Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 34

JugendStube

Brasov, Romania

I was fairly disappointed with this hostel. I found the staff less friendly than most other hostels I've stayed at and I was bitten by fleas so wouldn't stay there again.

• 22nd May 2014

Zeppelin Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Pleasant little hostel. Good breakfast included in the price and location was convenient. Push button showers were mildly annoying but facilities otherwise fine. Hostel isn't staffed at night but that didn't cause me any problems.

• 12th May 2014

Queen Elizabeth Chelsea

Stayed for one night and it was ok. It's well located if you are going to the football at Chelsea (which I was) but not particularly well located for central London. There were triple bunks in my room which I didn't like. Given the wide choice of good hostels in London I doubt I would stay again.

• 8th Feb 2014

NosDa Studio Hostel

Cardiff, Wales

Decent hostel. Has parking which was handy as I was travelling by car. Also do quite good food in the bar area. Breakfast was ok and included in the price. Overall, I wasn't blown away by the place but would stay there again.

• 4th Oct 2013

Kipps Brighton

Brighton, England

Very good hostel which I would happily stay at again. Liked the nightly activities, especially the pizza making! I was a bit surprised at being charged nearly five pounds more by booking through hostelworld compared to the walk in price which I've never had at any other hostel. Good breakfast as well for 2 pounds extra.

• 1st Jul 2013

Travellers House

Lisbon, Portugal

Outstanding hostel. Delightful staff, very friendly atomosphere and fun activities organised every night (especially the chorizo feast cooked on the ceramic pig!).

• 18th Oct 2012

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

Decent hostel with a pub on the ground floor. Location not the best though. We also paid £37 per night for a dorm which was expensive although it was during the Olympics so I would imagine prices are a lot lower normally. Still, fairly poor value at that price. Overall, I would say it is ok but there are much better options in London.

• 27th Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

We had a twin room which was cheap, but not exceptionally so. The breakfast was pretty good as well. On the other hand the place lacked character and atmosphere and the service wasn't great (for example I had to wait 20 minutes or so to get my bag out of the left luggage). We also got sent to a building half a mile or so away from the main building we had booked into.

• 2nd Jun 2012

YHA Ambleside

Lake District, England

Like most YHA hostels, this was clean and well run with good facilities. Unfortunately, it lacked atmosphere and wasn't much fun, also like most YHA hostels! If you're staying with a group this is a good bet. If you want to meet people, I'd recommend Ambleside Backpackers.

• 22nd Apr 2011

LSE Passfield Hall

Good value for a single room in central London and the breakfast was good. A lot of noise coming from the pipes in my room in the morning. Also, a lot of stairs to get to the room! Not the best place for meeting other travellers.

• 4th Aug 2010

Beacons Backpackers

Brecon, Wales

Only briefly stayed here and had no complaints, but wouldn\'t rush back either. It\'s part of a pub which is always handy.

Blue Sky Surf Lodge

Newquay, England

This hostel was decent, but I didn\'t find it very friendly compared to other hostels I\'ve stayed at. Probably good if you\'re in a group, particularly if under 25s.

Hatters Hostel- Liverpool

Liverpool, England

Quality hostel, very well located. There\'s also free overnight parking right outside. I would definitely stay again.

Ambleside Backpackers

Lake District, England

One of my favourite hostels. Tony, who was looking after the place when I stayed, was extremely hospitable and even cooked dinner for some of the guests (the food was first class). This hostel is particularly good if you\'re planning to hike in the Lake District. There is help with finding good walking routes, weather charts and one of the better drying rooms I\'ve come across (you\'ll most likely get rained on in the Lakes - bring good waterproofs!).

Quality hostel, like all of the Hatters hostels I\'ve stayed at. Located in the Jewellery Quarter which is one of the best locations for nightlife. Check out the Jamhouse or the Actress and Bishop (both a minute or two walking from the hostel).

Central Backpackers

Oxford, England

Decent hostel in a good spot near the train station and centre of town. The outdoor area is quite nice. Could do with a better social area. There\'s a cramped TV room and an area with a couple of basic tables. Facilities are fine with good showers. I\'d stay there again.

The Thistle House

Edinburgh, Scotland

Nice guesthouse, quiet, more suited to older people (I booked this for my Mum and she liked, wouldn\'t personally stay here if visiting Edinburgh).

High Street Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

I\'d recommend this hostel. Best place I\'ve stayed in Edinburgh so far (in the price range) and I\'ve been up there several times. Great pubs nearby on the Royal Mile. The location is ideal. Pool table is a nice touch and there was a good atmosphere.

LSE Passfield Hall

Good value for money if you want your own room in London, but not a very sociable place.

La Villa am Kaiserbrunnen

Dortmund, Germany

Nice guesthouse, good value for money. Only stayed for one night.

LSE Carr-Saunders Hall

Great value for money for a single room in London. However, if you\'re travelling on your own you\'re better off staying in a hostel. The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment.

Equity Point Marrakech

Marrakech, Morocco

Nice roof terrace. Had a massive ensuite bathroom in my dorm and the bunk beds were unusually large. The hostel sells beer which is helpful in the Medina as it\'s not the easiest place to get a drink! Good for meeting people too.

Living Cat's Hostel

Madrid, Spain

The hostel bar is top class. This hostel is great for meeting people. It\'s party orientated, but the hostel bar closes at around 12 most nights so not too noisy if you want some sleep. If on the other hand you want to go out, a group tends to head out from the hostel bar every night and there are bars/clubs within stumbling distance open till 6am and beyond. Fabulous!

Globetrotter Inn London

Good value for London, but the location isn\'t great (nice area, but far out from Central London). Decent bar with good meals. The breakfast was woeful.

Big Apple Hostel

New York, USA

Slightly grim hostel, particularly the dorms. However, the location is excellent. I also stayed at New York City Hostel and found that place more friendly.

HI - Boston Downtown

Boston, USA

Not great, but you haven't got a massive choice of hostels in Boston. Not much atmosphere in the place, although they do organise a lot of activities. Staff were very helpful. Cleanliness was also a bit sketchy; showers were often dirty and my mate got bitten by fleas.

New York City Hostel

New York, USA

The location of this hostel is ideal. You're bang in the centre of Manhattan with a roof terrace looking up at the Empire State Building - just the spot for a few beers in the evening! The building is a bit shabby and there are no locks on the bedroom doors, but to me those are pretty minor factors. Attracts a sociable crowd who enjoy a drink. Recommended.

UniXtra

Edinburgh, Scotland

These rooms are outstanding value - your own room for roughly the price of a dorm bed in a hostel! One drawback is that you're less likely to meet other travellers, but if you're not fussed about that then I'd definitely recommend.

Hatters at Hilton Chambers

Manchester, England

Great spot in the centre of Manchester, recommended.

Sant Jordi Alberg

Barcelona, Spain

Decent hostel, good for nightlife as the hostel organises a lot of evenings out. Room was quite cramped and too hot (air conditioning broken), but other facilities were fine.

Mama's hostel is a total winner. Stayed there twice now - highly recommended.

Hostel of the Sun

Naples, Italy

Super friendly staff. There is free pasta and wine for all guests on some nights. The place is generally very cosy.

Mami Camilla

Sorrento, Italy

The 4 course Italian meal in the evening is top class and very sociable. Best food I had in Italy.

Really nice hostel, everything brand new and the room was one of the best I\'ve had in a hostel. Decent free breakfast. Would definitely recommend.

YHA London St Pancras

Dull hostel; can stay in much better in London (such as Ace) or go to a Travelodge.

Hayarkon 48 Hostel

Tel Aviv, Israel

Great place to meet travellers, ideal for those travelling alone. Would definitely recommend for those staying in Tel Aviv. Also, due to Israel being very small it is easy to stay in Tel Aviv and travel around the country on day trips.

Jaffa Gate Hostel

Jerusalem, Israel

this hostel made my day, very friendly and hospitable, defintley we are back

Castle Rock Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

Had random people who weren't staying in the room coming in during the night, including a girl who sat on the bunk above me talking to herself for some time. On the plus side there are two nice lounges and the location is ideal.

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

Great location, didn't spend much time in the hostel, but seemed a good spot.

Belfast International Youth Hostel

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Just off one of the main streets for pubs and easy access from the bus station. Nice rooms. I\'d recommend if you\'re travelling with friends, but we didn\'t meet anyone there so maybe not the best for solo travellers.

Ace Hotel (Kensington)

Nice hostel, though a bit out of the centre of London.

Top class hostel - great atmosphere. If you want to party in Split this place is ideal.

Fantastic!

Fulir Hostel Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

Right next to the main square. Owner very helpful with directions, places to go, etc.

Aventura Boutique Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Nice hostel, really good staff. Facilities could be better though, not many bathrooms.

Hatters at Hilton Chambers

Manchester, England

Near nightlife and train station. Free coffee/tea and snacks, etc. Recommend - one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

A&O City Hackerbruecke

Try to get in Wombats - much better

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Good bar and food.

Jaeger's Munich

Munich, Germany

Pretty good hostel, but Wombats next door is better.

Frankfurt Hostel

Frankfurt, Germany

Very good breakfast and nice rooms. Staff were prettz slow on checkout, etc.

Ok hostel, better there are much better ones in Berlin. Try to get into Circus.

Fun hostel, but got bitten all over by fleas so wouldn't recommend!

Stayokay Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Really good breakfast and good bar.

Den Heksenketel Hostel

Antwerp, Belgium

The bar's quite focused on folk music, but has a quality selection of Belgian beers. The location is ideal, next to the awesome cathedral and lots of pubs and restaurants.

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Pretty good bar. Extra charges for sheets and breakfast. 6 euro bike hire - recommended!

Flying Pig Downtown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Definitely a dope smokers hostel, allowed to smoke in the bar, etc. Wouldn't recommend for people who don't want to smoke weed!

Belfast International Youth Hostel

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Average hostel, reasonable place to stay in Belfast, good location. Plenty of pubs nearby.

Clown and Bard

Prague, Czech Republic

The bar is a winner. Other than that a pretty basic hostel, could do better in Prague.

Very homely. There is a large kitchen area with free food and hot drinks which serves as a good meeting place. The location is ideal, just off the main square. Only criticism is the stairs, quite hard work with heavy bags.

Circus Hostel

Berlin, Germany

The best hostel I've stayed in. Really helpful staff and the rooms are hotel standard. Also, very good for meeting people. I was on my own and met lots of people for hearty drinking sessions.