than the lady on the phone, but he couldn't help the other couple who was waiting. He had no idea if there were any rooms available for that night and he didn't have a phone so he couldn't call the office to check (they couple didn't have cell phones). No phone inside the hostel either. They had to walk to the office 10 minutes away where the same boy checked them in. Complicated way of operating, not very professional and they give very little information prior to - and upon - arrival. The bathrooms are a bit mouldy. Also, the rooms are depressingly boring and you can hear everything that goes on next door, but I guess that's not a big deal when you stay at a hostel. Still, it has no exciting atmosphere so even though it's clean, not too far away from the Old Town and the city centre, next time I'll choose one of the hostels in the Old Town instead. We saw many on our way.