New York Budget Inn

New York, USA

I was at the end of a RTW trip, having travelled through 19 countries and this is the worst hostel I have had the misfortune of staying in considering the price. The dorms are cramped and the bunk beds so low that you can't sit up in them, and they don't other to provide simple things like reading lights. There's also no lounge space or kitchen, so there is nowhere to hang out. The wifi is really bad and when I complained one member of staff was obnoxious to me. Really don't recommend!

• 11th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your review. We apologize you had a negative stay with us. As manhattan can be a bit tight, we do provide a desk, lamp, microwave and refrigerator in our shared rooms with almost 11 ft ceiling heights. As we provide free wifi, we maximize the bandwidth by dividing the routers per floor, perhaps you were not connected to the appropriate router. We pride our self on great customer service as is evident in almost every other review.

This hostel is in a fantastic location but it felt a bit institutional... there wasn't much atmosphere despite it having a great kitchen, dining room etc. The window in the girls dorm wouldn't shut which made it cold at night and it was a long walk to the bathroom. All in all though, it's good value for Santa Monica.

• 7th Nov 2013

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. All the activities they organise make it a sociable place and great for solo travellers. The kitchen is one of the best I've ever seen in a hostel and the breakfast was good too. It's great for Hollywood Boulevard but at night this area looks a bit rough - I never saw or heard of any actual trouble, but it's not as glam as it sounds! Still, if you want to stay in Hollywood this is probably the best value you'll get.

• 4th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

This is the coolest hostel I've ever stayed in! It's done out really beautifully. I loved the well equipped, spacious kitchen and library area. The beds in the dorms are really comfy and it's pretty quiet and the staff were lovely too. I would totally recommend this hostel if you're in Tokyo, considering the general high prices it offers great value for money.

• 10th Sep 2013

Mojito Garden

Chiang Mai, Thailand

The staff were friendly and the place is sociable but I was sold a dodgy tour and when I complained, was told that this tour is known to be rubbish and is 'for Chinese people' whatever that means. Also, the first night I was given no locker and the dorm rooms do not lock, so security isn't great. It's also really annoying how the restaurant doesn't open early in the morning so if you are going on a tour or trek, you can't get breakfast. It's cheap though, so good value I guess.

• 4th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

we have a 100 of different tours, seems you want to see all north thailand in one day, so you choose what you want, before you booked that trip we talk to you about best review we have seems 7 years, but you didn't listen ! whatever... No guest lock the dorm room, it's only because everybody feel safe inside Mojito Area, few doesn't seems to understand that Chiang-Mai and North thailand are pretty safe everywhere. How you open restaurant when cook is sick ?!! Open your mind !!!

Pridi Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

This is one of the smartest hostels I've stayed in. Very comfy beds and very clean. The staff were great. The location is a bit far out of the city centre and not that close to the Skyytrain which is a bit annoying but the good thing is that the area is not at all like Kao San Rd - not full of Westerners and the bars and cafes are full of actual Thai people. There are lots of street stalls and a great little Indian restaurant up the road. Very peaceful hostel too.

• 1st Aug 2013

The Led Zephyr

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

A great hostel! I was a little worried about security given other reviews on here but they have lockers that can fit laptops and cameras in and everyone gets their own key to the dorm, so it's better than many hostels I've stayed in. The staff were really friendly and so helpful and the food is great! Just a short walk from the beach too!

• 27th Jul 2013

Long Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Can't fault this guesthouse at all. The staff are really friendly and helpful, the rooms are secure and the breakfast is great! The only thing I was annoyed by was the fact that the bus company they sell tickets for added an unavoidable five dollar fee onto the visa - insisting they filled out the forms when I could have done this myself.

• 13th Jul 2013

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

This hostel is pretty much perfect. Great breakfast, great staff who are super helpful and it's in a wonderful location in the Old Quarter. One thing though - don't take their recommendation to get the night bus anywhere out of Hanoi over the train... the nightbus is total hell!

• 27th Jun 2013

Sapa Backpackers

Sapa, Vietnam

Sapa Backpackers is a unique place as it's a centre for disadvantaged kids too. The kids are so sweet and will be sure to befriend you! The staff were really helpful and it's in a great location in the centre of Sapa.

• 24th Jun 2013

• 19th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

This hotel is located quite a way from the main street. I wish I'd booked into one of the ones right in the centre which are the same price. It was annoying that the dorm is on the fifth floor with no elevator and no wifi up there and not even providing toilet paper is a bit lame. I was a single traveller and I found the atmosphere was really unfriendly, but maybe I was just unlucky. The staff are friendly and helpful though.

• 15th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

HI, this is Hamson from the hostel. I don't know if you have been here while I was here. seems like your visit here wasn't satisfying. but i got to tell you less than 20RMB you ask the elevator and toilet paper even complain the dorm on the fifth floor , too much picky?? we always think how much you pay then how comfortable you got. we appreaciate everyone and love every one , and everyone is welcome here. we do require people to be clean and respectful to others.

Great location close to the Bund. I felt the hostel lacked atmosphere though, maybe it doesn't always - there is abar down stairs and a good sized kitchen and chill out area. The 6 bed dorm was really cramped as well, but it's pretty quiet.

• 12th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

The location of this hostel couldn't be better. It's right at the foot of Tai Shan. The staff are super friendly and the dorms spacious, clean and come with little extras like a reading light and pouch to put things in. I would totally recommend this hotel if you are going to Tai'an, and would heartily recommend their hot chocolate or milk tea when you come down form the mountain!

• 9th Jun 2013

Baikaler Hostel

Irkutsk, Russia

Great hostel, everyone here was so friendly! Good facilities, great location, couldn't really ask for anything more.

• 19th May 2013

Dostoevsky Hostel

Novosibirsk, Russia

Dostoevsky hostel is great! Anya and her mum are so friendly and helpful! And had a great night's sleep here after an exhausting train journey.

• 14th May 2013

Godzillas Suzdal

Suzdal, Russia

Could do with a kitchen! Other than that it's a nice hostel, clean, quiet and spacious.

• 11th May 2013

Apple Hostel Moscow

Moscow, Russia

Olga, the red haired girl is great - so helpful! The other staff were annoying though as one just let drunk, noisy people hang out in reception at all hours and the other gave confusing or wrong information. It was annoying to always have to wait for the bathroom too - they could do with another one. Great kitchen though, good location and good atmosphere.

• 8th May 2013

Apple Hostel Italy

St Petersburg, Russia

Irina and the other staff are great, so helpful and friendly! The hostel is a really good location, right in the heart of St. Petes. The dorms are a bit cramped but the great kitchen and lovely staff make up for this. Could do with putting things to hold the shower head in place in though.

• 4th May 2013

Tiger hostel

Riga, Latvia

I loved the Tiger themed decor! The hostel could do with a better kitchen, it was annoying there was only a microwave and no cooker. Also, I felt the hostel lacked atmosphere as there wasn't much of a social area on the floor I was staying in. It's not a party hostel though so good if you want a quiet night's sleep. Great location too.

• 28th Apr 2013

Fortuna Hostel

Vilnius, Lithuania

This is a pretty basic hostel. It lacks things like reading lights and lockers for baggage which I've had in all the other hostels I've stayed in so far. The bedsheets were the worst ever as well. I went to the KGB museum and the cells there had better ones! The atmosphere was good though and there is a big kitchen which is a plus point.

• 26th Apr 2013

PLUS Berlin

Berlin, Germany

This hostel looks good on paper but it seems to be trying to be a hotel... which means it has no 'hostel vibe'. Things liek the pool are nice, but if you're only in Berlin for a few days there are much better things to do than go swimming. I would have preferred to have a decent kitchen. The staff are nice, but it's too big for them to give you much attention. Also, the cocktails in the bar are vile - you can get way better cocktails for six euros in the bars along the road so don't bother.

• 17th Apr 2013

The Groove

Budapest, Hungary

The Groove is such a cool little hostel! The staff are super helpful and it's in a great location. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• 14th Apr 2013

Olive Hostel Belgrade

Belgrade, Serbia

Olive is a great little hostel. It feels more like a home and I loved the extra touches like board games in the rooms. Ksenija, who runs it, is one of the friendliest hostel owners ever and so helpful. Only thing I would say is that for non-smokers the smoking in the kitchen is a bit of an annoyance, but all in all, a great hostel.

• 11th Apr 2013

Guest House Taso

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Taso's hostel is more like a home really, it's very small, but the rooms are nice and the facilities were perfect. It's great value for money, especially as Taso or his friend Deny, collect and drop you at the staiton

• 8th Apr 2013

Apartment Emily

Split, Croatia

I stayed in a single apartment, so can't comment on the atmosphere. The apartment was small but fine, and Emily is really friendly. It's in a good location, easy to walk to the Diocletian Palace. Great value for money!

• 6th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

This hostel is a great place to stay if you are looking for somewhere quiet. As a female single traveller I felt very comfortable here. It is in a great location, neat the cool area of Trastevere which I would definitely recommend over the Termini area where most hostels are. It's a bit annoying that it doesn't have a kitchen and no sink or running water in the breakfast area.

• 1st Apr 2013

America del Sur Hostel Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in! It´s modern, clean and the staff are lovely and very helpful. They serve excellent food and the surrounding area of San Telmo has some great bars!!

Old Jaffa Hostel

Tel Aviv, Israel

I can't understand how this was voted the 15th best budget hotal int eh world (The Independant). The facilities were average and the staff were totally obnoxious. I have never been made to feel so unwelcome in any hostel I have stayed in!

HI, this is Rafi from the hostel. I don't know if you have been here while I was here. seems like your visit here wasn't satisfying. I hope we will get to see you in the future, and maybe I will be able to show you a different side. we do stand behind our 15th place in the world, we appreaciate everyone and love every one , and everyone is welcome here. we do require people to be clean and respectful to others. hope I will be able to change your views about us in the future. RAFI