Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 30

Pickwick Hall

The location is fantastic and staff so helpful from before I even arrived. Security was good with two locked front doors and a lock on the room door too. The bed was pretty comfy, it was nice because they weren't bunk beds! Bathrooms were ok but not the best I've seen in hostels. Breakfast and towels included are a nice touch too.

Die Wohngemeinschaft

Cologne, Germany

Absolutely amazing hostel! I've stayed all over the world in hostels and this was one of the best. The girls' room is a joy to stay in with big comfy beds, privacy curtains, bedside lights, big locking cupboards for bags (functional and pretty), mirrors, towels, just a lovely room. The breakfast was great value and delicious! The hostel is a bit out of the main centre of Cologne, about 20 mins walk. Also the hostel has no kitchen.

Generator Hostel Copenhagen

Copenhagen, Denmark

I really liked the bedroom at the Generator hostel, especially the pull out drawers to put a backpack in, as well as the lights+sockets for each bed. However, I found it annoying that there was no kitchen at the hostel. I had been travelling for several months and had food with me and nowhere to store it, nor to prepare a meal. The food prices at the hostel cafe are extortionate and do not offer better value for money than local cafes. 75DKK for cold continental breakfast - what a joke!

Sequoia Lodge Backpackers

Picton, New Zealand

Great hostel that I really liked but seriously... no locks on the bedroom doors?! This is highly unusual in my opinion and not ideal. The highlight for me was the chocolate pudding and ice cream at 8pm, nice touch.

Noosa Backpackers Resort

Noosa, Australia

This was a great hostel, just what we needed for the one night stay in Noosa. It's pretty far from the town which was a bit annoying, there is a free shuttle bus in the day time but could do with one pick up in the evening say 10pm or something. The hostel has a nice pool, bar area and does pizzas in the evening. But the bar means the hostel is no BYO booze which was a bit weird. Security was brilliant, loved the lockers with charging points in the back which meant we could leave things safely.

Fulir Hostel Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

This was one of the best hostels I have stayed in! Literally on the central square of Zagreb, it was so easy to find. Dave & Leo who run the place were splendid (!) and loved laughing at my English accent - also had a great night out with Dave & some of his friends and it was really interesting to get to know some locals. If you want a quiet hostel, don't come here as it was a 12 bed dorm that I was in, but if you're looking for a good time, great location & friendly, helpful staff then this is the place. It was also really good to have big lockers, large enough for my whole backpack. Cheers guys!

Alibi B14

Piran, Slovenia

What a great hostel! The staff were so cool, introducing me to some dodgy blueberry schnapps stuff and all their friends! They all got drunker than me but it was very entertaining... Had a great time in Piran, wish I had stayed longer. Thanks guys!

Fluxus Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Super hostel! Great location, easy walking distance to bus station, town centre, main sights, etc. Staff were friendly and really helpful. The rooms were huge and the bathrooms clean. Beds were made as well - like a hotel! Only thing was, it was not really an ensuite room as that was the main shower for the hostel. 12 people sharing one shower and one toilet was a bit of a stretch but manageable. Overall, it was fab.

Ever Silvester Guest House

Budapest, Hungary

I've seen a bad review for this guesthouse on another website - DON'T BELIEVE IT! We really enjoyed our stay here - if you are interested in the 2nd World War, this guesthouse is in the Budapest Jewish ghetto and the block is unchanged since those times apart from the introduction of central heating. Tamas, the owner, was really helpful and met us easily. He gave us tips for trips and arranged a taxi to the airport for us. The location is good, about 5 mins walk to one of the main metro interchanges. It's a small guesthouse, but we got on really well with the other people staying there. I thoroughly recommend it.

Hullam Hostel

Balaton, Hungary

This hostel was so much fun! It's only a couple of hundred metres from the beach, but to get there by train takes ages as you have to go through millions of stops around Lake Balaton before you get to Revfulop. The staff were fantastic, so friendly and helpful especially when we got ill. If you're looking for somewhere quiet to enjoy a holiday, you might want to look elsewhere as this place had a lively bar with a great selection of music playing all day and evening. The town itself is small and there isn't a massive selection of places to eat/bars but the hostel more than makes up for that, cooking traditional meals over a fire most evenings. If you're going on the train, there's no directions from the station, so just turn left out of the station and walk along the main road, you'll see the hostel in front of you.

Hostel Merlin

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

The hostel was great, right on the river and just next to the main square. The staff were friendly and spoke excellent English. The only drawback was that it wasn't too clean. We only stayed one night so it wasn't a problem but for a longer stay it might have been annoying.

Guesthouse Dream

Prague, Czech Republic

As many people before me have written, Guesthouse Dream was a dream! The owner Leo helped us in so many ways, from giving us maps and directions to transporting our luggage for us to his friend's apartment so we could stay there on our return to Prague from Cesky Krumlov. Stay three nights and get free pick-up too which is really useful in finding your way round.