Reviews: codyemery

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 30

Ani & Haakien - Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Great hostel, very close to the train station. Rent a bike and go to Kinderdijk!

Bed & Breakfast Garden

Cancun, Mexico

Excellent place. Many guests struggle to find the house without GPS, and taxis usually don't know the tiny residential street, so if you want to get there smoothly print a map or something. The Google maps location is fairly accurate. There is a nice bus from the airport to the ADO bus station for USD $4 / MXN $52 (don't waste money on a taxi), and from there it's a 14 minute walk (or short taxi ride). But like I said, it's on an obscure street, so know where you're going.

This is unlike any "hostel" I have ever stayed at. It's actually a farm (as the name states), but the house is quite large and very nice. Everything is as environmentally green as you can imagine (down to the clean composting toilet), and yet for the most part it just feels like a big, nice house full of hippies (no offense, super nice people!). I only stayed there one night, and the big dorm room didn't have actual beds, just a carpeted yoga floor. I think the smaller rooms had mattresses.

Wonderful hostel in a good location. The rooms were a bit warm (even though it was cold outside), and they said not to open the windows. But it wasn't unbearable. The hostel is huge, and has all the amenities you would expect from HI.

Superb hostel. No reason to stay anywhere else.

Great place, just a converted house overlooking a beautiful lake. Fast WiFi, very friendly staff. Cape Breton Island is fantastic!

Cabot Trail Hostel Cape Breton

Cape Breton Island, Canada

Great hostel, and pretty much your only option on this side of the island (unless you want to pay more for a bed & breakfast). Many awesome things to do in the area like whale watching and hiking. Cape Breton Island is beautiful!

Harz Hostel

Wernigerode, Germany

Great hostel. I had to wait a couple of minutes to be let in (even during check-in hours), but that was alright. Close to the train station, decent kitchen and common area. Overall a good place.

This place is awesome. The friendly staff apologized for the lack of a party atmosphere, but a quiet, clean place was exactly what I was looking for. Everything was super clean and comfortable. Definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed in.

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Cool hostel. The showers were strange: the shower room is for both genders, and you walk into your private shower area and pull on a chain for water to come down on you. Kind of quirky, but then Belgium is a quirky place. Bruges is fantastic, and this is a great hostel to be in if you want to experience Belgium.

Die Wohngemeinschaft

Cologne, Germany

Great place with really cool decor. Huge lockers (at least in my room, I assume they are all that big). I don't think there was a kitchen, but everything else was great.

A&O City Hackerbruecke

Munich, Germany

I was a little skeptical, having read some bad reviews, but this place was actually great. Even during the crowds of Oktoberfest they handled everything really well. The rates have gone WAY up, but since I booked many months in advance I only paid 24 euro for a dorm bed. Not too shabby for this time of year! The room was very clean except for some hair on the bathroom floor, and the staff were great. Maybe they are trying hard to improve their image after such low reviews. Great place!

Ujamaa Hostel

Arusha, Tanzania

Excellent hostel, thank you so much for helping me arrange my Kili climb. Sorry I couldn't stay longer!

Stoked Backpackers

Cape Town, South Africa

This place is wonderful. Practically right on the beach, with a big rooftop hangout area overlooking beautiful Muizenberg beach with all the surfers. I bet this place is packed in the summer, but in the winter it was nice and quiet. The staff were incredible and helped me plan my time in Cape Town. It takes about 50 minutes by train from Cape Town station, but once you're at Muizenberg station you're only 15 seconds from the front door. Super clean, great WiFi, delicious cafe, awesome place.

Jollyboys Backpackers

Livingstone, Zambia

Great hostel, just a block away from the main street and yet a world away once you're inside. Nice pool and plenty of space to hang out, kind of like a backpacker resort. Most people realize that other than the falls itself, Livingstone isn't that great, so they just end up staying in the hostel, which is all the more reason you want a nice hostel like this while you're here. WiFi was working for most of the time, then it went down, but it's Zambia so what can you expect? Overall great place.

A Backpackers Resort - Nice one! We do aim to make our place a bit of an oasis from the business of the Livingstone street - a place to kick back and chill by the pool or in the pillow pit or at the bar!

Backpackers HQ

Sydney, Australia

Great hostel. I stayed here a year ago, and when I came back 12 months later they actually remembered me! Very clean, free WiFi (which is super rare in Aus), overall a great place to be.

Bedbunkers Hostel #1

Kuta, Indonesia

An extremely simple hostel. Hard to find, but not too far from Kuta's center. I was in the 15-bed dorm, which was fine since it was pretty empty. I don't know why they're so proud of their 3-tier bunk beds, it's not that cool. It was pretty clean, but on my last morning when I turned on my lamp I saw a bedbug. I should have known when I saw the little blood smears on the clean sheets. No kitchen or common area, but all I really wanted was a quiet place to sleep, and I got that. Great value.

Our dorms in general don’t have bedbugs. However we don’t deny the fact we have occasionally discovered bedbugs in our dorms. We focus very hard to keep our hostels extremely clean and comfortable at all times. Unfortunately we don’t always have full control over our guest’s origins and their luggage’s. Our housekeeping operates 24/7 and maintains a strict "daily" Inspection & prevention against possible bedbugs bringing us an unsuspecting visit traveling with unsuspecting tourists.

Kayun Hostel

Kuta, Indonesia

Nice pool. Fun, relaxing atmosphere. Decent breakfast. Not the cheapest place, but it was good.

Moni Gallery Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

Nice hostel. I walked past it the first time, but then I found it. Fairly close to the metro station.

West Two London

I don't know how some of these London hostels can be so cheap in such an expensive city. Great value. I actually didn't even sleep there, I had an 8-hour layover, switching from Heathrow to Stansted, and originally I was going to store my bags at a train station, but then I realized it would be cheaper just to rent a room at this hostel and store them there while I was out enjoying the city. Haha. The guests seemed to all be Italians who had been there for quite a while. Fun place.

KEX Hostel

Reykjavik, Iceland

I LOVE Kex. I'm definitely staying there next time I'm in Iceland. Once you get over the eerily dim lighting, it's a great place to relax or chat with friends. Plenty of common space, good kitchen, within walking distance of most sites. My favourite thing about Iceland is the swimming pools, all geothermal. Sundhöll swimming pool is just a few blocks away, and it's good, but Laugardalslaug is bigger and better, and of course Blue Lagoon is the best. City pools are just 550 kr (BL is 10x that).

Jackaroo Hostel Kings Cross

Sydney, Australia

Jackaroo is the best. A bit expensive, but with free WiFi, you're not going to find a much better value in Sydney. Stellar staff, good facilities, and literally right on top of Kings Cross train station, so if it's raining you don't even have to walk outside on your way from the airport to your nice, clean bed (assuming you take the train, which is a bit expensive). I've stayed at several hostels in Sydney, and Jackaroo is definitely the best.

The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers

Wellington, New Zealand

Great hostel. You get like 30 minutes or an hour of free WiFi, and after that you have to pay. Really cool historic building that has been nicely renovated. It's the same building as the hotel by the same name. Domino's is basically next door (great deals on Tuesdays), or if you're looking for a more authentic NZ experience, there are plenty of awesome cafes and restaurants within a short walking distance. Wellington is sweet as. You'll love it.

Tasman Bay Backpackers

Nelson, New Zealand

This hostel is amazing. I don't think I've ever been so sad to check out of a hostel. I was only here for one night due to booking the cheap Nakedbus tickets (excellent value if you book well in advance, but they have limited schedules). Next time I go to the South Island I will stay in Nelson (almost definitely at Tasman Bay Backpackers) for a few nights. Great facilities, warm and friendly people... it doesn't get much better than this.

Rainforest Backpackers

Franz Josef, New Zealand

Why pay $23 to visit Glacier Hot Pools across the street when Rainforest Backpackers has their own jacuzzi? Ok, I'm sure the Glacier Hot Pools are a little nicer, but for budget travelers like me who just want to relax after a long, beautiful mountain hike, this place was perfect. They have great backpacker dinner specials at the restaurant. FJ is tiny, so you can't get lost. Go find the glow worms on a little trail just past the "Our Lady of the Alps" Catholic church on the south end of town.

Absoloot Value Accommodation

Queenstown, New Zealand

This hostel is incredible. It's right on the lake, it's immaculately clean, and the people are great. Super comfortable beds, everything is very nice and clean. I would have stayed for weeks if I could!

Absoloot Value Accommodation

Queenstown, New Zealand

Excellent hostel!!! Don't go anywhere else.

Kiwi Basecamp

Christchurch, New Zealand

Decent hostel. Christchurch itself isn't nearly as exciting as Queenstown or other places on the South Island, but sometimes you have to spend a night there, and this hostel isn't a bad choice. The airport pickup was really nice.

Jackaroo Hostel Kings Cross

Sydney, Australia

Awesome hostel, located literally right at the exit of Kings Cross station and 80m from Coles supermarket. Good free WiFi, clean, not too noisy. I love this place.

Habitat HQ

Melbourne, Australia

Too bad they have to limit WiFi usage to 200 MB/day. Oh well, I guess that's better than having a few people hog all the bandwidth. Still, unlimited would be nice. Very secure, nice facilities. The bathrooms appeared to be cleaned once a day at most, which isn't quite enough for a high usage toilet. But overall a nice hostel; I would stay there again. St. Kilda is a good area, even though it's a bit far from the CBD.

Backpackers HQ

Sydney, Australia

Nice hostel within walking distance of the CBD. The inner courtyard can get crazy loud, and you can hear everything from the rooms, which is annoying. Fortunately they close it at 10pm, but before that you need ear plugs. The WiFi doesn't always reach the upper rooms; some more routers would be nice. WiFi can also be pretty slow, probably because it's free so everyone uses it. Nice kitchen, although an oven would be even better. Still, this is a great hostel with awesome staff.

Mystique Moments

New Delhi, India

Kind of far from the metro. It was hard for me to find, but it is right where it appears when you zoom in on Google Maps. The sign is up on the second level, which is why I didn't see it. You have to walk up some stairs that open to the street, so if you miss the sign you will never find it. Look up! Other than that, the WiFi was pretty good. The 8-bed dorm just has a swamp cooler, which doesn't get very cool, but I think the other rooms have awesome AC. A few more outlets would be nice.

Good B&B, even if the breakfast isn't included in the price! My "Basic Double Bed Private" was clean, although it doesn't have aircon like it says, only a fan. They have rooftop access, which is fun, and the staff is good. When you walk to the Taj East Gate, make sure you stop at Shilpgram, which actually IS the official ticket counter even though it's quite a ways from the actual entrance. Lots of people (like me) think it's a scam and walk all the way to the gate, only to have to turn back.

Great hostel. Since it's not on a main road, it can be hard to find, but my taxi driver knew where it was. Insist on only paying 500 rupees from the airport, even though it's farther than Thamel. The electricity was usually on, and obviously WiFi only works when there is power. The staff was great, and I didn't feel pressured to eat there like some other reviewers stated. I actually walked into Thamel, which I wouldn't suggest unless you have GPS or a good sense of direction (or just ask!).

Cooking House M

Seoul, South Korea

Good hostel with good AC. When you get off the 6002 bus from ICN airport (which is 10k won, not 1k as misquoted on some website I found), at the first stop (Hapjeong), it will let you off in the median of the highway (safe, official bus stop). Cross to the left and turn left again (i.e. back toward the airport for 1 block), immediately passing the gas station mentioned in the hostel's directions. From there, follow the hostel's directions. I got confused, but eventually found my way.

I followed the directions from the metro station. When they say "walk straight a short distance" they mean a few blocks. Just go until you see the overpass they're talking about, and either use it or cross that road at street level, turning left onto Yan'An Road. The hostel was decent, kind of hot in my room. Not many Westerners there, I felt like locals used it a lot, but it's a big hostel and very safe (key card for each room). The WiFi password upstairs is different from the lobby, so ask.

We are Looking forward to your visit again.Best wishes.

Leo Hostel

Beijing, China

Nice, big hostel. On a good touristy (by Beijing standards) street, albeit with potholes (or was it a dirt road, I can't remember). Anyway, pretty close to Tiananmen Square, which is nice. The WiFi is alright, but don't forget that Facebook and other useful sites are blocked in China.

Hello Thank you for your comments. Our street was newly paved for the 2008 Olympics. Perhaps the dirt road you mean is in the 600 year old historic hutong-alley area, just behind the hostel? Facebook etc can usually be opened in our paid internet room. See you next time! Leo Hostel

Kyoto Hana Hostel

Kyoto, Japan

I loved this hostel. The staff was superb, and everything worked just perfectly, as you would expect in Japan. My room smelled a little weird, but I'm not sure if it was just one of the other guys in it or if it's always that way. Good AC, kitchen, showers, everything was just fantastic. Kyoto is a wonderful city to visit, and I will totally stay at this hostel if I get the chance to return.

Ruby Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Good hostel, good WiFi. I had trouble finding it. Once you enter Alley 241 off of Pham Ngu Lao street, take the first SIDE alley on the left, and it kind of turns a couple of times, going behind another hostel. There are a bunch of hostels on Alley 241, and if you ask for directions they might try to get you to stay with them instead. Just keep looking for the side alley, fairly close to Pham Ngu Lao street.

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

I LOVED this hostel. Well, I don't think it should be called a hostel since it only has private rooms, but nevertheless, I loved it. Super nice lobby and rooftop pool, and AC rooms. The WiFi was great, and Phil, the manager, was fantastic. I really appreciated the custom map and all the great info he gave me about how much things should cost. He even booked my bus to HCMC, which was nice because they picked me up at the hotel. This place really made my time in Siem Reap awesome.

Dozy House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Excellent management. The address is a little tricky to find, because if you look at a map you will notice that the "Sinharat" lanes and the "Arak" lanes overlap. My taxi driver wasn't familiar with the streets, but we found it. It's exactly where it is on Google Maps. Overall the hostel was excellent. Nice, clean rooms with AC, and free toast 24h. The Internet connection was inconsistent, but I think it's just the ISP in that area, because my friends in a nice hotel had the same problem.

Decent hostel, in kind of a weird neighborhood. This homeless panhandler tried to tell me a story about the big bell in front of the hostel and how it fell down from the roof where it used to be during a big storm. Then he asked me for money. Kind of a weird neighborhood like that. Crappy beds, nasty bathroom, but other than that it wasn't a terrible stay.

HI - Chicago Hostel

Chicago, USA

Stellar hostel in a killer location. The bathrooms were great for such a big hostel, and the lockers and beds were very good. Excellent breakfast, too.

Music City Hostel

Nashville, USA

I kind of felt like I was staying in a hippie commune in the 60s, with shirtless dudes playing guitars and people just lounging around outside. But it was very secure, with code-locked doors. It's kind of far from downtown, but the neighborhood is safe.

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

Good location just around the block from the bus station. Great breakfast.

The Only Backpacker's Inn

Toronto, Canada

Awesome hostel, and just around the corner from a subway station. Nice patio area, decent but smallish kitchen, and good but small rooms.

What can I say, it's the only hostel in MSP, so it's either this or an expensive hotel or the park. Haha. I was in the 15-bed dorm, which would have sucked if it were full, but there were only 3 or 4 of us, so it was nice. Super quiet, which is what I wanted. The Institute of Arts (free museum with some great pieces) is literally right across the street, as is a big park, so it's a nice neighborhood albeit a little far from downtown. Minneapolis is awesome. Stroll along the mighty Mississippi.

Che Lagarto Hostel Santiago

Santiago, Chile

This hostel REFUSED to give me the correct price as quoted by Hostelworld. They didn't subtract the 10% deposit that is paid through Hostelworld, and even though I showed them the email that specifically subtracts that 10% deposit, they would not let me check in without paying the full 100% price. I argued with them for several minutes to no avail. It's not a large amount of money, but they are NOT abiding by Hostelworld standards like every other hostel I've stayed in over the years.

Casa 579

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This hostel is in a really cool location. It's kind of tricky to get to, but then again so is most of the city. The reason the location is awesome is that you're halfway up the mountain to Corcovado, which you can see from the hostel roof. I even walked to Corcovado in the morning, which is a bit of a trek, but doable. The rooftop view is fantastic, the rooms are good, and everything is well-run. Great hostel.

Your Place Hostel

Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

It's in a quiet, residential neighborhood, which is nice, and not far from McD and Pizza Hut if you're craving American food. The bus stop is decently close, and goes directly to the airport and the falls. Nice, big TV/computer room and a good kitchen. Overall a great hostel.

Unplugged Hostel Suites Centro

Montevideo, Uruguay

I don't know how often they do this, but the guys working the night when I got there were making this incredible meat that was so delicious and shared it with everyone. It seriously made my short stay in Uruguay worth it. Make sure you pay in dollars to get a better rate.

Hostel Suites Obelisco

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This hostel is in a really cool, old building in a great location near the obelisk. The TV room and Internet areas are very nice, and the breakfast was good.

13 Lunas Hostel

Chiloe, Chile

This hostel was incredible. The location is perfect (right in front of you when you get off the bus from Puerto Montt), and it's just up the street from the beautiful bay that you can walk along. The interior of the hostel is so cool with wooden floors/walls/ceilings with an awesome deck overlooking the bay. Everything was super clean, and the staff was really nice (the guy even let me borrow his bike!). I seriously want to go back to Ancud JUST to stay in this hostel, that's how good it was!

El Patagonico

Puerto Natales, Chile

Awesome hostel. Super nice staff, warm beds, overall a great experience.

Shower was a little moldy, but other than that a great hostel with tons of space for eating, chilling, whatever.

Inka Lodge

Lima, Peru

Super clean, good neighborhood. WiFi DOES NOT WORK, so you have to use one of their two computers in the lobby, which are free. I don't know if it was just the travelers that were there at the time, but this place was extremely quiet.

Wi fi is 10 points. Maybe your laptop is not working well. By the time you were here hostel was almost full. Peace and respect are imortant values for our guests here so you will always find Inka Lodge respectfull, peacefull and quiet.

Superb hostel, amazing staff. Lots of things to do, and a fun atmosphere to meet people. Right by the coast in Lima's best neighborhood. Tip: if you're adventurous and tight on money, skip the $17 taxi from the airport and just walk out to the main road to take a crowded "S" bus to Miraflores for 2 soles. This only works if you have a good map, speak Spanish, can hold your backpack on lap, and don't mind squeezing into a van with locals. Get off at Miraflores Oval (east end of Jose Pardo).

Camping Jungfrau Holiday Park

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

It's a bit of a walk from the train station, but it is probably as close as you can get to the big waterfall, which is nice. I reserved a bed in the 4-bed dorm but was put in my own private 2-bed room, which was very nice. Staff was amazing. This place is fantastic. Definitely worth the CHF 7 train up from Interlaken.

Happy Inn Lodge

Interlaken, Switzerland

It's really close to the West train station, has a great bar/restaurant downstairs, quiet rooms, FREE WIFI in the rooms, outstanding staff, and overall just an amazing hostel.

Alberg Gaudi

Barcelona, Spain

Gaudi Hostel is right at the Urquinaona stop, so getting anywhere is easy. Nice to have separate kitchen, dining room, and lounge. I couldn't find an outlet in the entire 12-bed dorm, but I was able to charge my phone in the bathroom.

For some reason, it was a little hard for me to find, but really you just enter the Green Man Pub on Bell and Edgware. Great rooms, excellent service, overall a great hostel.