Location Netherlands, Gender Female, Age 49

Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel, Kilkenny, Ireland
13th Aug 2016

Very nice hostel; I have stayed here before. I was in Kilkenny for a gig. Comfortable place to stay. Beds bigger than average; basic breakfast included. Bedroom was too warm at night but I always find that everywhere.

Hostel Pisa, Pisa, Italy
19th Jul 2016

Grand hostel. Nothing much wrong with it, but I stayed in some really excellent ones recently, hence the slightly lower score. The absence of a kitchen is a minus for me, and the luggage storage system is not very secure. Anyone could walk in and walk out with your backpack, pretending it is theirs. Other than that, no complaints. Nice common room, friendly staff and handy location. It is very rare to stay somewhere from where you can WALK to the airport!

13th Jul 2016

I booked this hostel after reading some Hostelworld reviews and was not disappointed. What a lovely place. It is in a beautiful building and eveything is spacious and quiet. I was in a huge dorm with just five, where it felt like I had a whole corner to myself. There is always someone at reception, so contrary to the info it is okay to arrive after 22:00. Connecting bus at Ostiense train station is tricky to find.

Killarney Sugan Hostel, Killarney, Ireland
7th Jul 2016

I have stayed here before. I love this place. It's a small hostel with character. Very nice kitchen/common room downstairs plus a pub next door. Staff are really friendly.

Birmingham Central Backpackers, Birmingham, England
21st Jun 2016

I had a lovely stay at Birmingham Central Backpackers. I was uncertain what to expect as some of the reviews on Hostelworld are quite critical, but this is a great hostel and I would definitely come back. The common room is very nice and I enjoyed watching football there with an international crowd. The dorm was really quiet at night and I slept really well. I didn't hear any trains, which disappointed me actually!

Snoozles Hostel Galway, Galway, Ireland
28th Apr 2016

First stay at Snoozles. Excellent hostel. Lots of nice touches. Free herbs, oil and vinegar in the communal kitchen. An Irish recipe book. Letterbox in the lobby. Battery recycling box. The only thing I didn't like was a strongly worded message advising punters not to use booking engines as they are unnecessarily draining your travel funds. Yet there are "Hostelworld recommends" signs all over the place and if it wasn't for Hostelworld I wouldn't even have known about the place.

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to leave a wonderful review, I am glad you enjoyed every facilities we provided, I am afraid you misunderstood the signs, we do realize that people will hear about us online and will definitely book online, The sign was simply saying if any our guest would like to extend their booking they should book with the reception. I wish you asked us about it before you left and we would have explained the sign to you better, but despite it I am glad you had a great time!

25th Apr 2016

Can't think of anything bad to say about this hostel. I have stayed before and for sur will be back. Very comfortable, good breakfast, nice lounge. Top marks (and I have not been asked to write this).

Patchwork Design Hostel, Warsaw, Poland
16th Apr 2016

I had a great stay at Patchwork Design Hostel. The name comes from the colour scheme that is used all throughout the hostel. Even the liquid soaps and the dishclothes in the kitchen match the colour scheme. I really liked the very handy storage boxes opposite the showers. My dorm was on the top floor and I slept really well. There is a well-equiped kitchen, good wifi, friendly staff. All good. Would definitely stay again.

Big City Hostel, Wroclaw, Poland
13th Apr 2016

I had a good stay. The hostel is in a large old building, but it is very nice inside. My dorm was bright and spacious and thankfully not overheated at all. The location was good for my purpose (concert at Firlej). The bathrooms could be cleaned more often though and the receptionists were not overly friendly. The wifi is excellent but as a result there is no atmosphere. Nobody talks. Still, grand overall and excellent value for money.

Banana Bungalow West Hollywood, Los Angeles, USA
11th Mar 2016

I am in L.A. for two weeks and am staying in different hostels, just to experience different neighbourhoods. This hostel has been my favourite by far. Very nice atmosphere. People actually talk to each other. Nice garden, big kitchen, nice lounge downstairs. And easy enough to get to by bus for non-drivers as well. Recommended.

USA Hostels Hollywood, Los Angeles, USA
8th Mar 2016

Great stay, very handy location, beside Hollywood Boulevard and close to the metro. I joined the hostel's free walk to the canyon, which was the highlight of my stay. Breakfast is very good and what a clever idea to have a socket for charging inside each locker. I never saw that before. Only downside (not the hostel's fault) were my roommates, who were very inconsiderate. Insane amount of luggage constantly occupying all floor space, lights on until 2 a.m. and bathroom never avalailable....

Hostel Strowis, Utrecht, Netherlands
10th Jan 2016

I had an excellent stay. The hostel is in a beautiful old building. The common room is really nice. I only stayed one night and was in town for a gig, so I didn't spend much time at the hostel. The lockers are a bit out of the way, but they are free (you pay a deposit which you get back). Only minus point: The pillows are too bulky. I used a duvet from an unoccupied bed instead.

Igloo Hybrid, Nottingham, England
15th Nov 2015

Very handy, central location. Comfortable beds - just too many in the dorm. It was okay now, but in high season you would be climbing over each other's bags I would imagine. Atmosphere not great. People looked surprised and bothered if you said "hello"… Would still come back though because it is good value for money.

14th Nov 2015

I have stayed at Albatross several times over the years. No complaints. Nice and spacious. The common room is well away from the dorms, so that's good noise wise. They don't have lockers but you can leave valuables at reception.

Euro Hostel Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
9th Nov 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at Eurohostel this time around. After an entirely sleepless night in one of their dorms a few years ago I opted for a private room this time, which was excellent value for money. A really comfortable bed and a quiet room too. Staff were really friendly and helpful, despite being super busy all the time. The kitchen is huge but bare. Apparently everything gets stolen, a sad sign of the times. The fast wi-fi is worth paying for.

Vagabonds, Belfast, Northern Ireland
8th Nov 2015

Vagabonds is my favourite hostel in all of Ireland. It is a lovely atmospheric building, has a nice kitchen and common room, breakfast included, good location and the staff are really friendly. This was my fourth of fifth stay. The only thing I would change is the heat in the dorms at night. Thankfully my roommates were okay with having the window open.

The Crown Hotel & Bar, Glastonbury, England
21st Jun 2015

I have stayed here several times. A great old-fashioned hostel with a very nice, large kitchen/common room. Good value for money. Would definitely stay again.

Hatters at Hilton Chambers, Manchester, England
25th Sep 2014

Grand hostel. Nothing fancy, but nothing wrong with it either. Comfortable beds. My dorm was quiet so I slept well. Surprisingly decent breakfast, including muesli and yoghurt plus an orange.

Hotel Jorgensen, Copenhagen, Denmark
27th Aug 2014

I have stayed in Jørgensens many times over the years. I like the location and the rambling building. Pity that there is no kitchen. They used to have a fantastic breakfast buffet included but that is gone. Different times. Still, no complaints. Would stay again.

YHA Cambridge, Cambridge, England
28th Jul 2014

I stay at this hostel every year and always have a nice time. Facilities are not much changed compared to before the makeover (although every bed has its own socket now, which is handy). Showers still small and sweaty. But I have now complaints. Nice big common room and they have Guinness. The self catering kitchen is nice too, though smaller than before.

The Crown Hotel & Bar, Glastonbury, England
22nd Jun 2014

Busy hostel above a pub right in the centre of Glastonbury. Yet the dorms are on the top floor and guests were considerate. I slept really well. Nice big lounge and kitchen area too. Would stay again for sure.

Top of the Hill Hostel, Baltimore, Ireland
9th May 2014

Nothing bad to say about this hostel. Nice, large and well equiped kitchen. Warden very friendly. Location good, lockers in rooms. Would definitely stay again.

6th May 2014

At 11 Euro per bed you cannot beat the price of this hostel. The walk from town isn't bad at all and it is nice to have a look around the university grounds. Staff are friendly and busses to Skibbereen, Tralee etc. stop right opposite the hostel. I was surprised how busy it was for early May. No lockers and the kitchen is small, though people were considerate and washing up quickly.

Hostel Miles, Prague, Czech Republic
8th Mar 2014

Great location, nice and bright spacious dorms. Friendly and helpful staff. Fast wi-fi in addition to two computers available to guests. The kitchen is a bit small and this is a party hostel. You can buy beer at reception at any time. This is great if you are the one having the party; not so great if you want a quiet time.

Locomotive Light Hostel, Budapest, Hungary
5th Mar 2014

This is a fantastic hostel. It is in one of those atmospheric enormous townhouses with a courtyard. I was in a split level dorm. Plenty of personal space. Staff very friendly and helpful. Very handy location for the train station. Walking distance to town. Big plus is that you are away from the noisy party district. I would definitely stay here again.

YHA London Central, London, England
20th Feb 2014

Excellent hostel in a nice location. Some YHA hostels no longer have kitchens but this one has, so that is a big plus. Wi-fi is free and there is a nice big lounge downstairs. Receptionist Tiina was very efficient. Top marks.

Globe Backpackers Exeter, Exeter, England
19th Feb 2014

I really like this hostel. It was my second time here. Nice and homely big dorm. The common room has a radio and people actually talk to each other. This doesn't happen much anymore in hostels these days! I arrived outside check-in hours but the owner let me in anyway, which I appreciated very much (heavy bags!).

15th Feb 2014

My first time in this hostel. I really like the pod beds with curtains; almost like a mini room. The building is pretty and there is a very nice, big lounge. Downside is that there is not much of a kitchen. Kitchen staff barked at me when I tried to wash my dishes. I should have known that leaving them dirty was the done thing…. Checking in took a long time as well. I would stay at this hostel again though. Good location and fascilities.

8th Feb 2014

I have stayed at this hostel before. Nice atmospheric building. I was there on a Saturday night and was worried since Newcastle is such a party town, however the lounge area of the hostel is in the basement and the dorms are upstairs, so this was no problem. Big kitchen, free wi-fi, all good.

Le Clic, Montreal, Canada
8th Nov 2013

I am glad I opted to come here for my second stay in Montreal, rather than in one of the big "swipecard hostels". Le Clic feels more like a shared house. Nice atmosphere, big kitchen and common area, very nice neighbourhood. And the breakfast is good. The only time I had nice crunchy bread in a hostel in Canada.

Auberge de la Paix Québec, Quebec, Canada
24th Oct 2013

I had a very pleasant stay at Auberge de la Paix and am going to stay there again. The building is nice and it makes a change from the faceless swipecard hostels. And the dimmer switch in the dormitory is a fabulous invention. All hostels should have this. Breakfast good too.

M Montreal, Montreal, Canada
21st Oct 2013

Great hostel. No wonder it won lots of awards. Staff friendly, nice common area. Couldn`t fault it at all. One thing maybe (nitpicking now) - it is really not necessary to change the towel everyday. I stayed three nights and the towel was taken from my bed and replaced by a new one each day.

Fairman House, Derry, Northern Ireland
26th Sep 2013

I stayed three nights at Fairman House. Excellent hostel. Kitchen, bathrooms, living room - everything was great and comfortable. It is a bit of a walk up from town, but on the plus side that means that the area is lovely and quiet. Good breakfast too. Highly recommended.

Budgett Hostels, Groningen, Netherlands
4th Sep 2013

Had a good stay at Budgett Inn and would definitely stay again if travels take me to Groningen. The en suite bathroom is tiny but there were other facilities down the corridor. Nice big beds and lockers provided. Just disappointing that there is no kitchen for guests. Having to eat out would defeat the purpose of staying in a hostel (hence I was forced to have chips...).

Sanlitun Youth Hostel, Beijing, China
14th May 2013

Nice place; everything comfortable. I was glad I opted to stay here rather than right in the city centre. Metro is the easiest way of getting here. I had to leave during the night and the evening receptionist said a taxi could be called during the night when I checked out. Night receptionist said it was too late and put the blame on me, rather than acknowledging that his colleague had misinformed me. This was annoying, though he did manage to get me a taxi straightaway then.

Hi , Thank you for stay at our hostel, sorry for it, we will tell our staff to know that, thank you. Regards Sanlitun hostel

Han Tang Inn Hostel, Xi'an, China
8th May 2013

Am getting spoilt with all the nice and functional hostels in China. Han Tang Inn is absolutely fine, but not as outstanding as some. The ground floor dorm was dark and a bit small. It required coordination if all guests were moving around at the same time. I am not a fan of ensuite bathrooms in dorms. I prefer larger general ones where you can take your time. Nice restaurant/reception area on the ground floor though and a lovely rooftop garden.

3rd May 2013

Another great hostel in China. Standards are really high compared to some other countries. Once again a large spacious dorm, good showers and a very nice building with lots of fresh flowers even. Nice bar downstairs and helpful staff. Few free computers too. Only minus point - on the last of my three nights a large group of Chinese guests had a party on the balcony. There are notices asking people to socialize downstairs, but this was not enforced.

SleepyFish Lodge, Dali, China
30th Apr 2013

Very nice guesthouse. Comfortable bed, good shower, nice space around the bunk bed and a little electric fan. There are some very sweet dogs on the premises. Good breakfast. Just bring earplugs. The neighbour's chickens curiously sound like foghorns.

6th Apr 2013

I really liked this hostel. I ended up there because others were full, but found it one of the nicest hostels I have stayed in. Very nice building, with lots of pretty corners to sit. Dorm and fascilities were fine, staff helpful. There is a nice bar/restaurant downstairs. Only minus point: Putting on a loud film in the bar kills the atmosphere.

• Netherlands, Female,
28th Mar 2013

Very nice hostel. The common area and garden are great places to hang around. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Fascilities good and showers nice and hot. My only complaint, as with most hostels in China, is that they seem to be cleaning all the time. Wherever you sit someone with a mop needs to get around you! A good complaint to have, I guess.

20th Mar 2013

My first hostel in China. It was very comfortable and not too noisy. Not difficult to find either with the Hostelworld instructions. One drawback is that they clean too much. Every time you want to go into the bathroom you feel like you are disturbing the cleaners with their work. They clean just as everybody is getting up. Fascilities good: Locker, comfortable bed, free hot water, common room etc.

• Netherlands, Mixed Group, 41+
Salmon Weir Hostel, Galway, Ireland
28th Feb 2013

Went for Salmon Weir just to try a change from the "swipe card hostels" where everybody is absorbed into their laptops. The hostel turned out to be precisely that. Nice to have a common room where people actually talk to each other! The kitchen is large and well equipped. Staff very enthusiastic.

Innisfree House, Dundalk, Ireland
27th Feb 2013

I'm a hosteller and I don't stay in B&B's often. Dundalk didn't have a hostel, hence my stay at Innisfree House. This was a real treat. It's a beautiful building, very atmospheric. The room was comfortable, staff really friendly and the breakfast was excellent. Highly recommended.

Euro Hostel Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
20th Jan 2013

Very good hostel. It has everything you need, even though the kitchen is a bit small and not that well equipped. It is a very large, almost businesslike, hostel and could therefore not be called cosy, but it has everything you need. Comfortable beds, good showers, wi-fi, a common room. Breakfast unremarkable but free.

17th Jan 2013

Good location; comfortable beds. Huge dorms with plenty of space. Nice atmospheric old building and a large kitchen. Nice common room also. The only reason I don't like mixed dorms is men with smelly feet, and there was one in my room. I went to Tesco and bought air freshener. One other improvement they could add would be lockers. Other than that - good place. Lots of posters and flyers of things to do locally as well.

7th Dec 2012

Grand hostel. Great location, friendly staff. Free internet (with computers!) in the lobby and complimentary apples are a nice touch! Sink in bedroom is not great, because one person brushing teeth or putting in contact lenses potentially disturbs eight people sleeping. There are actually large communal bathrooms at the end of the corridors, but I did not discover this until the morning I was leaving. Breakfast decent.

Sheilas Cork Hostel, Cork, Ireland
6th Dec 2012

I first stayed in this hostel 20 years ago and was pleased to see it is still there! I like the large kitchen. Bedrooms are comfortable, staff friendly. All good.

Vagabonds, Belfast, Northern Ireland
10th Nov 2012

Had a great stay at Vagabonds. Good location, nice staff and a cosy building. Everything worked, no complaints at all. Slept very well in a not overheated room (finally a hostel that gets this right!). Am going to stay here again.

Globe Backpackers Exeter, Exeter, England
15th Aug 2012

Lovely hostel. I really liked the common room with a radio. Much nicer than an attention-zapping TV. Very comfortable beds and showers and a good kitchen. Would definitely stay again. Only minus point: Morning receptionist was very unfriendly when I chanced a public transport question.

Affittacamere Ghega, Trieste, Italy
11th Jun 2012

I arrived in Trieste with little time to spare to go and see Bruce Springsteen. The hostel already had printed instructions in English how to get to the stadium by bus. I was very impressed. I had a very comfortable stay. I was in a "two person dorm" with no other person (just lucky) so I had a room to myself with a TV to watch the football, plus free wi-fi. The hostel is in a nice atmospheric apartment building with antique lift. Only minor point is that there is no kitchen for guests.

12th Apr 2012

Very pleasant stay. I was over for a gig in Wembley and the location was really convenient. I also liked the curtained bunk beds. Will definitely stay again if I need to be in West London.

The Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel, Columbus OH, USA
22nd Feb 2012

What a lovely hostel. Too bad I had so little time to actually spend there as I was only in town for the Frank Turner concert.. Nice, comfortable and cheerful place in a pretty neighborhood. Thumbs up. For any of you wanting to get from CMH airport to the hostel by public bus. This is possible and it costs only USD2. Ask for a transfer when you pay. From CMH you first take bus 92 to Broad St, then 10 to High Street and finally 4 to Clinton. Can take up to 1.5 hour in total.

I very glad that you enjoyed staying with us. To add to your info, we offer airport transfers for $15 (you will get 1 free transfer if you stay 3 nights or longer). Note: transfers are not available 9am to 5pm weekdays.

Sleep-Station, Muenster, Germany
6.7
17th Nov 2011

Nothing wrong with it, but not one to rave about either. The area is not so nice, though it is convenient and very close to the station. Comfortable bed, good shower. Lots of do's and don'ts on the walls. Would still stay again if I had an occasion to be in Muenster because it's good value for money.

Hostel Helvetia, Warsaw, Poland
30th Oct 2011

Excellent hostel in good location with friendly and helpful staff. Great showers and good breakfast. Would definitely stay again. Only drawback was that a very big and very drunk man arrived in our dorm in the middle of the night. He had not checked in earlier as he arrived with his bag. I had to move beds because I was on the top bunk and when this man moved it was like an earthquake (and I am not fussy). He also talked to himself for over an hour. I guess we were unlucky.

Global Village, Belfast, Northern Ireland
17th Sep 2011

Excellent place. I was only in town for one night but had a very comfortable stay. Lovely old building, comfortable beds, nice big kitchen. The hostel was full on the night I stayed. Since the common area stays open during the night those wanting to stay up and chat hang out there and the dorms were quiet during the night, which is a great plus. I used to stay in Belfast HI and got no sleep at all.

Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel, Kilkenny, Ireland
9.0
13th Sep 2011

Great hostel. Comfortable bed, friendly atmosphere, free breakfast and spring water. I would definitely stay here again.

Rowan Tree Hostel, Ennis, Ireland
10th May 2009

The hostel has just been renovated and is very bright and clean. I stayed in a nice big dorm. The beds are very comfortable. The kitchen has everything you need and the hostel\'s location is great. Lovely view from my dorm. Excellent hostel.

Hospedaje Costanera, Punta Arenas, Chile
8.7
30th Jan 2009

I stayed at Hospedaje Costanera three times during my recent trips and I felt very much at home. Teresa is one of the nicest and most helpful hosts I have ever come across on my travels. The breakfast is good and the beds are very comfortable. I didn't mind the walk to and from town. It is 20 minutes, but if you keep varying your route it enables you to see different parts of the town. Recommended!

21st Oct 2008

I was well happy with my choice to stay at the Barranco Backpackers Inn. Barranco is a very nice neighbourhood. Staff were super helpful. The one drawback is that my dorm was next to the common room. It was not as quiet as I had hoped after reading the comments from one of the previous posters on Hostelworld.

Belfast International Youth Hostel, Belfast, Northern Ireland
16th Dec 2007

A modern hostel with swipecards for keys. The beds are very comfortable and there are good showers and internet access. There was a little bit of noise from the pubs outside, but not as bad as I had expected. I slept very well. I would stay here again.

Green Garden Hostel, Belgrade, Serbia
26th Nov 2007

The Green Garden Hostel is new and looks very nice. The beds are super comfortable, the staff are nice and you get a very tasty pastry for breakfast. There is free internet also. When we were there there was only one other person staying there, so it was quiet and we slept very well. The hostel is a bit away from the centre, but if you follow the instructions on the site it is not hard to find and busses run until late.

22nd Oct 2007

I have stayed in this hostel several times now. You can't beat the location; beds are comfortable; showers nice and hot. Last time it was uncomfortably warm in the rooms but that is no longer the case. The only thing is that I didn't sleep well. The first night 3 Japanese or Korean girls arrived at 3 a.m., switched the lights on and started talking and pottering about, as if there was nobody trying to sleep in the dorm. They seemed surprised when I asked them to keep their voices down a bit. Second and third night there were a lot of party people in the corridors. It is supposed to be quiet time from 23:00 to 07:00. It would be good if the staff did something about these blatant offenders. I am not a fussy sleeper and I understand that people need the light on for a bit when they get ready for bed, but hours of loud drunken waffle aren't fun to listen to.

22nd Mar 2007

Beds very comfortable. Plenty of sinks and showers. Only criticism is that the heater is cranked up uncomfortably hot in the dorms.

5th Aug 2006

Beautiful old building in a wonderful location. Good for walking, swimming and fishing. Living room has a fireplace. Owner goes out of her way to make everybody welcome. Recommended.

Dolce Vita Derry old, Derry, Northern Ireland
9.3
1st Mar 2006

Lovely hostel. Great kitchen, free internet, nice bright rooms and close to the city wall. Sometimes when travelling you long for the comforts of home, but this place was more comfortable than home!

9th Feb 2006

HI Chicago is huge and very quiet at this time of year. Personally this suits me fine. The kitchen is well equiped and in the dining area you are eye to eye with passengers on the El! The hostel is very clean and they run an interesting free guided city walk.

5th Nov 2005

Was only going to stay one night as I was in town for a concert, but I liked Gram's Place so much that I am staying on. A great place to hang out, full of music and train memorabilia.

The Chocolate Hostel & Crew House, Fort Lauderdale, USA
7.0
4th Nov 2005

Full of boat people, looking for work on cruiseships. Interesting. They put tax on top of your bill, so I had to pay more than the balance quoted on my Hostelword printout. The warden says that this is in the terms and conditions that I must have clicked 'Agree' to.

YHA Cambridge, Cambridge, England
7.3
28th Jul 2005

I was pleasantly surprised by the free and varied breakfast!