Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 54

Athens Backpackers

Athens, Greece

Good: close to metro, Plaka/Acropolis, and airport bus at Syntagma. Free coffee. View from roof bar. Most of staff. Eggs at breakfast, not only bread, good wifi. Not: my room had no lockers, it also didn't have the extra sink that others did, Stairs are spiral without railing so going to 5th floor is tricky with luggage (elevator stops on 4). I was put on 5th floor because it was how I could get lower bunk? I asked when I first reserved and they didn't say they couldn't save one. overall okay

I was here on a night layover from Heathrow. The location was perfect for this. I was impressed with the number of electrical outlets and the light on the bed. I was disappointed that the hostel seems like an afterthought to the bar, rather than the bar feeling like a comfortable part of the hostel. I wished I'd paid more attention to reviews stating that there can be no elevator (was on 4th floor) and that lockers are in basement and cost extra. Lucky my bag was checked through. Served purpose

City Circus Athens

Athens, Greece

My favorite of 3 Athens hostels I've stayed in. Nice common area for meeting people. Very comfortable bed. Well located for transit and foot explorations. Nice breakfast with fruit and yogurt. Clean and functioning facilities. Big lockers. Helpful staff. Amusing decor. The only thing they don't have is an acropolis view. I'm missing Athens now.

RentRooms Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki, Greece

Great: location near bus stops and easy walking to interesting places; wi-fi works even on 2nd floor; ensuite bathroom had multiple toilets/showers/sinks - no waiting; 4 breakfast choices. Staff carried my big bag upstairs for me; a card was left in room so it would be possible to charge something while not in room. Wishes: ; in-room lockers would be nice; not much room in rooms (similar to Spanish hostels); garden cafe would probably be more fun later in year with more international travelers.

Little Big House

Thessaloniki, Greece

The staff is fantastic. The frappes are a welcome treat. The neighborhood is a ways uphill from the center of town, but interesting and has some good food close by. This hostel also seems to attract more friendly and interesting other guests than most I've stayed at recently. I definitely recommend this place, unless you have severe mobility issues. :)

Athenstyle

Athens, Greece

Staff is friendly and helpful. Location is outstanding. Lockers are huge, but you'd have to be tall to use the top ones. Rooftop bar has good view, but the alternate day Busabout orientations up there make the social dynamic weird for anyone not in that group. Even heard complaint about that from someone who was going to be in the next group.

Hostel One Sants

Barcelona, Spain

A cozy, laid-back, friendly place, not a lot of rules. The dinners help to increase interaction between people staying there and make it more fun. Staff folks are nice and happy to be helpful. Location is not near center, but very close to metro, night bus, and train. Lots of grocery stores in neighborhood. Lockers in the rooms now. Elevator, wi-fi & free computers to use. Be aware that staff is NOT 24 hours and they need to update the emergency numbers to be current phones of current staff.

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

San Francisco, USA

Pluses: Wonderful lounge area with many couches. Friendly kitchen/dining common space. Enough bathrooms.Hostel wine/cheese Thurs. Convenient location felt safe. Wifi and many guest use computers, Oatmeal for breakfast! Minus: Steep difficult stairs with no elevator. Dining room cramped obstacle course when occupied.

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

Large place, but well laid out. The bar is noisy when you are in it, but the rooms are quiet. Convenient location. Not area bad for being next to train station. Large dorm room with table and chairs. Would have liked a less noisy, but social, place to have a beer (didn't look like you could take it to chill room, could be wrong). I'd like this place better if I were in my 20s (though people still friendly). Internet is coin-operated. Luggage room warning signs a little intimidating.

Hostel Mostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

It's great inside once you get past the entrance (looks daunting at first). The staff is very nice and helpful and close by if not at desk. The pasta and beer at night is a nice touch. The 6 bed room is really 7 and the ensuite is shower/sink, no toilet, but toilets are close by. Reading lights, good sized lockers. Very convenient location. Large common room (very busy place when I was there). I would definitely stay again / recommend it. Not air-conditioned so prepare to be hot in summer.

Hostel Mostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

It's nice once you get past the entry way (which looks a little daunting at first). The location is convenient. The staff is friendly and eager to help. The pasta & beer is a nice touch. Breakfast is good, but I was wishing for cucumbers. The 6 bed room was really 7, and the ensuite is shower/sink, toilet is elsewhere (but close by). Good sized lockers and reading lights. Large friendly common room. Very busy in August. Not air-conditioned if that matters. Would stay again/recommend.

Hostel One Sants

Barcelona, Spain

Staff is great, friendly and helpful. It is near 2 metro lines and out of the crazy. People staying here are mostly friendly calm sorts. Near loads of supermarkets and some cheap places to eat. Rooms and breakfast are average (spanish hostels all seem to have small rooms). Lockers are in basement, it would be nice to have lockers in the rooms and wifi work in more areas of hostel. Some wait for bathrooms in morning rush time, but plenty otherwise. I would definitely come back if in Barcelona aga

Hostal Vistapark

Santander, Spain

You need to speak some Spanish to stay here. Hard to find at first, but easy thereafter. It is on the one block that is one way the opposite direction from rest of street. Then I had to phone, no one there to let me in. Not a tourist area. Building doesn\'t look good from outside, but inside is nice. My room opened to a ventilation shaft and sometimes smelled bad. When I told Anna she tried to fix. Laundry service nice. If you can\'t find street parking, try the courtyard in center of that block.

Bilbao Akelarre Hostel

Bilbao, Spain

Staff/owners very nice. I thought it was a little far from metro, but that seemed farther because I was injured (someone else said metro is expensive, but it\'s cheap w/ the 5 euro card). Good amount of bathrooms. The 6-bed room was a bit tightly packed and the kitchen a little cramped. Nice to have the kitchen and to have the wifi. Unlike a previous reviewer I loved the decorations :). As usual when there are long term people staying in a hostel, they had a cliquish vibe. Would stay again.

Living Cat's Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Nice courtyard. Staff not obnoxious, but not very welcoming either. Don\'t be 10 min late for breakfast. It\'s sort of institutional, but got some character. 10-bed girls room is sort of a tight fit and only one power outlet. Plenty of bathroom :). Near metro so can get around easily. Close to Puerta Sol. The watch-like keys strange but good. In the bar people mostly stuck to their own group, not very social for lone traveler unless you speak first. Courtyard is best part.

Decent inexpensive place to stay in SF. Glad they honored my request for a bottom bunk as top one is very high. Sturdy wood beds now, with underbed storage you can lock (if you have a lock). Only concern was the distance from parking to hostel since I was walking it alone at midnight. 'Fun' rating is wild a** guess based on posted activities and friendly folks at breakfast. I was attending an event so only at hostel between midnight and about 8-9 am.

Academy Hostel

Florence, Italy

The most welcoming hostel I\'ve stayed in. Too bad I could only stay one night. Well situated. Details like the portable reading light are good. Not sure if the use of the balcony by various young expats not staying there makes it more lively or if they dominate it a bit too much.

Archi Rossi Hostel

Florence, Italy

Professional. Nice to have so many computers. The written on walls made me feel old. You actually pick from several breakfasts. They made me take a top bunk so I couldn\'t sleep well. Like the individual keyed lockers.

Great location, very clean, plenty of showers/toilets. Nice to be able to have them do laundry(7 euro). People staying less friendly than I\'d hoped. No common room. I don\'t understand why they advertise \'Happy Food\' at the restaurant, they don\'t seem to know what that is.

Legends

Rome, Italy

Easy to reach from Termini, somewhat cramped in space, only the kitchen as common room and it\'s really too small. However the pasta dinner (simple, just noodles & wine) is a great idea and way to meet people and somehow about 20 people squeezed in for it. High security rating applies to inside hostel, didn\'t want to go out at night alone so not sure how that is.

Ave Gratia Plena

Salerno, Italy

On arrival didn\'t seem close to train station, but seemed close enough once I got familiar with route. Felt a bit lost in the empty institutional feeling hostel, but the location in the old town is great, and the guy who works there is very helpful. Might be more social place at busier time of year. Great that no bunk beds!

Welcome Inn

Naples, Italy

pleasant, friendly environment in convenient location, would definitely stay there again if in Naples. note that you need 10cent coin to use lift and hostel is on 5th floor. two improvements to consider - some sort of hooks in the bathroom to hang clothes while showering; computer for guest use (though they did let me use theirs).

Elements Hostel

San Francisco, USA

I stayed because I was going to an event at a nightclub directly across the street and didn't want to have to drive home. If I were a visitor to the area I'd stay somewhere else unless it was a group traveling together. The best part about the room is that it had a very large open space in it. A group could hold meetings do some sort of activity in the room. If your bathroom is occupied, you'll have to go to the bathroom on the ground floor shared with the attached night club. There was someone at the desk when I checked in around 8pm, but not at any other time that night or morning. No sign of how to get hold of someone if you needed them. There was just a jar on the desk to put your key in when you left. The only reason I don't put 'poor' for security is that there are drawers under the beds that you can put a lock on (bring your own). They should not claim to serve breakfast. I'd not mind if they said they just have coffee, or said they don't do breakfast at all, but they claim to do continental breakfast. There was coffee and hot and cold water, glasses, but no coffee cups, no milk or cream (empty vessel for it), one last piece of coffee cake only halfway through the allotted breakfast period. Not only was there nothing else, there was absolutely no sign anywhere of any staff to check on the situation or replenish anything and I sat there for over 30 mins with my black coffee (in a glass) and water (because at least I do like coffee and eventually was curious to see if anyone ever would appear). As I finally left someone did appear and I think he was going to refill the long empty milk for coffee pitcher. They warned me when I checked in about loud music from the attached club, but that was not a problem to me, I feel comforted by hearing music so I was actually slightly disappointed that I went to bed so late that it stopped shortly after. People who dislike music and go to bed early should stay somewhere else if it's a weekend. The price is excellent, but that's about all it has going for it.

NewGrange Lodge

Newgrange, Ireland

There's no radio button for rating facilities! I liked that the ensuite dorm has separate toilet room and shower room to minimize need to wait. There are also multiple common room lounge areas which would be good at a busier time (quiet when I was there). Great breakfast for a hostel (plenty varied breads/rolls, cereal, yogurt, cheese, jam, milk, juice, fruit, coffee, tea). Best reached by car, but Bru na Boinne visitor center is right across the street. Ask at desk for them to call ahead, you get some preference in booking tour times. My only complaint is that there was something messed up with the computer so I had problems using LiveJournal, but it was free and worked for everything else I tried.

This is more like a guest house than a hostel. You'll have your own room if traveling alone. Don't expect to see the other guests. It's a clean comfortable place with a very nice staff. All of Gozo is out of the way, but well located for being on Gozo.

Globetrotter Inn London

What impressed me the most favorably about Globetrotter is the staff. They are good-natured and helpful and there are a lot of them. It is a bit far from central London and can seem even more so when the District Line is down for maintenance, though otherwise access is good and the neighborhood was comfortable to be in. It was the most institutional hostel I stayed in and my biggest complaint would be how far away the nearest bathroom was. Also how some rooms marked as bathrooms were always locked and the women's room in the back of the ground floor was unlabelled on the door. I'm clearly a bit older than average, which felt a little more out-of-place here than at other hostels (well I deliberately didn't go to any St Christophers). It seems that most guests are working or looking for work so again as a solo short-term traveler I felt a little out-of-place. The Globetrotter staff really is excellent! This bears repeating. The facilities are reasonable (except previously noted far-flung toilets). The smart card system was a bit annoying, but better than I expected it to be. The problems I had with it were handled wonderfully by the staff. Globetrotter would be excellent for small groups traveling together, people looking for work in London, people who feel a need to get out of central London at night, or for the really outgoing early-20s person. I may stay there if I'm in London again, but its probably second choice. My first choice would be the YHA I stayed at in central London for the casual traveler's chat, proximity to great internet cafe (Globetrotter's systems were a little annoying) and much other stuff (plus discounts on several tourist attractions).