Location: Austria, Gender: Male, Age: 31

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

The hostel has only a few rooms, a nice kitchend, living room (with a TV, DVDs and books) and outside area. Everything is very clean and Patrick, the owner, is very helpful. The hostel is very far outside of Joburg, so you need one of the (pretty expensive) tours if you don't have a car and want to see something. A supermarket and a few restaurants are within walking distance. It is ideal if you need to sleep and/or relax, want fast and easy airport transfer, and don't care about seeing Joburg.

• 20th Jan 2013

Tekweni Backpackers Hostel

Durban, South Africa

A party place as expected. A bit worn down (beds, showers), but clean and good value for money. The location is good to go out (Florida St.), not so if you want to visit the stadium, beach (promenade) or uShaka marine world.

• 18th Jan 2013

Coffee Shack

Coffee Bay, South Africa

Great location with an idyllic landscape around. Friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere. I stayed in a dorm hut on the other side of the "river" and loved it. Very good food at the restaurant (breakfast, dinner and as part of the day program). Lively bar and bonfires in the evening. I can recommend the day program they offer (beach day with surfing lessons and beach volleyball in my case). Overall very good value for money. WiFi would be great.

• 16th Jan 2013

Amakaya Backpacker Hostel

Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

Good location. I booked the 4 bed dorm (very small and at the back of the building, seems to be offered as family room now) but changed to the 12 bed dorm as recommended by the receptionist. Helpful staff (a guy from the hostel went to the taxi and minibus stand with me to get cheap transport to the Bloukrans bridge). Nice bar and terrace, a bonfire outside - what else do you need? (Other travellers, but I met them there.)

• 10th Jan 2013
  • Austria

Hello Tobias Thank you for taking the time to do a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that the staff were helpful. Please let us know how we can improve on the security and facilities that you have rate as a 4 in your review. The room at the back is now the staff room for our Manager and is no longer offered as guest accommodation. Hope that you enjoyed your stay in Plettenberg Bay and the rest of South Africa. Regards Dave Swart

Ashanti Lodge Gardens

Cape Town, South Africa

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel, one of the best while I was travelling in South Africa. The hostel was quite full and lively, ideal for solo travellers who want to met other people. My dorm was next to the pool and the kitchen where it was sometimes loud in the evening. I liked the breakfast, but not the pizza. The kitchen (except the fridge) and the showers/toilets are great and clean. The staff was helpful and friendly. The location is great (buses, supermarket) and I always felt secure.

Citi Hostels

Dublin, Ireland

The hostel was clean, in a good location and we felt secure - BUT: the beds of the "3 Bed Private" room I booked was in fact only one bunk bed with a big mattress (double) on the bottom and a small one (single) on the top.