Hostel Split

Split, Croatia

This was a very average hostel stay. I chose the hostel for its location, but on arrival I learned our room wasn't located near the office at all, but a 5-minute walk away. When we had trouble with our key, we had to hike back down to the office, too. The room was clean, but drab, no common area, no opportunity to socialize. I've stayed in a LOT of hostels and this one was really overpriced for what we got -- a clean place to sleep and shower. The staff were very pleasant and helpful though.

Als Place Hostel

Split, Croatia

I really enjoyed my stay at Al's and would go back in a minute. The location is excellent, I slept very well, and I was well-treated there. As hostels go, it's a great one for sleeping and getting information about the area. It's not the sort of hostel with lots of common spaces, bars, breakfast rooms, or gathering spaces, but it's a great place to sleep and base for exploring Split.

Riad Baraka

Chefchaouen, Morocco

Beautiful place, terrific location, super clean and a very nice stay. The reviews that say the owners sometimes yell at and berate staff are accurate, that part was terrible. With guests, they are helpful and provide good service, although if you're looking for warm, friendly hosts who want to get to know you, you won't find that here. The rooftop terraces are stunning, beds are warm and soft and cozy, and breakfast is very tasty. The place is immaculately clean and absolutely lovely.

To be fair you emailed me three times with your list of requirements saying you were looking for peace and quiet to write, which you reiterated on arrival! To say i shout at staff(Mohamed) is not fair you were here six days and cant even remember Mohamed's name he be have been staff to you he happens to be my best friend !

Dar Bargach

Tangier, Morocco

I had a lovely stay. Staff were super kind and helpful. Bed was hard! I was cold the first night, but when I asked for an extra blanket I was given a very warm comfy one and after that it was lovely. Lots of hot water, tasty breakfast, beautiful space.

Lisboa Hostal

Algeciras, Spain

I was very happy at Lisboa. I felt safe and well cared for. The staff was wonderful, so helpful and friendly. My room was simple but very comfortable. The location was terrific, easy to access from the train and easy to walk to the ferry.

Room007 Ventura Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Fantastic. We stayed in a private room and just couldn't have had a better experience. Super neighborhood full of ethnic restaurants and close to Plaza Mayor and the Sol transit station. Staff was the friendliest and most helpful I've ever seen. Loved it!

Thank youuuuuu so much for your words!! It is very comforting for us to know you were happy with us. See you next time and be happy! ROOM007 STAFF

Hlemmur Square

Reykjavik, Iceland

Wonderful place, great location, helpful staff. So helpful to have a kitchen (walk 3 blocks to the Bonus for affordable groceries, the shop across the street is overpriced). The hostel spaces are so carefully designed, it's a shame the lighting makes them feel like a prison! But the bed is warm & comfy, with a reading light, outlet, and padlockable drawer for each person and a down comforter, delightful! Sharing the reception area with the hotel means a nicer-than-average public area, too.

We loved our stay at the Posada! We were happy to get out of Puno and enjoy some time in the sweet little town of Chucuito, and getting back and forth was easy. Juan was very good to us and we had everything we needed - warm beds, space heaters, hot showers, tasty breakfasts, and a beautiful property. Our only tiny complaint would be that the pillows weren't very soft.

• 14th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Hotel La Pequeña Casita

Machu Picchu, Peru

The location of this hostel is perfect for an early morning Machu Picchu departure. Roll out of bed, have breakfast, step out the door, and you're in line for the bus. The staff instantly remembered our faces and handed us the right key every time we walked in. They also kept our bags for us while we visited Machu Picchu. This was just perfect.

• 12th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter
  • Mixed Group, 41+

The Secret Garden Cotopaxi

Cotopaxi National Park, Ecuador

My second stay, and this remains one of my favorite hostels in the world. I wasn't feeling well, so I let my fiancee do all the hiking and adventuring while I lounged around enjoying the views, the food, the hammocks, the hot tub - or just curling up on the couch with a book and a dachsund. It's so warm and cozy and friendly around the fireplace in the evenings, and the lit woodstove and candle in your room when you go back at night is a lovely touch. The staff here really spoils you.

Chez Elena Guesthouse

Quito, Ecuador

Staying with Elena and Paco was like staying with relatives. They were warm and friendly, the house was sparkling clean, food was delicious. Orquideas is a sweet little self-contained suburb on a mountainside, with restaurants, shops, and laundry all within walking distance. To get to the Historic District you need to take a bus, but it's 25¢ and less than 10 minutes, and the bus stop is around the corner. A peaceful, pleasant stay (not a party hostel!). You will need to speak some Spanish.

Bogota, Colombia

This was my second stay at Anandamayi. I love the location, very secure and an easy walk to lots of restaurants and museums. The hostel itself has a lovely peaceful quality and the courtyards and rooms are simply beautiful, with a historic feel. The staff are friendly and wonderful (Spanish language only). The wonderful sense of peace and history is offset by the fact that the rooms can be very cold, especially at night, and the showers don't get fully hot.

Bogota, Colombia

This was simply one of the most beautiful, peaceful, serene, secure, lovely hostels I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Lying in a hammock in the courtyard reading, with Buddhist chants playing softly on a loop.. aaah. The neighborhood is quite safe by day (streets are heavily patrolled because of all the gov't buildings in the area), lots of good restaurants and a charming French pastry shop/cafe in easy walking distance. The staff speak only Spanish, but are charming and eager to help.

El Solar Hostel

Villa de Leyva, Colombia

El Solar is a cam-style hostel at the very edge of the beautiful town of Villa De Leyva. It is rugged and rustic, but the views are absolutely glorious and the owner, Marta, is a sheer delight. They had accidentally overbooked for a festival the weekend we were supposed to stay, so Marta put us up in the home of a friend for the same price, but with full privileges to join the hostel for breakfast, coffee, tours, etc. It was a perfect solution and we had a glorious stay.

thank you very much for your comment is always your home in Villa de Leyva

Bogota, Colombia

This is a beautiful hoste, quiet and serenel. Bring your warm jammies, it's very cold at night (though they'll provide you with plenty of warm blankets). The Candelaria district is a wonderful place to stay if you want restaurants, museums, and a charming neighborhood. It's not much of a party zone.

The Secret Garden Cotopaxi

Cotopaxi National Park, Ecuador

What a fantastic place to stay! We couldn't have been happier. Warm, cozy atmosphere, lots of scenery and adventure, plenty of privacy at night. Great food, great staff, great time.

Riad Dar Tamlil

Marrakech, Morocco

Lovely riad in the medina, just steps away from the square. Staff was very helpful and the room was very comfortable. We were treated so well here and had a lovely time.

Hotel Du Commerce

Paris, France

Location & price were fantastic, we were within walking distance of just about everyplace we wanted to go, and having access to a kitchenette saved us a lot of money on meals. But our room was on the 5th floor, no elevator, that hurt a lot. Also, the ceiling over our shower was mildewing and the room had a very musty odor. It was clean, though.

Delightful place to stay. The most peaceful stop on our tour of Europe.

Living Cat's Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Gorgeous, unique funky building. Not a great neighborhood. Lots of fun, though.