Location: Ireland, Gender: Male, Age: 32

The rooms are very small, but that's just Tokyo. They have a left luggage room, but it didn't appear to be locked (in fact we placed our luggage there without any supervision from the staff). The risk of theft may be tiny in Japan, but it would still be nice to think that our stuff is secure while we were out and about in the city. The staff are helpful, but were a little sketchy with a map they drew for a local ramen place; we eventually found it on the other side of the street.

Derry City Independent Hostel

Derry, Northern Ireland

The hostel is split between 2 buildings. We stayed in the building on Princes St, which appeared to be a little nicer than the main building. The fact that there wasn't a dedicated desk was a bit confusing when we first arrived (the staff seem to hang-out in one of the rooms), but it wasn't a big deal. The staff are very helpful. The location is very close to the city centre, which means you can walk everywhere. We were able to park on the street nearby without any issues.

The InnCrowd Backpackers Hostel 2

Singapore, Singapore

Reception was open very late, which was a good thing. I wasn't sure why we weren't allowed to bring shoes upstairs; I felt a little unsure about leaving my shoes in a big pile with everyone else's.

Hotel Pio V

Turin, Italy

For the price, it is perfectly acceptable. It is right beside Porta Nuova train station and a couple of good bars and restaurants. The staff are friendly, but consist entirely of a mother and son. The fixtures are old and some should be repaired.

Hotel Pio V

Turin, Italy

Cheap and cheerful, and close the drop-off point of the airport bus. We had a group of 12 people and it worked out fine.

HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel

Ottawa, Canada

The hostel was extremely hot. It was very cold in Ottawa the day we were there, but the hostel definitely over-compensated. The heat made me feel very uncomfortable the next morning when I woke up with a hang-over.

Le Sous-bois

Montreal, Canada

Maybe I didn't do my research well enough, but I didn't realise that the private rooms were cabins which were outside in the courtyard. I certainly didn't bank on having to go outside to get to the toilet in the middle of the night. My cabin had a ridiculously ineffective electric heater (downright irresponsible of the management considering how bloody cold it gets in Montreal - my cabin was cold all night even with the (loud) heater on full). Breakfast was a pretty crap bagel. Free wi-fi internet was good, and location is quite central too, though I had a bit of trouble finding it initially (the reception is at the adjacent hostel which has a different name). The dorm bunks looked like they would be good to stay in but steer clear of the cabins except in summer.

Guesthouse Salzburg

Salzburg, Austria

We arrived on a very late train (but there was no problem checking in at 1am), and we were told that breakfast finished at ten / half-ten (the guy at reception didn't specify which). We went down for breakfast at 9:45 and were told it was over. "Half-ten" in German means 9:30, but even so the guy had said "ten / half-ten" to us in very good English. The girl at the desk in the morning was very unhelpful and even couldn't help us when I asked where we might be able to buy breakfast somewhere else. Aside from that poor experience, the top bunks in the dorm are hard to get into (especially so if you're trying to get into one at 1am in the dark without waking other people), and the hostel is very big which means that the staff can be slightly impersonal and the hostel is generally not as friendly. The showers have nowhere to hang your clothes.

Old Prague Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

Breakfast wasn't very good (only cornflakes and coffee with warm slightly gone-off milk) but otherwise a decent hostel. They have good large lockers which could take a couple of large backpacks. Located right in the centre, so everything is only a walk away.

Citystay Mitte

Berlin, Germany

The showers have no 'dry' area to keep your clothes or get changed, and some of the rooms are a long way from the showers. The lockers are in the basemant, not in or near the rooms, and they don't have enough for all the guests, so arrive and ask for one early. Lots of bars near the S-Bahn station. If you get drunk and/or lost you can always use the TV tower to find your way back!

Shelter City

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Good showers and good breakfast, but it is very big and slightly impersonal. The internet is free if you want to book your next hostel (with a good few terminals), but you have to pay for any other sites. Nice courtyard, but if you want to go to sleep early (10pm-ish) this can still be a little noisy.