Reviews: alexisn

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 31

YHA Liverpool

Liverpool, England

Pretty grim. The dorm stank and was so over-heated that I was sweating all night and struggled to sleep. Dirty bathroom with a moldy shower curtain and hairs & grime around the bath & washbasin. Dents in the bathroom door, apparently from someone trying to kick it in. Check-in took half an hour and our key fobs couldn't be activated. My friend was allocated a dorm that was full, as she found out when someone came back to find her in their bed (the only empty one when we arrived) at 5am.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

A really nice hostel with some of the friendliest staff I've come across. I wasn't expecting much from the free dinner but it was absolutely delicious and a really nice touch. The breakfast was also really good and worth paying for. The comments about plug sockets in the dorms are valid, but between the five of us in the dorm we managed to sort out all the charging time we needed.

Miette Guest House

Jasper, Canada

The most comfortable and restful night of my two-week trip across Canada. The bathroom was a little dated but the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, well located, quite and great value for money. I reckon even the most hardcore backpacker would relish a night or two of peace and quiet here.

Planet Traveler

Toronto, Canada

I enjoyed my stay at the Planet Traveller. Clean and comfortable and the roof terrace was a great place to relax and chat.

I spent a very pleasant week here with two friends in a three-bed private room. The hostel was clean, the staff were friendly, the location was fantastic, and the breakfast was very good. The free coffee that's always available in the lobby was the icing on the cake. If I was really pedantic I'd have a moan about the water pressure in the showers. But I'm not, so I won't.

AAE Bourbon House Hostel

New Orleans, USA

I enjoyed my stay at AAE Bourbon house. The hostel has a nice atmosphere and the communal courtyard is lovely. The rooms were quite damp however, and the bathrooms were quite mildewy. That said, I imagine it's very hard to avoid this in such a humid climate and the hostel certainly didn't feel dirty. The staff were helpful and the whiteboard offering tips on what was happening in New Orleans each day was a really nice touch. Breakfast was limited - batter was provided to make pancakes with.

• 26th Oct 2013

Nashville Downtown Hostel

Nashville, USA

We stayed here for two nights, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hostel. Friendly staff, well-appointed with nicely-decorated communal areas and rooms.

Chicago Getaway Hostel

Chicago, USA

One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in. Comfortable beds, spacious room (we stayed in a 4-bed private), good breakfast, very helpful staff. A little bit too industrial-feeling perhaps. The location is beautiful, with Lincoln Park very close by. The steps out the front of the hostel are very slippery in the rain - I found out the humiliating way!

Hotel International

Manchester, England

Depressing, tired decor in urgent need of renovation. Not a nice place to spend a night.

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt

Frankfurt, Germany

Castanea Old Town Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in. Spotlessly clean, exceptionally helpful staff, lovely building, good location and comfortable beds.

RC Miguel Angel

Madrid, Spain

An excellent hostel. Clean, friendly, superbly located. Only sliiight moan was that the heating was far too high during the night. And of course some sort of common room or bar would be nice, but then no hostel has everything!