Reviews: CrazyAds

Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 32

Hostal Villa Colonial

Zacatecas, Mexico

No activities or coffee or socialising but a cheap, old private room close to the centre. Think cheap hotel without an elevator.

• 12th Sep 2013

Firehouse Hostel

Austin, USA

Of my three month trip, this hostel and city was the highlight. The bar looks fantastic and has a great bartender and person in Mariana who served me up something special every time. The pub crawl had some outstanding music, the hostel design is great and location on 6th street could not be any better. Very easy to meet people which is super important for a solo traveller. I will be back in Austin just for this hostel and staff!!

• 7th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

I have stayed in over 100 hostels and this is one of the best atmosphere's I have ever seen. Extraordinary value for money and super easy to meet people, super friendly crowd too. 1 camera on the fridge where we put our beers would stop us losing our alcohol every night.

• 27th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

Good value for the private room, but absolutely no atmosphere. The social area is one couch and a bench for laptops in an area where u cannot drink. As a social guy travelling by himself, I found it impossible to meet people. Even on the weekend there were no activities or outingsl Denver deserves a real hostel.

• 23rd Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

Very social hostel which broke up into two groups. The young, party Aussies, and the older travellers. socialising was easier than most big hostels, just sit at the bar stools and make friends in minutes!! Food and night,I've we're excellent too.

• 28th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

By far the best HI I've ever stayed in. Good crowd and quite social. 4.blocks from 23rd st which is probably the best place to hang out in Portland. Don't miss happy hour at Bartini up the road!!

• 28th Feb 2013

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

Typical big hostel, treat you like a number. I had to ask specifically for a towel, they wouldn't print my boarding pass for me, even when I offered to paid. Individual tables made it hard for a solo traveler to meet people. BBQ was 90% bun and 10% meat and salad. Basically a big, cost cutting corporation with the thinnest toilet paper I'd ever seen, inedible free pancakes, and free coffee so terrible nobody drank it coupled with a 10am check out!! Def. wont be staying here again.

• 12th Dec 2012

Hostel Amigo

Mexico City, Mexico

What a terrible place. BIG hostel with appalling design and super overpriced tours / night events / dorms! Reading all the reviews I thought this place would be rad. No powerpoints near the bed, pathetic shower pressure, NO ALCOHOL allowed to be brought in, NO bar (just a beer keg 5-11pm), social area far too large and unaccommodatoing. Most people left after a few days to another hostel because it was so hard to meet people.

Hi , sorry to hear you had a bad experience in our Hostel, our place is made for our guests to meet another people and make their best experience ever, we allow alcohol in the lobby but not in the rooms for respect to other fellow travellers that want to sleep. Hope to see you bak again and have a better experience!

This is the place you stay when you can't get into Miami Backpackers (MB). NO socialising and more expensive than MB so I'd only stay here as a last resort! The 3pm check in time is BS too.

• 19th Aug 2012

Brothers Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Very nice design. Just watch out for the tours you don't need, and whatever you do don't ride the camel to Giza...I'm still bleeding. Also would be nice if they sold beers.

• 3rd Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

One of the best hostels in the world!! Finally a place where the management actually believes in the ethos of a back packer; keep it is cheap as possible and base everything around making your guests have a great time - well done Rafi!!! Perfect social area, free food basket, extremely good for social travellers and interesting and energetic staff (Petter, Noam) who genuninely engage you from the moment you step in the door. The fact that this is also the cheapest hostel in Israel is a miracle

• 27th Jun 2012
  • Globetrotter

coming from you, this is the best compliment I got this year. toda raba man . I hope to see you again. Rafi

Agora Hostel and Guesthouse

Istanbul, Turkey

Good location and nice character but terrible for socialization. In 3 nights nobody was drinking and when I finally did meet someone, we came back to the hostel at midnight and couldn't even buy a beer.

• 18th Jun 2012

SUM Guesthouse Busan Station

Busan, South Korea

Fantastic Design and the service / breakfast was fantastic. It was low season so the place was quite empty but they really went out of their way to look after us. They even had a free dinner and drinks saturday night. Downside is its near the train station and far from the bus station / nightlife.

• 11th May 2012

Ashoka Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Considering hotel / hostel prices in HK. This place is very good value. Rooms couldn't be smaller but the location makes up for it.

• 17th Jan 2012

Siam Journey Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

Great little place right on the airport train line. Super Social and a Crew of Expats come round every night to beef up the numbers. Perfect for Solo travellers of people who are flying out the next day. Leo worked his butt off and was always very helpful, polite and made you feel at home. Keep up the good work Leo!!

• 4th Jan 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thanks, Adam, you just made my day. Hope everything is well for you back in Guangzhou, and see you around the world someday.

Avalon House

Dublin, Ireland

This hostel was terrible. The rooms were extremely old and worn (the undersheets were torn and yellow) and the wifi worked for about 10 minutes a day and was extremely slow! Its a huge hostel so no activities to meet other travellers. I also had to check out and check in just to change rooms! The food next door was expensive and terrible. Stay away!

• 22nd Oct 2011

Global Village

Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have stayed in over 100 hostels and this place is in my top 5!! Absolutely perfect in every way. Hillarious staff, super social, beautifully designed, very spacious rooms, oddles of activities and games including Wii!!, Communal dinner and drinks every night for 5 pounds. I honestly couldn't fault it. Come to Belfast just to stay at this place, I'm going back in 2 days!!!

• 20th Oct 2011

Barnacles Temple Bar House

Dublin, Ireland

Not a good place for solo travellers. The common room was uninviting and the hostel seemed to have lots of French and German large groups. No Wifi in the rooms was also a real pain, especially when you can't get a seat in the common room.

Beautiful design, huge rooms and brilliant array of activities / restaurant / tour guides. Restaurant was also very good food. Prepare for long waits at reception.

• 11th Oct 2011

Frendz Resort Boracay

Boracay Island, Philippines

Exactly a year ago I stayed here and it was just as good this time. Fantastic people, food and an unbeatable vibe. I'll be back next year again to make it a hat trick! One of the best hostels in the world. I hope they bring back the weekly buffet!!

Our Melting Pot

Manila, Philippines

New and Clean. Only problem was I am 6"2 and the bunk beds were about 6"0.

• 17th Aug 2011

Sanya Backpackers

Sanya, China

The hostel: Good location, good crowd (18-23). Just watch out for owners constant trying to sell you an overpriced package in the hostel - Scuba Diving, A particular 'friends' restaurant, hostel restaurant, snorkeling & The hostel 'Buffet' are all complete Ripoffs. The city: Compared to Thailand, Vietnam, Phillipines this is not a desireable beach holiday destination. It is expensive and the beach, streets & water is filthy dirty and poorly managed.

• 27th Jul 2011
  • Globetrotter

dear, i thank you for staying with us but i awfully disappointed in your review. i understand you want to open a hostel, i hope it's not in sanya. if it is, maybe that's the reason why you gave me such a review. i'm fully certified PADI instructor license no. 488005 and i'm the only fluent english speaking instructor in sanya. my dive package for 500 rmb inclusive of a dive with full set of equipment, plus BBQ lunch and transport to a less commercialised beach of sanya. in dadonghai area for 380 rmb you get a dive only, non english speaking and not even a certified dive master. for 120 rmb more i don't think it's a ripoff in terms of safety and professionalism. my snorkeling trip for 380 is inclusive of paddle boarding or surfing, banana boat ride, jet ski or wake boarding, ATV, snorkeling and BBQ lunch. in dadonghai area for mins jet ski you pay 150 rmb. you wanted both for the price of one. IMPOSSIBLE you asked for recommendation for seafood, i responded that there's plenty of seafood reataurant just outside the hostel and i even warn you that they will try to rip you off. i went with you to a restaurant i patronised offen that will give you a reasonable price and i didn't pressure you into it. my hostel menu for example my breakfast is priced at 25 rmb for sandwich, coffee or tea plus juice and fruit. outside at least 35 rmb. we organised buffet for guests to mingle and get to know each other. my staff work hard and clean up for 8 items buffet for a lousy 50 rmb. if sanya is not the perfect holiday destination for you, don't put the blame on me.

0%. The only dorm within 45mins of expo. A climate control that was 'broken' for 8 days,staff that made no effort,one AC plug in the entire room, toilet lid broken, no toilet paper, charged for towel, water pressure pathetic, hot water lasts 3 mins and absolutely no socialising whatsoever. The food portions were tiny and prices sky high. Internet didn't work in the dorm. They tried to overcharge me when I had to extend my stay. Nothing but 45+ Chinese business guys.

It is our honor that you stayed at our hostel.we are so sorry that you met several problems in the dorm.we have dealt with all.it is pity that we gave you bad impression .thank you for your all advice and welcome to stay here next time .

Ashoka Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Hong Kong is probably the worst city in the world for hostels, but this place was definitely the best value hostel in HK. The staff were great,price rock bottom, and location couldn't be better just dont expect to meet other travelers.

Frendz Resort Boracay

Boracay Island, Philippines

Wow its hard to fault this place. I've spent over 900 nights in hostels over 9 years. The standard of middle range accomm. in the Philippines is pretty darn low but this place stands out. The bungalows are spacious, clean and tropical. The whole place is like a tropical resort at $20USD a night for a private room. The staff went the extra mile, chatting with the owner, taking your bags for you (and wouldn't accept a tip) and the price is the same as a seedy hotel. Excellent mix of crowd too ( 1

The Pit Stop Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

Great vibe from the place and the hottest staff i've ever seen, but the rooms / facilities were run down and completely packed with guys. Activities would have made the place a lot better.

Awesome place, awesome vibe. The Staff were more efficacious than friendly, which was an issue because I couldn't pay the full up amount at check-in. Apart from that, couldn't fault it!!

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

I concur with the other reviews...Amazing staff, man they really excel under the toughest possible conditions. Rooms were OK, but the nightly events were spectacular especially the Limo Ride! Only downside is the price, thought perhaps it excluded a good chunk of the party market. Great place to hook up with Australian girls!

The Phoenix

Shanghai, China

Yeah just like a hotel except a hotel with 200 people usually has people at the bar. Would be good if on business, terrible for a solo traveller.

Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The numero uno place to be in KL. Immaculately clean, bright and new. Also staff are very liberal so can bring in your own drinks and pretty much do what you want without raising an eyebrow. Also an outstanding selection of DVDs and dance CDs to watch / burn / listen to. Also the 24 hour restaurant 50 metres away serves the most delicious Mee Lemak... I ate it daily!!!

Classic Inn Budget Hotel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Surpassed all expectations. Bright rooms, very modern and staff as attentive as a 5 star restaurant. Great place!

Babylon Guest House

Vang Vieng, Laos

Big rooms, bright, clean. Free pool and drinking water and lots of activities. Never seen staff so willing to go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. One of the best!!!

We are either the best, most helpful people in the world or not. Two happy customers in the row? Think we will get them framed and put on the wall.

Son & Daughter

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Unbelieveably nice, bright rooms. Liberal staff too.

Yellow House Hotel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Great value. If value was a hostelworld criterion, this place would rate a lot higher.

Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Definitely the upmarket option in Bangkok. A couple of dollars more for pure indulgence. Was full of professionals and Americans than wanted to party. Staff were hot and I hooked up with an Essex girl. Will be checking in here to check for more Essex girls next time.

Lord Wolseley

Sydney, Australia

Staff were the real let down here with the absense of a common area compounding matters. The pub downstairs closed at 12 (and had to be out by then) and nothing else within 15 minutes walk on a friday night!! Only two showers per floor and I was woken up my management at 8am because i took an extra pillow!

Brisbane Backpackers Resort

Brisbane, Australia

Loads of rules and the bar shuts before 10pm!! The pool and basketball court more than make up for it though. Expect to spend more for a towel and remember its only the 4 bed dorms if you're an Aussie ($30)

Hostal Fatima

Bogota, Colombia

After 2 years staying in hostels this place was the best. The staff genuinely cared about your welfare, there was always an underground party coming up (a couple of promoters live in the hostel), and the food was good and extremely cheap. Massive DVD collection, hotel like atmosphere, right number of people, ~40, and no rules! If I started a hostel, I would base it on Fatima.

Inti Huasi

Salta, Argentina

Awesome atmosphere, more like a guesthouse, walking distance to everythere and the staff were simply great.

Not ideal for single travellers, in a group would be awesome.

Lisbon Lounge Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Antonio was a star! Fun, great cook and extremely friendly.

All things considered. The BEST hostel I\'ve ever stayed at, mind you I\'m a party animal.

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

RIght next to the train / bus station everywhere was within walking distance. Was a very lame crowd, though. You know 18 yr olds eating soup and playing scrabble.

A&O Berlin am Zoo

Berlin, Germany

No effort made to enhance your travels. Has hundreds of rooms, run like a huge company. No smiles, no helpfulness

The Hostel-Inn Tango City

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This place was awesome, I actually got completely wasted one night and the owner handled me professionally and courteously. Was tres impressed!!!!