Smile Society

Bangkok, Thailand

Very clean hostel in a lively area of Bangkok. Included breakfast is a cut above most hostels. Nearby night market and good street food in the area.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This place is blessed with enough space to be a party hostel if you want, or not. Downstairs are the tour booking desk, guest computers, bar, dining area, and swimming pool--so awesome after a day of sweating from temple to temple! Upper floors have large patios where you can find a bit more calm. Rooms are very reasonably priced, but keep in mind that (other than the 50-cent beer), food and drinks are charged at slightly inflated prices. Given the facilities, though, it's understandable.

Jade Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

This place was worth the hype. Clean, spacious room, super-attentive staff, and good breakfast. If you're looking to visit the royal tombs outside of town, they can help you hire a motorbike driver (or other transport, I imagine) to take you there. Highly recommended.

Street Backpackers Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

This was a good hostel, but I don't quite get all the hype. The facilities are a bit cramped and there's no air con in the common room, but the rooms and bathrooms are clean, the breakfast is a cut above most hostels, and there's free local beer from 8-9pm. Hanna (sp?) and Lio are helpful in answering questions and booking tickets to elsewhere. I highly recommend paying 100,000 Dong to have the Vietnamese feast that Lio's mother will cook you at another nearby hostel--ask at reception!

Dozy House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Definitely my favorite hostel in Asia, and one of my favorites overall. Gina (?) and her family really make the difference--she is so friendly and willing to help. Dorm room was ensuite, clean, and spacious. Each bed gets a locking closet big enough for a backpack and tall cubbyhole on top. Big kitchen for everyone's use (6 baht per egg) and free bananas! The kind of place you want to hang around for longer... PS: Ask Gina about the hostel romances--maybe you'll get lucky, too! ;-)

Hostel Suites Palermo

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I love this place! Best staff ever--Vero, Belen, Gabriel, Luis & Thales--good location close to buses & subte, cool building, two outdoor patios, very clean, cheap dinners on Mon/Tue/Wed, hairdryers in bathrooms. Minor complaints: computer area needs more light and dorms are cold in winter but probably fine at other times. The good about this place far outweighs any negatives.

H Rado Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Nicest hostel I've stayed in over ten years of hosteling! Fantastic location for tourists (though there are plenty of locals about), best beds and showers of any hostel I've ever seen, and Andres, David, and Eliana were all so helpful and patient with me! My only bone to pick is that the trash bins are too small. How can you put six girls in a room, tell them they can't flush toilet paper, then give them a tiny little bin that only gets emptied once a day?!

Palenque Hostel

Cordoba, Argentina

This hostel had a lovely family-like feeling to it, a cute dog, and a big selection of DVDs for unwinding at night in the TV room. Big thanks to Mike the hostel employee/photographer for being so friendly and taking a group of us to the Independence Day festivities. Dorms are spacious. Make sure you wake up early or take showers at night so you can use the nice big one with the tub!

Hostel in Salta

Salta, Argentina

Nice staff. I stayed here during winter, but I bet it would be a great place to socialize during summer!

The Hostel-Inn Iguazu Falls

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

I wasn't here long, so can't say much. Staff were helpful. There is a lot of outdoor space, so it would probably be a great place to stay in the summer! I appreciated that the room I stayed in was very warm (it was winter), though the entire bathroom did get wet as a result of anyone taking a shower!

Dolce Vita Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

Mateo (Matias?) a.k.a. `tano and Gianlucca (sorry if I´m mispelling your names) were wonderful. Full of useful information, and Gianlucca was very helpful when I missed my ferry and had to make last-minute arrangements. Bathrooms were spotless, though they could use more hooks near the showers. Don´t sleep in Room 1 if you want a good night´s sleep--the noise comes straight up from the basement downstairs. PS: Go to the Centro for Arte Contemp.--it´s great but not in the last Lonely Planet.

"Andres" (Tano) and Gianluca are pleased for your commentary. Please excuse us for the little noise and hope to see you again in our nice city :-)

Central Backpackers

Oxford, England

Free earplugs upon check-in had me a little worried about how loud it might get into the wee hours, but luckily, I'm a heavy sleeper and didn't have any problem getting to sleep. A decent breakfast and padlocks for lockers were both included in the price. Staff were nice.

Why is there no shower door? the bathrooms just get soaking wet when you have a shower...

Westend City Hostel

Vienna, Austria

...and one of the desk guys is a cutie!!! :-)