Brooklyn Arthouse Deluxe

New York, USA

I was appointed with the task of finding accommodations in NYC for 6 people, and in that respect the Brooklyn Arthouse Deluxe (apartment) was perfect. The two queen beds fit both couples and the sofa not only converts into a full-size sofa bed, but it has a roll-out twin-size "bed" as well, which was great in my case because two of us were not a couple and didn't want to share a bed. However, the pipes running through the apartment were atrociously loud 70% of the time, which was very annoying.

• 1st Feb 2013

SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu

Beppu Spa City Oita, Japan

We went to Beppu solely for Khaosan's hidden bath tour, and it was the best part of our entire trip. Our tourguides drove us far into the mountains to experience two hot spring locations that our group had to ourselves. Afterwards they took us to a 100 yen sushi place, it was awesome! I only wished we had all gone out for drinks or something, too. On travel sites people complain about how touristy Beppu is, but forget that noise... go stay at Khaosan Beppu, it's great!

We really enjoyed staying with Gojo Annex, it was probably the best "hostel" I've ever been to. The two staffers we met noticed two Japanese band shirts I had and we talked about music for a little bit, which was really cool. The next time I go to Japan, I will make sure to come to Kyoto again and go to karaoke with these guys! Also there is a grocery store around the corner that will help you kick your eating out routine; and Kiyomizudera is only 15 mins away, a must-see attraction.

Village Inn Hostel

New York, USA

This was my first time staying in a hostel in America; I stayed in several when I went to Japan 3 years ago. There are no signs outside though, so at first it just looks like an apartment building. The staff took their time to check us in correctly and be helpful when we got there. It was Thursday too, so they provided like 10 free pizzas, which was very nice; along with cold breakfast in the morning. The rooms are very awesome and all have their own bathrooms, and there are personal lockers!