Homeros Pension

Selcuk, Turkey

Very atmospheric property at a quiet area of Selcuk. The owners Shaziye and Dervish are very friendly. Homely atmosphere. Breakfast is pretty good. If you walk from the town center you have to climb a hill. Don't miss some medieval ruins and stork nests at column tops on your way. 10 to 15 minutes drive to the ancient Ephesus from the Pension.

• 12th Apr 2014

Casa Eva Luna

Varkala, India

Very nice homestay with necessary (though basic) facilities. If you want a break from Indian food don't even think to go further. Their spaghetti and lasagnas are heavenly. Located little bit far from the beach, you have to walk for about 15 minutes. Overall, great value for the bargain price. Muchas gracias to Katrina and Esther!

• 22nd Jan 2014

Venice Castle

Alappuzha, India

Excellent property. The owners could not be better. They really care for you. Breakfast is huge. They found us a boat for reasonable price (opt for shikara boat if you want to stay overnight at the guesthouse, don't go to expensive and clumsy houseboats) and at departure they brought us an autoriksha for the 'official' price, loaded our bags, etc. There's a lovely dog at the courtyard. Location is also great close to the boat station. Many thanks to Matthew and his Family!

• 20th Jan 2014

Orchid Guest House

Goa, India

Great place to stay in Anjuna. When you stay at the higher floor you actually have the whole floor as a single apartment, with two balconies, hammock, etc. This provides good feeling of privacy. A little bit tricky to find when walking from the 'market' lane. Overall, recommended. Would be happy to stay again.

• 14th Jan 2014
  • Israel

Fantastic budget option (if you're male) right at the center of Shinjuku night district. The capsules are very convenient, there's great Roman-like bath and the staff is very helpful. Free luggage storage for guests. Good lounge at the 4th floor, toiletries for free.

Kawaguchi-ko Station Inn

Mount Fuji, Japan

Thanks to the staff for waiting for me at a late hour (after 23:00). Location is great, right next to the station. Rooms are big and beds are rather comfortable. The only drawback is that common room is located at the basement and washing facilities are upstairs, so you can't wash your cup of tea at the same floor. Yes, and I was lucky to have a great view of mount Fuji next morning (recommended to wake up at 5 AM and walk some 20 min to the lake Northern shore)

Kyoto Hana Hostel

Kyoto, Japan

5 min walk to the railway station. The staff is great, helpful and honest (I forgot to get back the money deposit for the key, they reminded and returned). Clean as always in Japan, however one of the sinks was broken and unclean for a couple of days.

• 31st Mar 2013

Koyasan Guest House Kokuu

Koyasan, Japan

Probably the best Hostel I've stayed in during my two-and-a-half week trip to Japan. Has very special character due to white corridor with capsules from both sides. They are even more than capsules, they are like little private rooms. The owner is very nice and helpful. Perfect location if you want to take a night stroll at the cemetery (recommended). Just buy some food in advance as everything was closed in the evening except for one eatery at the town center (requires some 20-30 min walk)

• 29th Mar 2013

Osaka Hana Hostel

Osaka, Japan

Spent there two nights, The lady at the night watch was very nice and helpful (did not have a chance to meet other staff members). Location is perfect, close to all the action in Osaka. Very clean. Comfortable beds. I stayed in Kyoto later, then came back to Osaka for an evening or two and was even sorry that did not take more nights in this Hostel.

• 28th Mar 2013
  • Israel

Thank you so much for your great comment!! Some time, we becomes full especially on weekends.... Please let us know in advance if you are visiting Osaka again !!!! Thank you !!

Hiroshima Hana Hostel

Hiroshima, Japan

Spent there just one night. Close to the railway station. The stuff is helpful. Very clean as everywhere in Japan. Comfortable beds.

• 27th Mar 2013
  • Israel

Thank you very much for staying with us at Hiroshima Hana Hostel! Also your comment! Really good to know you enjoyed staying here! Hope to see you again! Best regards, Hiroshima Hana Hostel

Kamakura Guesthouse

Kamakura, Japan

It's more convenient to reach this Hostel from Ofuna, then take monorail (anyway, Ofuna is more central station than Kamakura). The staff is very helpful. Note that you'll have to sleep on the floor in a common 'bedroom' with other guests. As well, staying in a single common room with others will either give you opportunity to make new friends or will make you feel lack of privacy, depends on what you seek more...

• 26th Mar 2013

J-Hoppers Hida Takayama Guesthouse

Hida Takayama, Japan

Stayed there just one night, the hostel is just 5 min walk from the railway station, very clean as always in Japan, the beds are comfortable and staff is helpful. Their half-day tour to Shirakawa-go is also recommended, you'll have enough time to stroll around the village and visit some houses.

• 24th Mar 2013

1166 Backpackers

Nagano, Japan

Pros: good location close to Zenko Ji temple and the main street. The girl at the reception was nice and helpful. Cons: toilet and bedroom are at different floors, the layout of beds is inconvenient, there was cold at night.

• 23rd Mar 2013

Hostel Oasis

Moscow, Russia

My 2nd time in Oasis, this time in off-season, little number of guests provided the feeling of privacy. Perfect location next door to a subway station, walking distance to the Red Square. I liked the joke at the bathroom door, 'please close the door when bathing, otherwise our camera watches you naked'. Note that if you arrive close to midnight the street passage may be locked, notify the stuff in advance and have their phone number. Recommended for a budget stay in Moscow.

• 15th Feb 2013

365 Inn

Beijing, China

I chose this hostel due to its relative proximity to Hongqiao airport as I had late arrival. Their driver did not meet me at the airport. Either he did not arrive at all, or he was tired of waiting for me as my flight was late for almost an hour. Anyway, he was gone and I had to take a taxi at 1 AM. Taxi driver had to phone four times to the hostel as he could not find the location. Water is jammed in toilets. Someone's vomited into the sink and it was full of that sh*t (sorry). Disgusting.

• 30th Sep 2012
  • Israel

Centrally located, close to night food market and many shops/restaurants. Bad smell in the room, the sink and bathtub are jammed. Not a bad value for a one night stay but not longer.

• 23rd Sep 2012
  • Israel

I got a room which was not cleaned (or very poorly cleaned) after previous guests have left. Not all staff members are equally helpful. Coins for using internet or washing machine are sometimes missing. Drying machine does not dry well. Walking distance to subway station.

• 20th Sep 2012
  • Israel

Avoid this place if you have to wake up early. Tea, coffee, your own food will be inaccessible to you as the owner locks the kitchen claiming that guests may steal alcohol at night but in the same time provides no lockers for the guests. No requests could help. I was surprised to get so reluctant, almost impolite behavior from the person who got such a good feedback in guest reviews. My early check-in was also accepted negatively despite I had agreed with the owner that I was to arrive at 8 AM.

• 24th Apr 2012
  • Israel

Hi Alexander, thank you for your comment. With regret, here is mine. You first asked to arrive at 8 am. I received you on time and, at your request, I served you a hearty breakfast, which I offered to you. Then, without asking me, you decided to change bed in the "triple boys" room that you booked and which I had assigned to you. Awake every morning at 6 am, you always woke up the two other Guests sharing your room: They actually quite complained about that. The first morning, I found you at 6:15 am sitting in my kitchen: you were extensively helping yourself from my private refrigerator, where there was no food belonging to you. And you did not deposit anything in it afterwards either! You can easily understand that, under these conditions and in front of this total lack of good manners, I had to take some precautions in order to preserve the comfort, tranquility and safety of all Guests living in my house. Sincerely, Philip

Piligrim Hostel

Vladimir, Russia

Shiny new budget place to stay in Vladimir at the local Evangelical church. Far from the downtown but gives you a chance to experience a typical Soviet sleeping district. The girls at the reception are great, we had a pleasant evening conversation. Very warm and personal approach. Not many people yet know this place, so facilities are brand new, beds are comfortable, and the level of privacy is pretty high. Definitely recommended for your trip to Vladimir and Suzdal.

Hostel Oasis

Moscow, Russia

Location is superb. Staff is helpful, however when I had to cancel one of my nights one girl at the reception refused to do it, another one agreed to cancel with some price adjustment. Wifi is slow, soap is sometimes missing, not all the lockers are of the same width. They agreed to provide me a wider locker when my bag did not fit. Staff is doing their best to help visitors, and most of the problems are visitors themselves. Definitely recommended if you want to save money staying in the center.

Hostel Kankun

Cancun, Mexico

Very basic. Nothing but beds in the room. The hostel is not so close to the bus station, you have to walk at least 10 to 15 minutes even if you know the location (it's at the end of a back street). As an advantage, it seems a pretty secure place. To save your pennies and 'sleep and go' stay there. If you look for comfort go somewhere else.

• 19th Oct 2011

La Casa del Tio Rafa

Merida, Mexico

The real treasure of this Hostel is its owner. Not every day you meet such a personal approach. Despite I arrived at 7 AM they accepted me, provided me a room (even upgraded from a shared bathroom to private one), and prepared me a breakfast. The room was nice and with traditional Mexican touch. The water flow in the shower was weak, and this was the only problem I had. Walking distance to the bus station (5 to 10 minutes). Definitely recommended.

• 17th Oct 2011

B&B Le Gite Del Sol

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

The owners are very friendly and helpful. My room was pretty big. Breakfast was nice but was not quite enough for me. Much closer to Cerro de Guadalupe (church and observation point) than to the town center where you have to walk about 15 minutes.

• 13th Oct 2011

La Casa del Tio

Guanajuato, Mexico

The advantage of this place is its convenient location. I stayed just one night, did not communicate with the staff more that a couple of phrases. My room was at the back door of a cafeteria, there was feedback that it's noisy in the rooms but at 10-11 PM things get quiet. However it was pretty cold in my room at night, they have breaches in windows that's impossible to close. Good value to save money and stay one night. But not for a long and serious stay.

• 10th Oct 2011

Bed and Breakfast Mexico Hostel

Mexico City, Mexico

Located in a safe area, 5 min walk from the Insurgentes metro station. Staff is cooperative, helpful, and they speak English. Rooms are small but cozy. The only problem was their absolutely crazy shower that switches between freezing and boiling and I could never regulate properly between these two extremities. You have up to 30 sec. before you have to jump off and wait again until water temperature becomes normal.

Anemomilos Villa

Santorini, Greece

It was irresponsible not to meet me at the airport after they promised to. Neither hostelworld nor hotel website provides their address. A small hint on their website states that it should be in the north of town (it's not in Thira but in Firostefani). I had to seek and ask around, and it's hard to find. When I finally reached destination the answer was 'why did not you call us? others usually call' Well, I suppose the others are disappointed when they call. The room is clean but toilet smells.

• 28th Sep 2011
  • Israel

I came there on a cold and rainy night with my car and the only wish was hot shower. They had only cold water (I wish the guy at the reception take such shower himself twice a day) and the only hot water I found was in a washing basin,however there are two separate taps, so you can't get desired temperature. Besides there was some dubious guy strolling around at the entrance. Will never stay again there.

Thapae Gate Lodge

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I stayed there in November 2009. Very good location, on a quiet lane next to the big street. 2 min. walking to the Sunday market, 20 min. walking to the Night market. There\'s noise at night from a nearby disco but overall definitely a good choice. Would stay again.

A perfect place to spend a few nights for a budget traveller. Next door to the old Jewish quarter but a little walk (15-20 min.) to the city center. Great breakfast and BBQ. A lot of communist stuff. I was born in former USSR, so it was a fun 4 me. Staff is helpful but a little bit cold (well, they aren't required to kiss U)

Backpackers Bamberg

Bamberg, Germany

A great and nonexpensive place to stay. Very special character, friendly owner, clean and cosy place. Excellent showers. I would definitely stay there again if I come to Bamberg. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the center but the area is pretty nice. And don't miss the RauchBeer in Schlenkerla!

Hotel Flora

Munich, Germany

Not a 5 star hotel but actually it was the most perfect budget option for my 2008 year trip to Octoberfest. Walking distance to Theresienweise (well, it\'s quite far but you have time to get some fresh air after you got drunk)

404 Hostel

Cologne, Germany

Ideally clean, quiet and 1 minute walk to subway (though it's not the city center, it's 10 to 15 minutes by metro to the Cathedral and the Central Station). My dorm room was actually two rooms, one is two separate beds and another is two "double-decks". I selected the 1st one, and it gave the feeling of privacy. The owner is friendly and informative, and gives you advices what to see in the city. Overall, very good impression, I would stay again if I come to Cologne.

Thank you for your comment. I just want to add that the 6 bed dorm room is one room which might give the impression of two rooms. But there is no door or anything.

Casa da Valeska

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

An excellent choice. The cleanest hotel I've ever stayed. 2 minutes walk from the metro station if you need an access to Rio Center and Maracana (btw, their metro is absolutely safe and very convenient). 4 minutes walk from the Copacabana beach. The owner, Christina, is very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend you to stay there.

Hotel O'Rei

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The main reason to stay in this hotel is its brilliant location, in the center of everything, 1 minute walk from the shopping and entertainment Florida street, and 5 minutes walk to the obelisk (2 of them is crossing the main street). The price is also low for such a location. The bathroom is rather crappy as well as the room furniture. However, this place has a certain charm of old good Buenos Aires. If you seek for good location, this is a place to stay, if you seek for comfort go somewhere else.

Thank you Alex for your comments. We will improve our furnitures and the cleanliness. Probably your room was with a shared bathroom, and sometimes another guest leaves the bathroom dirty. That thing doesn´t happens in the private bathroom room. We will make an effort on this.

America del Sur Hostel

El Calafate, Argentina

An excellent choice to stay in El Calafate. Friendly and heplful staff, warm floor, delicious food, dozens of funny dogs around create great atmosphere. Just be prepared to walk a little along the unpaved street up the little hill. Get it as your first training to Chalten and Torres del Paine trek :) Overall, I would definitelyrecommend you to stay there.

Niko's II Adventure

Puerto Natales, Chile

A brilliant choice right in the center of the town. Friendly owners, warm and homely atmosphere, a funny little dog in a jacket, and excellent home-made juice for the breakfast. I would definitely recommend you to stay there.

Free Style

Ushuaia, Argentina

Nice and funny place to stay. The staff is great and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and a lot of friendly young people. You'll have to climb a little from the port to reach this hostel but it's still a good location, close to the main shopping/eating San Martin street.

Only best words. Friendly staff, cool guests, perfectly clean, and good location 2 minutes walk from the metro. Just note that breakfast is not included, it costs 3.5 euro but it's worth of it. I stayed in many hostels that suggest only bread and jam (for free). In Wombat's you get really good breakfast. Anyway, there's a supermarket next door if you want to do it yourself. The bar has happy hour until 8 PM when your beer costs only 1 euro.

MuchoMadrid

Madrid, Spain

Nice place, I recommend it to everyone who stays in Madrid on a low budget! Great location, perfectly clean, 100% secure...