Location: Netherlands, Gender: Male, Age: 32

Cosmopolit Hotel

Athens, Greece

10 minutes walking from the train station, in a major shopping area. People are saying it's unsafe? Guess what... 50 meters down the road there is a POLICE STATION, whenever I walked back to the hotel I always saw a lot of blue police uniforms, it's just that the whole of Athens is "sketchy". Now on to the review... as can be expected of a hotel it's clean and a bit austere, it does lack a bit of atmosphere, but one can sleep peacefully at least. I did like the balcony, it needs plants on it.

• 28th Jun 2015

Crossroads

Thessaloniki, Greece

Located in the old town, in an elevated part of Thessaloníki. It's a nice and quiet location but not the easiest to get to, I'd suggest sticking to the suggestions in the "directions" taking the bus when you first get there. Staff is really helpful and will sit down with you to cater to your every need. The room itself is a bit cramped, the kitchen is nice and there is a spacious bathroom with plenty of lighting and a big mirror to satisfy the more vain among us.

• 26th Jun 2015

Das Hostel Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

Don't book here after 23:00 because you'll risk standing in front of an empty door as almost happened to me, I arrived there around 23:00 when they were closing down. No 24 hour reception here! It's very close to the central station, which was the main reason I booked it, however, the place lacked atmosphere, I didn't like that toilets and shower were ensuite _ not separated from the rooms. Everything was too cramped including the kitchen which was way too small.

• 21st Jun 2015

Home Made Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

A peaceful place on the borders of the party district ( district 7), pretty good place to be if you want to go clubbing and find a bed afterwards. No bunk beds, clean shower and decent kitchen too. The wifi, however was down for 24 hours during my stay and the attending staff didn't really seem to think it was important to fix it so I had to go outside every time to check my whatsapp messages etc., other than that it was a comfortable stay.

• 19th Jun 2015

Minoo House

Budapest, Hungary

Centrally located and helpful staff, I like that there were no bunk beds and on top of that it was nice and spacious. I also enjoyed the quirkiness incorporated into the interior, not like your regular industrial IKEA sleeping farm. The showers and sink were a bit hard to use, but still very manageable. The kitchen on itself is worth the stay alone, it's to die for, and probably the best kitchen I have had privilege of using inside a hostel..! Kitchen-lovers, check it out to see what I mean.

• 17th Jun 2015

Sir Toby's Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

It is a bit outside of the center of activity but it was really cheap, it was a surprise to see 3-level bunk beds.. I imagine that if you have some kind of leg injury it's not safe to stay on top because it is a bit like climbing a mountain getting up, and down... But I slept pretty well surprisingly. Didn't like that the kitchen was next to a noisy music bar crawling with Americans, mostly. I did like the garden outside.

• 15th Jun 2015

Patchwork Design Hostel

Warsaw, Poland

Close to central the station in a bustling area, has a pretty decent kitchens (1 kitchen per floor!). Has good common rooms for meeting people but you can always return to the privacy of your room. Happy and accommodating staff make this a really wonderful place to stay.

• 10th Jun 2015

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt

Frankfurt, Germany

Personally I thought the neighbourhood wasn't as bad as advertised... Close to central station and all the conveniences of a hostel available. I thought the hostel was okay overall, but not remarkable, not for the price. The provided breakfast is of much higher standard than other hostels who will provide you with cheap substandard junkfood, note that you have to pay extra for breakfast if you stay >3 days. The beds squeak a lot where I stayed, but I would stay again, it's a decent place.

• 3rd May 2015

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

I found it to be too much of a party hostel. There was a lot of noise from inside the hostel that kept me awake at night. The decor is nice and it's clean. But I would not go there again despite its high rating

• 5th Feb 2015

Astor Victoria

Excellent location on walking distance of Victoria station, in a pleasant neighbourhood. I stayed here before, but this time I stayed on the 4th floor where there is no WiFi, that was the only significant thing that let me down. A minor annoyance was that you cannot even wash your hands in the toilets, because the sinks are too small for even your hands... Kitchen area is really nice though, and staffed by decent people, good hostel.

• 13th Sep 2014

Russell Scott Hostels

Sheffield, England

Nice spacious hostel, a real breath of fresh air coming from all these cramped hostels in London, to finally have some breathing space, no bunk beds, nice spacious kitchen, big hallways... The location is a bit on the outskirts, but easy to reach by public transport. Big supermarket nearby and a tram + bus to the center. Would stay again if I ever visited Sheffield.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Astor Victoria

I had a pretty hard time coming up with something I could fault this hostel for, but here's a few minor points: toilets and showers could be a bit cleaner but then again that is also partially to blame on the attending guests of course... Other point for improvement are the WiFi which signal can be a bit weak. Over-all I had a great time. Breakfast is much better than other hostels. The location is superb. Security was also in order.

• 29th Mar 2014

London Eye Hostel

Half an hour walking distance from Victoria. Kitchen lacked many basic utensils, I was averse using the kitchen due to hygiene concerns. Cleanliness is not this hostels forte, showers and toilets are places I wanted to get out of quickly. Lack of securely storing luggage was a major concern. There is a tiny locker downstairs which you have to pay for (in other hostels this is usually free). I booked a 12 bed dorm and was surprised to find out I had to sleep in a skyscraper 3 bunk bed.

• 28th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hi, Thanks for your review. Kitchen utensils are available from reception. We keep them there at reception as we found that if left in the kitchen guests did not wash up after using them. We have cleaners every day, We check the toilets and showers every hour during the day and night however sometimes guests leave the toilets and showers dirty, we do our best. We have 2 large securely locked luggage rooms where you can store your luggage for free while staying with us. Thanks again

MEININGER London Hyde Park

Booked this hostel in a hurry mainly going on the high rating + location... I wish I done my homework a bit better as there is NO KITCHEN and there is no hostel atmosphere at all. Very clinical, more like a hotel, although with lots of screaming little kids, it's more like staying at a kindergarten. The rooms are cramped. This place has security issues; no locker for suitcases. It's not a hostel after all. It's a Meiniger. A word charged with negative associations as far as I am concerned.

• 27th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter

Dear, thanks for your feedback. You ate right - unfortunately we cannot offer our guest's a guest kitchen - but you can use a microwave in the breakfast room all day. During the week we have a lot of school and colleague groups here - on weekend you can also meet a lot of individual travellers and backpackers. Too bad, that MEININGER evoke now any negative associations - we hope you give us a second chance and come back another time! Kind regards, Your MEININGER Team London

Astor Museum Inn

At crawling distance to the British museum in a nice area of London - good vibe in the hostel. Decent kitchen and beds. Attentive staff. One thing I didn't like was the smoking area they had next to the kitchen, thought that was a bit unsavoury. Good marks over-all.

• 26th Mar 2014

The Royal Bayswater Hostel

Spacious hostel in a central London, got most of the backpacking essentials: proper kitchen, large eating room. It's not a youth hostel, I was surprised to see some children, families and elderly people. The atmosphere was okay. WiFi was not free, which is a big let down I think. They have a number of desktop computers going for 2 pounds for 90 minutes I think it was. Staff consists largely of Eastern Europeans, some barely speak English and don't seem too concerned with hospitality...

• 28th Oct 2013

Smart Camden Hostel

The place itself is very cramped, it's a bit like living on a submarine, I was barely able to get my suitcase through the hallway. The kitchen surprisingly was quite spacious and the living room next to it was too. I am 188 cm (6"2) and barely able to fit in the bed, the dorms have very little space between the beds and only 1 person at a time can open his suitcase. Wifi was not the best, but able to get a signal most of the time. WiFi is free. You do pay £1,50 a day for storing a suitcase.

• 27th Oct 2013

Blue Skies Hostel

Quite a nice hostel just outside of the Tulse Hill railway station, but not very central in London, in a somewhat dodgy neighbourhood I have to say. I did enjoy my stay nonetheless, the place has a nice kitchen, good-working WiFi. Lockers in the dorms. There is a pub downstairs it has a good atmosphere, positive vibes in this place.

• 26th Oct 2013

The Dictionary, Shoreditch

I stayed here a year ago and gave the place high marks. I was excited to return hearing the renovation now had a kitchen. The kitchen is nice, but.. I wonder what the genius behind this renovation was thinking making a LOUD smoking & drinking area right next to a 16 bed dorm?!! A prison cell filled so small I had no space to open my suitcase, that shower is a joke, it's not proper ventilated either. This is now a place where teenagers go to get wasted. I won't book here again.

• 22nd Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Spacious hostel a bit outside the center of activity. Proper kitchen, free WiFi, free use of 3 (really poor) desktop computers.

• 21st Oct 2013

Hatters at Hilton Chambers

Manchester, England

For people with GPS: there are 2 Hilton Streets, make sure you get the RIGHT ONE. I got the other Hilton street and walked about 4km to the other side of town. On to the actual review... It's a decent hostel, centrally located. WiFi was free in the kitchen and living room area, for WiFi in the dorms you have to pay. Using one of the 3 desktop computers they have, you pay £2 an hour.

• 17th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Dayum street names. You do have to pay for wi-fi in the rooms but our communal areas are open 24/7 for late-night surfing :)

Bunkhouse

Cardiff, Wales

Really central location, less than a 5 minutes walk from central station in one of the main shopping streets. The place has an interesting interior. Beds were okay. It's clean and just a generally friendly place with interesting extra such as a little cinema downstairs where the kitchen' is also located. The kitchen is really the only let down as there is no furnace to cook or even decent cutlery to prepare vegetables etc. But there is a microwave and facilities for making tea & coffee.

• 8th Oct 2012

Dover Castle Hostel and Bar

It's just barely in zone 1, which saves on the tube. Didn't really think the place had much atmosphere it all felt very cramped and although it was clean it was a little too noisy for my tastes. It's a party hostel with decent facilities and although it was relatively cheap I won't be staying here again.

• 6th Oct 2012

The Dictionary, Shoreditch

Decent hostel, the only thing I missed was a kitchen. However you can borrow bowls and cutlery at the bar to make breakfast. And they serve free tea in the morning. There is a lot of nightlife in the area, like next door there is a club, and several others in the immediate surrounding, had no issues with noise from downstairs but I usually didn't sleep before 2.

• 4th Oct 2012

Wang Fat Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

As long as you DO NOT use the kitchen I gues this place is alright, but if you do, reserve yourself some fighting time. Fiirst you go into a long discussion with the owner to get a pan first, because they expect you to bring it for yourself ( probably never wore a backpack). Then you have to take your ingredients floors up/down depending on where you stay and ASK for the key, hospitatily? They never heard of it. Also some people with bookings from hostelworld get refused here due to bad management.