Reviews: Kaos

Location: Canada, Gender: Male, Age: 45

I'm giving "excellent" to all points except for "Facilities". A MAJOR inconvenience for me was the the kitchen was closed every night until 7 am. Which means that when tours pick you up before 7 am (and most of them do), you have no access to your food in the fridge and have to find an alternate solution for breakfast. I can't think of any other hostel I've been to that shuts down the kitchen during the night. For this only reason, should I return to Wikiki one day, I will not look at HIW.

Eva's Backpackers

Sydney, Australia

Free Wi-Fi, plenty of power points for recharging electronics, nice shelf and light by your bedside, very nice and practical hostel. The location is a little far from downtown Sydney (Circular Quay area), but with the economic realities of the city seem to indicate that a downtown hostel would charge a lot more per night then what I paid in Kings Cross. Public transportation in Sydney excellent, so getting from hostel to downtown not at all a problem

Loved the location just beside Roma Street station, the many electric plugs in the wall for recharging your devices and the bathroom inside the dorm room. If I ever go to Brisbane again I would go back to this hostel.

Hey Jean, Thank you very much for you're lovely comments. We are very happy to hear that you had a great stay. Our location is definitely one of the best aspects of our great hostel. Thank you again for the taking the time out of our busy schedule to let us know what you thought. The Crew at Base Brisbane Uptown :-)

Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers

Mooloolaba, Australia

This seems to be more a hostel for permanent but short-term residing than for visitors. In my room there were two people who had been there 30 days+ and had taken all the space on top of the four wooden lockers as well as the hooks and the floor (and the room isn't that big to begin with). Same thing in the toilet/shower rooms, resident's shampoo and body was was left there on a permanent basis by the local residents. I felt more like I was couch surfing than staying at a hostel.

Backpackers by the Bay

Airlie Beach, Australia

It looks a bit run-down when you first see it, but once there you realise that it's clean and well organised. Best asset of this hostel though is Laura at reception, she goes out of her way to help you.

Travellers Oasis

Cairns, Australia

One of the best hostels I've ever been too: safe for valuables for each dorm resident, towels, free Wi-Fi, plenty of electrical outlets to recharge, laundry facilities, and a very knowledgeable staff member (Helen) who helped me book a very fun day of diving on the barrier reef. The culture that runs on the place is one of respect, and despite alcohol being allowed, the 10 pm curfew is followed allowing those who have early morning activies to get a good night's sleep.

Apple Hostels of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, USA

Great hostel, very good location and great staff, probably the best I've ever visited.. Very clean, very attentive staff, activities scheduled every night, and what else can be said of the location, right in the heart of the old city!!! The only two downsides: Wi-Fi is free but the use of the computers are not. And I'm still wondering how the balance I had to pay according to my Hostel World receipt got a $16.57 increase once I got there...

Salut Jean, First of all, thank you for the kind review and I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay! Regarding the $16.57 difference you wrote about...this is mentioned on the Hostelworld website before you make your reservation as well as the email confirmation that you receive directly from us after you"ve made your reservation: in the United States tax is not included in the price (actually, when I stayed in Vancouver last month it wasn't included there either) and also we're associated with HI and HI imposes a $3 per night daily membership fee if you don't have a yearly membership. I'm sorry if you didn't see this before you made your reservation and that we didn't explain this to you when you checked in. It's definitely not something we try to hide. Bien à vous, Marc Desmarais

Hotel Marcianito

Isla Mujeres, Mexico

I had a clean room with toilet and shower as well as a safe and a fridge. Location is perfect as well. Little difficulties with the staff who seemed to struggle with English. I am perfectly conscious that Mexico's official language is Spanish, but I do think that if someone decides to venture in the tourism industry and try to attract foreigners, they should make an effort to understand their language (which is English for most travelers, regardless of native tongue)

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This seems to be a new hostel, its location is excellent, right in front of a skyrail station (Bukit Bintang) and withing walking distance of the Petronas towers and the KL Tower. There is staff 24/7, which means security is ensured and late arrivals can be accommodated. My only small complaint is that there is not time limit for use of the two computers, which led some guests to believe they could use them as their personal workstations as long as they wished.

Thanks for your constructive review. We hope other guest understand that the computers are for common use and thus will share it. Thanks Pat

Youth Hostel Phuket

Phuket, Thailand

Room, common area and public showers were extremely well-maintained and clean. However I found them inflexible for a late arrival (unless you have a mobile phone with local service), and I had a hard time communicating with them in English. While I am sensitive to the fact that I was visiting a country whose official language is Thai, I also would expect that a hosteling INTERNATIONAL affiliate would be better equipped to receive guests from anywhere in the world.

Capital View

Washington DC, USA

Good hostel, best thing about it is the location, very close to Union station and attractions such as the Capitol, Verizon Center or Pennsylvania Avenue. No worry of losing your keys as all accesses (room and front door) are electronic. There is a no-shoe rule which keeps the place clean. Love the internet computers, which have built-in SD Card slots for easy transfer of pictures.

Toronto, Canada

I go there every time I visit Toronto, except when my stays are only one night (because they don't allow one-nighters). One of my favorite hostels everywhere

Had a great time, would go there again.

Hostel Quetzal

Cancun, Mexico

I already loved staying at Quetzal las year ago and yet they are even better the second time around. Owner Monica has risen the bar for hosting, with new beds in the dorm, organized activities such as free Spanish lessons, and a tasty dinner for $40 MX each night. As usual, you can\'t beat the location, a 5 min walk from Tulum Av and the bus station. This is the first time I give a perfect score and it\'s well deserved. I can\'t imagine any reason why a visitor to Cancun would go elsewhere.

Posada Costa Azul

Chetumal, Mexico

Location is perfect, right in front of the ADO Bus station. The hostel is under construction, but I wonder how well it will do since Chetumal isn\'t that an exciting place to visit. I had a single room for a great rate ($220 MX) which was clean and had cable TV.

Buffalo, USA

This was my third time there, and the first one where the internet is free, good of them to follow the latest trends. Still have to make special arrangements to check in outside the hours of 8-10 am and 5-10:30 pm though, fortunately for me on this trip it wasn\'t an issue.

Canadiana Backpackers Inn

Toronto, Canada

I enjoyed the night I spent there, but I find the hostel a little too big for my taste, I rather the smaller intimate ones. I wouldn\'t be surprised if 50+ people were there that night.

Hi Jean, I'm glad you enjoyed your night here despite finding the hostel a little big. While it is one of the bigger Toronto hostels, taking part in some of our nightly activities or our morning breakfasts is a great way to meet people and make connections. We hope that the fact that we can accommodate a large number of people gives guests an opportunity to make friends and have a more intimate hostel experience. Thanks for your input, Katie from the Canadiana

GO Backpackers Hostel

Edmonton, Canada

This is an ancient hotel that they\'re turning into a hostel, there were full-time renovations going on while I was there. A heavy metal bar sits next door. Charge for the use of the computer is $4/hr and you\'re only allowed to use Internet Explorer. Rooms are small but have lockers. Bathrooms is clean and well-maintained.

Renovations are ongoing and unfortunately the bar in question has all sorts of music, just happened to be really loud heavy metal music during your stay. We have already made some more structural changes to reduce sound travelling.

Rooms are huge and the kitchen is best I\'ve ever seen in a hostel. Make sure you wake up early (before 10 am) to ask for the front door code though as staff is absent from 10h to 17h.

Guest House International

Winnipeg, Canada

I was told on the first night that the front door closes at 23h00 and you had to be back by that time, which meant I had to leave the ball game early on the first night. I was told on the second night there was a code for the front door, so make sure to ask for it

Toronto, Canada

Apart from the fact that the kitchen door did not open a 8 am as indicated, nothing else to say but great hostel

Posada los Mapaches

Tulum, Mexico

I had the best experience in Tulum at this wonderful hostel. The family that runs it was attentive to all guests to the point of driving someone feeling under the weather to the local clinic and translating for her. The breakfast is the highlight of this place, which consists of a fruit entree followed by a hot primary dish that changes every day. The \"common rooms\" are all outdoors with a shelter in case of rain. My favorite area was of course the five hammocks near the North wall.

Buffalo, USA

This is my second time in Buffalo and I\'m extremely grateful that the hostel exists to make the trip there fun and affordable. It is a nice place, clean, and very conveniently located. My tip if you plan to go in the Winter is to bring your warmest sleepwear as they keep the place in the 17 C (64 F) temperature range at night.

Hostel Quetzal

Cancun, Mexico

As soon as I walked in the main door the owner came to help me with my bags. This place has a beautiful garden, a upper deck with a great view, great kitchen facilities, free internet, spacious shower/bathroom and is conveniently located in Cancun Centro a 7 min walk from the bus station. A 5* establishment if there was a rating system for hostels

Downtown Hostel

St. John's, Canada

Thank you Bill for a wonderful experience in St. John's

Toronto, Canada

Still to this day the nicest hostel I ever stayed in. For sure I'll be back next time I visit Toronto

Agent did not have knowledge of my despite my reservation. Did come through in the end however

Loved it. Great atmosphere among travelers, but still very quiet for those wanting to sleep early

Buffalo, USA

Idieally situated. My main objective for this trip was to go to a hockey game a HSBC Center, and the train to get there stops just in front of the hostel. Very secure and clean hostel. My only two (minor) negatives points: no free internet and the shower rooms are not directly connected to the dorms

Toronto, Canada

Appart from the fact that I was sharing a bedroom with 5 other people, this establishment is like a 5 star hotel when it comes to cleaningness. The shower room I had access to was much nicer than back home! Location is also top-notch, a 5 min walk from the CN tower