Location: Netherlands, Gender: Female, Age: 47

The Crown Hotel & Bar

Glastonbury, England

Busy hostel above a pub right in the centre of Glastonbury. Yet the dorms are on the top floor and guests were considerate. I slept really well. Nice big lounge and kitchen area too. Would stay again for sure.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Top of the Hill Hostel

Baltimore, Ireland

Nothing bad to say about this hostel. Nice, large and well equiped kitchen. Warden very friendly. Location good, lockers in rooms. Would definitely stay again.

• 9th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

At 11 Euro per bed you cannot beat the price of this hostel. The walk from town isn't bad at all and it is nice to have a look around the university grounds. Staff are friendly and busses to Skibbereen, Tralee etc. stop right opposite the hostel. I was surprised how busy it was for early May. No lockers and the kitchen is small, though people were considerate and washing up quickly.

• 6th May 2014

Hostel Miles

Prague, Czech Republic

Great location, nice and bright spacious dorms. Friendly and helpful staff. Fast wi-fi in addition to two computers available to guests. The kitchen is a bit small and this is a party hostel. You can buy beer at reception at any time. This is great if you are the one having the party; not so great if you want a quiet time.

• 8th Mar 2014

Locomotive Light Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

This is a fantastic hostel. It is in one of those atmospheric enormous townhouses with a courtyard. I was in a split level dorm. Plenty of personal space. Staff very friendly and helpful. Very handy location for the train station. Walking distance to town. Big plus is that you are away from the noisy party district. I would definitely stay here again.

• 5th Mar 2014

YHA London Central

Excellent hostel in a nice location. Some YHA hostels no longer have kitchens but this one has, so that is a big plus. Wi-fi is free and there is a nice big lounge downstairs. Receptionist Tiina was very efficient. Top marks.

• 20th Feb 2014

Globe Backpackers Exeter

Exeter, England

I really like this hostel. It was my second time here. Nice and homely big dorm. The common room has a radio and people actually talk to each other. This doesn't happen much anymore in hostels these days! I arrived outside check-in hours but the owner let me in anyway, which I appreciated very much (heavy bags!).

• 19th Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

My first time in this hostel. I really like the pod beds with curtains; almost like a mini room. The building is pretty and there is a very nice, big lounge. Downside is that there is not much of a kitchen. Kitchen staff barked at me when I tried to wash my dishes. I should have known that leaving them dirty was the done thing…. Checking in took a long time as well. I would stay at this hostel again though. Good location and fascilities.

• 15th Feb 2014

Albatross

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have stayed at this hostel before. Nice atmospheric building. I was there on a Saturday night and was worried since Newcastle is such a party town, however the lounge area of the hostel is in the basement and the dorms are upstairs, so this was no problem. Big kitchen, free wi-fi, all good.

• 8th Feb 2014

Le Clic

Montreal, Canada

I am glad I opted to come here for my second stay in Montreal, rather than in one of the big "swipecard hostels". Le Clic feels more like a shared house. Nice atmosphere, big kitchen and common area, very nice neighbourhood. And the breakfast is good. The only time I had nice crunchy bread in a hostel in Canada.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

I had a very pleasant stay at Auberge de la Paix and am going to stay there again. The building is nice and it makes a change from the faceless swipecard hostels. And the dimmer switch in the dormitory is a fabulous invention. All hostels should have this. Breakfast good too.

• 24th Oct 2013

M Montreal

Montreal, Canada

Great hostel. No wonder it won lots of awards. Staff friendly, nice common area. Couldn`t fault it at all. One thing maybe (nitpicking now) - it is really not necessary to change the towel everyday. I stayed three nights and the towel was taken from my bed and replaced by a new one each day.

• 21st Oct 2013

Fairman House

Derry, Northern Ireland

I stayed three nights at Fairman House. Excellent hostel. Kitchen, bathrooms, living room - everything was great and comfortable. It is a bit of a walk up from town, but on the plus side that means that the area is lovely and quiet. Good breakfast too. Highly recommended.

• 26th Sep 2013

Budgett Hostels

Groningen, Netherlands

Had a good stay at Budgett Inn and would definitely stay again if travels take me to Groningen. The en suite bathroom is tiny but there were other facilities down the corridor. Nice big beds and lockers provided. Just disappointing that there is no kitchen for guests. Having to eat out would defeat the purpose of staying in a hostel (hence I was forced to have chips...).

• 4th Sep 2013

Sanlitun Youth Hostel

Beijing, China

Nice place; everything comfortable. I was glad I opted to stay here rather than right in the city centre. Metro is the easiest way of getting here. I had to leave during the night and the evening receptionist said a taxi could be called during the night when I checked out. Night receptionist said it was too late and put the blame on me, rather than acknowledging that his colleague had misinformed me. This was annoying, though he did manage to get me a taxi straightaway then.

• 14th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi , Thank you for stay at our hostel, sorry for it, we will tell our staff to know that, thank you. Regards Sanlitun hostel

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Am getting spoilt with all the nice and functional hostels in China. Han Tang Inn is absolutely fine, but not as outstanding as some. The ground floor dorm was dark and a bit small. It required coordination if all guests were moving around at the same time. I am not a fan of ensuite bathrooms in dorms. I prefer larger general ones where you can take your time. Nice restaurant/reception area on the ground floor though and a lovely rooftop garden.

Another great hostel in China. Standards are really high compared to some other countries. Once again a large spacious dorm, good showers and a very nice building with lots of fresh flowers even. Nice bar downstairs and helpful staff. Few free computers too. Only minus point - on the last of my three nights a large group of Chinese guests had a party on the balcony. There are notices asking people to socialize downstairs, but this was not enforced.

SleepyFish Lodge

Dali, China

Very nice guesthouse. Comfortable bed, good shower, nice space around the bunk bed and a little electric fan. There are some very sweet dogs on the premises. Good breakfast. Just bring earplugs. The neighbour's chickens curiously sound like foghorns.

• 30th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

I really liked this hostel. I ended up there because others were full, but found it one of the nicest hostels I have stayed in. Very nice building, with lots of pretty corners to sit. Dorm and fascilities were fine, staff helpful. There is a nice bar/restaurant downstairs. Only minus point: Putting on a loud film in the bar kills the atmosphere.

• 6th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Very nice hostel. The common area and garden are great places to hang around. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Fascilities good and showers nice and hot. My only complaint, as with most hostels in China, is that they seem to be cleaning all the time. Wherever you sit someone with a mop needs to get around you! A good complaint to have, I guess.

• 28th Mar 2013
  • Female

My first hostel in China. It was very comfortable and not too noisy. Not difficult to find either with the Hostelworld instructions. One drawback is that they clean too much. Every time you want to go into the bathroom you feel like you are disturbing the cleaners with their work. They clean just as everybody is getting up. Fascilities good: Locker, comfortable bed, free hot water, common room etc.

• 20th Mar 2013

Salmon Weir Hostel

Galway, Ireland

Went for Salmon Weir just to try a change from the "swipe card hostels" where everybody is absorbed into their laptops. The hostel turned out to be precisely that. Nice to have a common room where people actually talk to each other! The kitchen is large and well equipped. Staff very enthusiastic.

• 28th Feb 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Innisfree House

Dundalk, Ireland

I'm a hosteller and I don't stay in B&B's often. Dundalk didn't have a hostel, hence my stay at Innisfree House. This was a real treat. It's a beautiful building, very atmospheric. The room was comfortable, staff really friendly and the breakfast was excellent. Highly recommended.

• 27th Feb 2013

Euro Hostel Newcastle

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Very good hostel. It has everything you need, even though the kitchen is a bit small and not that well equipped. It is a very large, almost businesslike, hostel and could therefore not be called cosy, but it has everything you need. Comfortable beds, good showers, wi-fi, a common room. Breakfast unremarkable but free.

• 20th Jan 2013

Albatross

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Good location; comfortable beds. Huge dorms with plenty of space. Nice atmospheric old building and a large kitchen. Nice common room also. The only reason I don't like mixed dorms is men with smelly feet, and there was one in my room. I went to Tesco and bought air freshener. One other improvement they could add would be lockers. Other than that - good place. Lots of posters and flyers of things to do locally as well.

• 17th Jan 2013

Kinlay Eyre Square Hostel

Galway, Ireland

Grand hostel. Great location, friendly staff. Free internet (with computers!) in the lobby and complimentary apples are a nice touch! Sink in bedroom is not great, because one person brushing teeth or putting in contact lenses potentially disturbs eight people sleeping. There are actually large communal bathrooms at the end of the corridors, but I did not discover this until the morning I was leaving. Breakfast decent.

• 7th Dec 2012

Sheilas Cork Hostel

Cork, Ireland

I first stayed in this hostel 20 years ago and was pleased to see it is still there! I like the large kitchen. Bedrooms are comfortable, staff friendly. All good.

• 6th Dec 2012

Vagabonds

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Had a great stay at Vagabonds. Good location, nice staff and a cosy building. Everything worked, no complaints at all. Slept very well in a not overheated room (finally a hostel that gets this right!). Am going to stay here again.

• 10th Nov 2012

Globe Backpackers Exeter

Exeter, England

Lovely hostel. I really liked the common room with a radio. Much nicer than an attention-zapping TV. Very comfortable beds and showers and a good kitchen. Would definitely stay again. Only minus point: Morning receptionist was very unfriendly when I chanced a public transport question.

• 15th Aug 2012

Affittacamere Ghega

Trieste, Italy

I arrived in Trieste with little time to spare to go and see Bruce Springsteen. The hostel already had printed instructions in English how to get to the stadium by bus. I was very impressed. I had a very comfortable stay. I was in a "two person dorm" with no other person (just lucky) so I had a room to myself with a TV to watch the football, plus free wi-fi. The hostel is in a nice atmospheric apartment building with antique lift. Only minor point is that there is no kitchen for guests.

• 11th Jun 2012
  • Globetrotter

Very pleasant stay. I was over for a gig in Wembley and the location was really convenient. I also liked the curtained bunk beds. Will definitely stay again if I need to be in West London.

• 12th Apr 2012

The Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel

Columbus OH, USA

What a lovely hostel. Too bad I had so little time to actually spend there as I was only in town for the Frank Turner concert.. Nice, comfortable and cheerful place in a pretty neighborhood. Thumbs up. For any of you wanting to get from CMH airport to the hostel by public bus. This is possible and it costs only USD2. Ask for a transfer when you pay. From CMH you first take bus 92 to Broad St, then 10 to High Street and finally 4 to Clinton. Can take up to 1.5 hour in total.

• 22nd Feb 2012
  • Globetrotter

I very glad that you enjoyed staying with us. To add to your info, we offer airport transfers for $15 (you will get 1 free transfer if you stay 3 nights or longer). Note: transfers are not available 9am to 5pm weekdays.

Sleep-Station

Muenster, Germany

Nothing wrong with it, but not one to rave about either. The area is not so nice, though it is convenient and very close to the station. Comfortable bed, good shower. Lots of do's and don'ts on the walls. Would still stay again if I had an occasion to be in Muenster because it's good value for money.

• 17th Nov 2011

Hostel Helvetia

Warsaw, Poland

Excellent hostel in good location with friendly and helpful staff. Great showers and good breakfast. Would definitely stay again. Only drawback was that a very big and very drunk man arrived in our dorm in the middle of the night. He had not checked in earlier as he arrived with his bag. I had to move beds because I was on the top bunk and when this man moved it was like an earthquake (and I am not fussy). He also talked to himself for over an hour. I guess we were unlucky.

• 30th Oct 2011

Global Village

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Excellent place. I was only in town for one night but had a very comfortable stay. Lovely old building, comfortable beds, nice big kitchen. The hostel was full on the night I stayed. Since the common area stays open during the night those wanting to stay up and chat hang out there and the dorms were quiet during the night, which is a great plus. I used to stay in Belfast HI and got no sleep at all.

• 17th Sep 2011
  • Globetrotter

Great hostel. Comfortable bed, friendly atmosphere, free breakfast and spring water. I would definitely stay here again.

• 13th Sep 2011

Rowan Tree Hostel

Ennis, Ireland

The hostel has just been renovated and is very bright and clean. I stayed in a nice big dorm. The beds are very comfortable. The kitchen has everything you need and the hostel\'s location is great. Lovely view from my dorm. Excellent hostel.

Hospedaje Costanera

Punta Arenas, Chile

I stayed at Hospedaje Costanera three times during my recent trips and I felt very much at home. Teresa is one of the nicest and most helpful hosts I have ever come across on my travels. The breakfast is good and the beds are very comfortable. I didn't mind the walk to and from town. It is 20 minutes, but if you keep varying your route it enables you to see different parts of the town. Recommended!

I was well happy with my choice to stay at the Barranco Backpackers Inn. Barranco is a very nice neighbourhood. Staff were super helpful. The one drawback is that my dorm was next to the common room. It was not as quiet as I had hoped after reading the comments from one of the previous posters on Hostelworld.

Belfast International Youth Hostel

Belfast, Northern Ireland

A modern hostel with swipecards for keys. The beds are very comfortable and there are good showers and internet access. There was a little bit of noise from the pubs outside, but not as bad as I had expected. I slept very well. I would stay here again.

Green Garden Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

The Green Garden Hostel is new and looks very nice. The beds are super comfortable, the staff are nice and you get a very tasty pastry for breakfast. There is free internet also. When we were there there was only one other person staying there, so it was quiet and we slept very well. The hostel is a bit away from the centre, but if you follow the instructions on the site it is not hard to find and busses run until late.

HI - Chicago

Chicago, USA

I have stayed in this hostel several times now. You can't beat the location; beds are comfortable; showers nice and hot. Last time it was uncomfortably warm in the rooms but that is no longer the case. The only thing is that I didn't sleep well. The first night 3 Japanese or Korean girls arrived at 3 a.m., switched the lights on and started talking and pottering about, as if there was nobody trying to sleep in the dorm. They seemed surprised when I asked them to keep their voices down a bit. Second and third night there were a lot of party people in the corridors. It is supposed to be quiet time from 23:00 to 07:00. It would be good if the staff did something about these blatant offenders. I am not a fussy sleeper and I understand that people need the light on for a bit when they get ready for bed, but hours of loud drunken waffle aren't fun to listen to.

Kinlay Eyre Square Hostel

Galway, Ireland

Beds very comfortable. Plenty of sinks and showers. Only criticism is that the heater is cranked up uncomfortably hot in the dorms.

Beautiful old building in a wonderful location. Good for walking, swimming and fishing. Living room has a fireplace. Owner goes out of her way to make everybody welcome. Recommended.

Dolce Vita Derry old

Derry, Northern Ireland

Lovely hostel. Great kitchen, free internet, nice bright rooms and close to the city wall. Sometimes when travelling you long for the comforts of home, but this place was more comfortable than home!

HI - Chicago

Chicago, USA

HI Chicago is huge and very quiet at this time of year. Personally this suits me fine. The kitchen is well equiped and in the dining area you are eye to eye with passengers on the El! The hostel is very clean and they run an interesting free guided city walk.

Was only going to stay one night as I was in town for a concert, but I liked Gram's Place so much that I am staying on. A great place to hang out, full of music and train memorabilia.

Full of boat people, looking for work on cruiseships. Interesting. They put tax on top of your bill, so I had to pay more than the balance quoted on my Hostelword printout. The warden says that this is in the terms and conditions that I must have clicked 'Agree' to.

YHA Cambridge

Cambridge, England

I was pleasantly surprised by the free and varied breakfast!