HI - Chicago

Chicago, USA

This was my second time staying here. It is expensive but location is excellent. Like last time there was a fire alarm in the middle of one night. Annoying. Also like last time I had A/C probs. It is controlled hy one rom and if you are not in that room - tough. This time it eorked but was not cool enough. I asked them to make it cooler. Desk staff said they would ask maintaintance to change it. Two days later, my last night, it got warmer. Sleepless night. Other than a/c it is good.

• 28th Jun 2014

HI - Chicago

Chicago, USA

I liked the way the rooms were set up in an apartment style, more homely than hostels usually are. Plus the location was excellent. Annoyingly the fire alarm went off a few times - maybe some staff should be around cooking areas. Also staff had casual approach to some problems such as air conditioning/wifi not working. A/C eventually sorted when we took it in turns to complain - we eventually found the one who called the mechanic in.

40 Berkeley Hostel

Boston, USA

This was my second time at the Berkeley, the first being last Spring. Autumn to Spring I would recommend it but not summer. The lack of air conditioning meant very uncomfortable, sleepless nights.

Hostal San Lorenzo

Seville, Spain

I had a one night stay. It was easy to get to - a 7 or 8 mins walk from where the airport bus stopped. The guy at the desk had as much English as I do Spanish but was very good at mime so we communicated pretty well. The room was clean, the ensuite was very small (ie-I think it started life as an alcove) but did the job and was also clean. Only problem with the place was that there was no kitchen/kettle facilities. More than 1 night that would be a problem.

• 30th Mar 2013

It was a good hostel with a friendly, helpful staff. The only problem was it did not have air conditioning - my room was like a sauna,very sickening. My friend's room on the the other side of the building was ok. In the absence of a/c they really should invest in blackout blinds or some other way to deflect the sun shining in and overheating rooms. The room was also very small - it had a bed and fridge and barely enough space to put feet, let alone a bag down.

• 12th Jul 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Hostel World! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt welcomed by our staff. We don't have air conditioning in our building, as being on the West Coast of Canada the temperature rarely rises above 22c, and then only in July and August. Not having air conditioning also allows us to keep our prices far below that of other hotels in Victoria (most of which also don't have air conditioning). We do have fans available in each room as well as additional fans available from the Front Desk in the event of hotter days. Most rooms do have black-out rolling blinds and we will be expanding these to our other rooms in the next few months, but we appreciate the input. In regards to the room size, we do have some rooms that are indeed on the smaller side and are catered more towards the solo budget traveler who is just looking for the least expensive room to stay in while the explore the city. We do have many other types of private rooms available for upgrade that have a fair bit more space - some of them with their own ensuite bathroom and some with closets and extra storage space. We welcome our guests to visit the front desk any time during their stay should they wish to change rooms or have any issues that we can help with! Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon!

YWCA Hotel

Vancouver, Canada

This was a great place to stay - location is excellent, it has air conditioning, a sink in the bedroom, pay by use computers in the front hall and, if you want, you get your own box of cutlery and dishes to use. As you will have to pay if you lose/break them people tend to clean up after themselves leaving the kitchen clean and tidy. Security is good and staff are very helpful. I'd recommend/have recommended already staying here.

40 Berkeley Hostel

Boston, USA

It was strange staying in a place where some people were on holiday and others, msinly elderly women, were obviously living there but it was an excellent hostel. Breakfast was big, had dinner once ($10) also VG and hostel supplied reduced price tickets to many attractions. Each room had a ceiling fan, great at Easter but with no air conditioning could be a problem in summer. Hostel was spotless and staff were very helpful. Also 6 min walk from 2 different T stations/lines. Excellent location.

Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First

Edinburgh, Scotland

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent. I would recommend this accommodation to friends and I would stay there again myself.