The Fort Boutique Hostel

York, England

This place is professionally run and you receive first rate service right in the very heart of York. The smart downstairs bar below is ideal for a night cap or a hearty breakfast the next day. We stayed in double room around the corner, everything is spotless and well designed, the noise factor isn't an issue I think. Location superb. I highly recommend this place, forget hostels being bed-bug ridden hell holes, this place is far from that!

• 29th Mar 2013

Black Sheep Hostel

Cologne, Germany

The place is abit of dump, our plane was late and we were 20mins late arriving at the hostel from our original specified time. Reception had closed and no one would answer the door or telephone calls. After 30mins in the cold we managed to get in by chance and receieved no apollogies by the staff! Despite that the place is ok to crash in, the rooms are themed with bizarre themes, 'circus' room anyone? a few shower heads were broken in the bathroom, place is a little scruffy, much better elsewher

• 14th Dec 2012

Caspian Hostel

Baku, Azerbaijan

This represents very good value for money. Location is unbeatable, the staff are friendly and the small homely feel to the place means you can meet other travellers easily and doesn't feel too institutional. Consdiering the next budget option in Baku is triple the price this really is the best place to stay for backpackers.

• 6th Oct 2012

Charlie Rockets

Bruges, Belgium

Was only here for 1 night. The standout feature of this hostel is it's adjoining american themed pool hall/bar that does a decent job of providing some relief from the cultural aspects of brugges (if you're jaded by all that?) and gets quite lively. If you're looking for something more traditional and intimate then avoid the bar and this place altogether! the staff are friendly and informative and not too pushy. The place suffers from being unclean, got ravaged by some bed bugs! Overall ok

I simply used this as a place to crash in London for the night, I picked one of those dreaded 25 bed dorms but they were actually ok as the beds were all compartmentalised and tucked away in nook and crannys giving privacy and minimising noise and light distrubances. The location isn't in a really nice area of London and if you're a foreign vistor it's abit of trek to sights of interest and I would therefore stay elsewhere. The friendly staff and adjoing pub are also pros, not a bad place.

• 7th Jul 2012

Funky Fes

Fez, Morocco

I definitely recommend this place to fellow backpackers, besides the location being a little far from sights of interest it really represents good value and if you're looking for that cheap riad experience you'll just about get that here. Staff very helpful with everything, the in-house meals are quite good, the character of it is very riad like and for what you pay it's a great experience. Also unlike alot of places in Morocco you'll meet fellow backpackers here, highly recommended!

• 20th May 2012

Ostello Bello

Milan, Italy

Was quite satisfied with this place. The ensuite bathrooms are nice (read: proper showerheads)and the downstairs bar is quite popular place for the locals to chill, although if you're looking for an early night and you're room overlooks the street you may be in trouble with all the noise. Location wise the hostel will stretch your legs a little from the Duomo Metro stop, but overall this place is fine.

• 6th May 2012

Ostello San Frediano

Lucca, Italy

Nothing to fault here with this gargantuan place. The place seems to have abit of history and feels a little less institutional then other YHA places. In terms of location and price you can't really go wrong. Though the layout is very big it can feel a little souless and perhaps lonely. Depends what you're looking for.

• 5th May 2012
  • Globetrotter

Dear Jason, thanks for your kindly review, your words pay off our hard work and engagement in the years. We wish to welcome you again, maybe in another period such as Summer Time or in September, and we are sure, you will be pleasantly surprised about the atmosphere!

City Backpackers Singapore

Singapore, Singapore

Papa Germano

Rome, Italy

A very polished, clean well run establishment I was well impressed! We had the double room and it certainly resembled a very good mid-range hotel, everything was clean and well-appointed. Staff were proffesional, knowledgeable and friendly. It's not too far from the termini station and the security was very good. I would stay again for sure.

Niriis Hotel

Chania, Greece

I was very impressed with this place, for what you pay the standard of accommodation and service is high. Georgie boy will literally go out of his way to make your trip to crete a memorable one. The location should not be a deterrent as cheap buses (1.50) are timely and frequent and it only take 10mins to reach the centre. I highly recommend this place, thanks George!

Mediterranean Youth Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Location isn't too bad found everything of interest within walking distance. Cleanliness could be better, bathrooms could do with a makover and staff were mixed, but otherwise this place served it's purpose in a above average manner. Nothing to lose.

Bath YMCA

Bath, England

Good location, the £2.50 fry-up breakfast is a real treat, everything played safely here, can't go wrong.

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward so seeing you again at the YMCA if you visit Bath. Regards Bath YMCA

Apple Hostel Italy

St Petersburg, Russia

St Petersburg is cool but this Hostel really enhances the experience so much more. It starts with the comfy and clean beds, internet in each room, relaxed common area, awesome showers with radio, central location, but it's the hosts that make this place shine. The wonderful, friendly (and beautiful) Irina does anything she can to make your time there memorable. Big credit to the other hosts as well, the lovely babushka, 'poker king' and others that assit you with anything. One word: WOW!

Hostel Possonium

Bratislava, Slovakia

Only stayed here for a quick night in transit, it's location is unbeatable being right next to the train station. Would have liked to have stayed longer it seems like a cool place, and the fun staff there have time for you. Would stay again if back in the area

Yes, our connection to the train station, bus station and the airport is the best in the city! It would be a pleasure for us to have you here again...

Nothing dodgey going on here. The coolest thing about the place is a bar right under your room, serving 24hrs! The night I did crash early I didn\'t find the noise to be that bad at all. Location is good with edgeware rd 5mins away as well as padington.

L Hostels

New York, USA

The biggest downer of this place is the staff. Not friendly or helpful at all. Found them generally rude and quite pushy and just the general way they handle bookings and allocate beds is poorly organised. One big plus was the cleanliness of the place and the cool decor and layout, nice modern touches. Would I stay here again? no..

Latham Hotel

New York, USA

Not a bad place at all. They stored some stuff of mine for a few months while I went backpacking, very grateful for that. The staff were mixed. Location is quite resonable, i\'d stay here again if I had to.

Smart Russell Square

I find it difficult to say many good things about this place, except that they held onto my stuff for 2 months while I was backpacking around Europe. Location can\'t be faulted, just the general souless interior and the drones behind the counter. Would not stay here again.

Lub d Bangkok Silom

Bangkok, Thailand

No faults here! the place has character and is efficient and clean. Facilities are ample and the staff very helpful. Also the free luggage storage after you check out is a plus. Highly recommend.

YHA Tunis Auberge Medina

Tunis, Tunisia

My ferry was late so I didn\'t arrive until 3am. It was a huge relief to find the owner waiting to let me in which was a big plus. The interior of the hostel has a wonderful courtyard with great atmosphere and the nighttime dinners provided are superb which add to the overall appeal of the place. The only downers are cold showers (despite the \'hot\' water being turned on when asked) and the blankets which are abit rough. Great place overall to stay in while in Tunis.

A Casa di Amici

Palermo, Italy

Good place to bunk down for a few days, the awesome girl (no name) was wacky, friendly and extremely helpful! Breakfast was good and the duvets nice and warm. I would highly recommend.

A top notch hostel that combines helpful and knowledgeable staff with clean and well appointed facilities. The free net is a huge plus and the breakfast is great, and the outdoor deckchairs are awesome to chill on a summers evening and meet other backpackers, great place!

Flamingo Hostel

Krakow, Poland

The hostel made a mistake with my booking making it 1 night for 3 people rather han 3 nights for 1 person. They did however make an effort to rectify the problem by booking a dorm bed in a nearby hostel and providing me the apartment the next night at no extra cost. Everything was above average here, espically the bathrooms which are ace and the location is unbeatable. It\'s also the little things I was impressed with like power sockets for every bed and little bedside benches. Cool place!

Bob's Youth Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Cool place the chill out lounge is where it\'s all at. Bathrooms aren\'t much but the hip staff and cheap beer make up for the rough edges, nothing to lose here.

Al Sharq Hotel

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Outstanding. This place surpassed my expectations as a one night stopover joint. I received the warmest of welcomes from the very helpful staff. The room was so nice, a flatscreen TV, crisp white sheets and the nicest duvet i've slept in for a while, and the bathrooms were exceptionally clean. Also management allowed me to store my suitcase there 3 weeks prior to departure, at no extra cost. This place was exceptional value for money and I can highly recommend this place.

Ryokan Meiryu

Nagoya, Japan

An excellent choice to stay while in Nagoya. The guy at the front counter (sorry didn't get the name) was very friendly and helpful in assisting me with my activities I had planned in Nagoya. The rooms are small and well looked after, the bath is excellent! Very easy to reach from the metro. Also make sure you try the breakfast, very nice! Would stay here again.

Huttons Hotel

Decent enough hotel located ideally near Victoria. Brekfast in the morning is filling and the staff are generally a friendly and helpful bunch. The rooms were that small you'd struggle to swing a cat around but the place served it's purpose as a place to rest the head for several days. You have nothing to lose here.

B&B Firenze 32

Naples, Italy

Ideally situated near the train station, comofrtable clean beds, hot water and FREE INTERNET make this place a worthwhile place to crash your head for a day or 2. My mother and I used the place as a base to exploring regions surrounding naples, and the the hotel was an ideal place to return in the evenings and crash. Not such a bad place would stay there again.

Hostel Des Artistes

Rome, Italy

I was quite happy with this place, my mother came with me and stayed in the hotel on the 5th floor, her double room was very well presented and very clean. As can be said about the dorm rooms I stayed in. Security was impresssive at this place, so was the location, and there was plenty hot water any time of day!! Staff were also very friendly and bent over backwards to help you. Hard to find a fault in this place, worth checking out.

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

I met the owner whıle travellıng around Macedonıa and thought i'd check thıs place out whıle ın Istanbul, ı'm certaınly glad I dıd. It was the lıttle thıngs ın thıs hostel that makes ıt an excellent choıce to stay: lıghts for each bed as well as curtaıns that go rıght around the bunks, Plenty of hotwater and the staff were frıendly, courteous and, most ımportantly, helpful. The rooftop bar was also a faırly cool place wıth cushıons to chıll on. Only drawback to the place....very slow ınternet.

Yes- you were right about the internet being slow and we are sorry about that. We had a problem with the switcher and wire, but have sorted it out and now the internet is much faster. Please be patient - sometimes we can have technical problems!

Francesco's

Ios, Greece

This hostel certain;ly lives up to it's reputation! Everynight guests are given a free 'welcome' shot and partying is the priority here! The rooftop patio gives some of the best sunset views i've seen in all of the islands. The dorm rooms aren't too cramped and are reasonably well maintained. What impressed me the most was the staff, most notably Francesco's wife, who assisted all of us with finding new ferries because of poor weather cancelling them days in a row. She monitored the situation closely and informed us when needed. The only thing that really bugged me was they expect you to drink at Francesco's hostel bar until midnight, then be sent to his other bar in the town. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Youth Hostel Anna

Santorini, Greece

Not a bad hostel, located close to the beaches and a tonne of bars, although it's a loooooong way from the place to view the gorgeous sunsets of Santorini - takes nearly 2 hoours!! The downstairs bathrooms are a real dump, the staff are helpful but not necassarily friendly. The spacious lockers were excellent. For what your paying for it's not too bad.

SunnyLakeHostel

Ohrid, Macedonia

An excellent place to stay at Lake Ohrid. The location is supreme, 1 min walk to the old town and many bars, and the balcony overlooks red-tiled rooftops and the lake, awesome view! The guy who runs it (Sampo) is an outstanding host - very friendly, good-natured and honest. One thing that I really loved was the beds, some of the best i've slept in in all my journeys!! This Hostel is still in it's early stages, but the owner know's well what backapcker's require. This place promises to be an exceptional hostel very soon! I wouldn't think of staying anywhere in Lake Ohrid and I can't wait to come back again, maybe the spa and Karoke machine will be installed by then :) Sunny lake is the place!

Dubrovnik Backpackers Club

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Ok here is the deal with this hostel. Guests are picked up from the bus station by one of the sons and treated to a free beer upon arrival, you are introduced to the lovely kind-hearted mama while the son explains some of the tours the hostel runs. At this point it seems like the hostel is as good as the reviews on here would suggest, however, several of us newcomers said we were interested in doing one of the tours conducted by the hostel, anyway the son took this as 'confirmation' and booked us in. We decided not to do the tour cause it's overpriced, but the son insisted that we had to do it as we supposedly gave our 'word' and that this had never happened before. Bascially we were treated like complete outsiders the whole time we were there and he spoke to some of my friends in a very rude and child-like manner. This bitter resentment was further compounded by the sleeping arrangements. We were stuck in the 'basement' which clearly is still in renovation stages. The rooms and ensuite bathrooms had no windows making it quite unpleasent, thankfully the nights were cool otherwise it would've been torture. The hostel was overbooked so 1 night I was forced to sleep on a matress out in the hallway, while my friend was forced to another hostel, totally unacceptable. Location is far but a regular bus meant it was ok. Our room also had gym equipment which was a nice touch. Internet is free along with laundry and mamas delish cooking. I met some really cool people here and have fond memories, but have been left with a very bitter after-taste due to one very rude son. The rooms are WAY OVERPRICED and you can get a much better deal near the old town. If you choose to stay here, avoid the hostel-run tours, you can do them for half the price.

Doubly is the only word if it is known that this guest extended his stay.

Hostel Majdas (former Majdas Rooms)

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Majda was very helpful by picking me up from the bus station, she treated me to a coffee while there. Madja and her daughter are kind-hearted and friendly, mama is the best though she truly makes you feel welcome. A group of us went out for a big one on the town and getting back into the hostel at 3am was no problem. Some reviewers on here have said negative things about the location of the hostel, don't be put of by the soviet style grit, it certianly adds character! I unfortunately couldn't do the day tour to the waterfalls cause there wasn't enough of us (minimum of 6 needed). This place is quite good, I wouldn't say exceptional, but definately an oasis for those who've been travelling long and hard and want somewhere to rest those weary legs for a while and be felt at home. Can't go wrong here.

Not a bad hostel, theres a helpful reception desk brimming with info that will ensure you plenty to do during your stay in Salzburg. The meals are edible and beer is cheap, and the seating area is cosy and small, making it easy to meet other travellers. Bathrooms are OK, hotwater was plentiful during my stay (night and day). The major let down is the rooms; thin blankets mean you'll freeze in winter, and unless your Mr. Gadget and use your 'Go-Go gadget long legs' then you may struggle getting onto the top beds (no ladders)..also the pillows are VERY THIN making restless nights inevitable. The keycard-activated lockers in the rooms is the only redeeming feature. Location is good, 5-10min walk to train station, 15min walk into old Slazburg. Try it and find out for yourself!

The Linen House Hostel

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Would have to be one of the cheapest hostels i've come across. Staff there weren't all that friendly, but helpful none-the-less. Location wasn't too bad either, you're about a 10min walk away froms pubs and cafes etc. The place felt a little souless and had no charm about it.