Reviews: TheStaggeringGenius

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 34

Hostel Mostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

I ended up staying here on 3 occasions on my travels around Bulgaria. Highlights include the great spread at breakfast, the super-helpful staff (who put the tourist information to shame with their knowledge - special props to the guy who helped me out with transport directions to Panichishte and then Melnik) and the availability of 3 PCs for Internet - meaning you never have to wait long.

• 20th Sep 2014

Clink261

One of the best hostels I've stayed at in London recently - it's in a good location, it seems to be cleaned regularly and the breakfast was good. There were only 2 lockers in a 4 bed dorm which was disappointing, and the bunk beds were a bit wobbly, though had nice touches like individual lights and USB chargers on them. Depending on price and the location I'll be, this will be my choice stay next time I'm in London.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hi, Thanks for your feedback and such nice words. I'm so glad you want to come back - there's no better review than this :) I'm sorry we couldn't fit more lockers in your room but we have a lot of them at reception area. See you again! Enjoy your travels! Agata

Astor Museum Inn

The bunk beds can be a bit wobbly when people are moving on them, and the under-bed lockers noisy (which is a shame as the doors close nice and quietly), but everything else is great.

• 23rd Jun 2014

St Christopher's Greenwich

• 17th May 2014

Belsize House

There were no lockers in the room, but the hostel was clean and in a quiet location.

• 10th May 2014

Istanbul Harmony Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

An excellent location next to one of the main tram lines (and plenty of shops selling lokum and tea), friendly staff, and good storage space under the beds. A 2-minute walk from a cheap Internet cafe if you can't access Wi-Fi.

• 21st Oct 2013

Old Town Hostel

Tbilisi, Georgia

I ended up staying here on 3 separate occasions so it can't have been bad! The 6-bed dorm had a balcony with a superb view of the fortress and Sameba Cathedral, staff were friendly and a great help, there were lockers and a laptop for Internet access. The only downside was the lack of breakfast, but there are plenty of shops nearby to pick up a freshly baked cheese (or other filling) pie for 1 or 2 lari.

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Only a 2 minute walk from Island Gardens DLR and a few minutes from Greenwich foot tunnel. It's a nice area with the Thames and a bit of greenery (even a farm) nearby. Lockers in the rooms. The main downside was the three tiered bunk-beds, which were very wobbly every time someone moved - which doesn't make for a great night's sleep. The room doors could do with something that silences them shutting due to the selfish people who slam them.

• 27th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

The bunk beds weren't directly beside the wall and they had no sides, which I never like. The only other downside was the lack of a kitchen. It was very easy to find, right next to a tube station

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

I paid a deposit which I thought was for sheets and keycard - but there were no keycards - when I left I had to explain/argue to get my deposit back as I didn't have a keycard (which I wasn't given). My bunk bed was one that wobbled every time someone moved. Other than that it was a good stay, the generous breakfast stood out over other hostels.

• 15th Jun 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your review. We use all customer feedback to improve our service. It is our policy to charge a £1 deposit for key cards. If you were not issued with a key card, it would have been impossible for you to access the hostel and your room. Therefore, you must have been issued with a key card. If the key card is lost we do not return the £1 deposit. This policy is intended to encourage people not to lose the key card as key cards do cost a small amount of money and are an important security feature.

Seadragon Backpackers

Brighton, England

Helpful staff, great security and clean...in an excellent location near to a supermarket and a few minutes walk from the seafront by the ruined West Pier. The only downsides were some folk slam the doors at night despite the signs asking them not to, and an extra choice of breakfast cereal (muesli?) would be nice.

• 2nd Mar 2012

Astor Victoria

The lockers under the beds are very noisy, and the kitchen (right next to some of the dorms) was host to a very noisy game of footbag (I think) late one night - staff seemed unconcerned as they went in and out of the staff room - I think they were off duty but not the point! Otherwise the hostel was fine and I'd stay again if I was in the area.

• 1st Mar 2012

Astor Museum Inn

It was a bit of a pain being in another building as I missed breakfast by a couple of minutes (the kitchen seems to close just before 10) but otherwise fine - it's one of the nicest hostels in London, just a bit dusty in places (I saw they had an advert for a cleaner). I'll stay here again if I'm in the vicinity.

• 16th Dec 2011

Embassie Liverpool Backpackers

Liverpool, England

A nice homely hostel in a quiet location, near to a supermarket and just a few minutes walk from the cathedral and China Town. It would be useful if guests had some sort of receipt so the staff know who is entering at all times, but security was good (lockers available).

• 29th Oct 2011

St Christopher's Camden

I've never known a hostel to charge for left luggage before, and every sound in the building seemed to vibrate through the bed in the room I was in, plus the under bed lockers were very loud. I've stayed here before and my previous room wasn't that bad but I probably won't stay again thanks to this experience...

Hi, Thanks you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. The hostel can indeed be noisy while we have bands on but we do ensure that all music is off by 2am to ensure the guests have a good nights sleep. The luggage storage comment is a bit confusing as we do offer free luggage storage AND the electronic lockers as we find these days back packers are travelling with more and more expensive gadgets so offering an insured alternative has become important. Agin sorry you didn't enjoy yourself but thanks again for the feedback it really helps us to grow and improve our service.

Soul Hostel

Krakow, Poland

Pretty much everything you'd need from a hostel and the staff were great. I was here for a week and on the whole it had a chilled out atmosphere with some cool people passing through.

Flamingo Hostel Zakopane

Zakopane, Poland

In a good location not too far from the bus station and walking routes from the mountains. Staff recommended a couple of great restaurants and even phoned to check one was open.

MEININGER London Hyde Park

Some of the staff didn't seem too helpful this time, but it's an excellent all-round hostel if you don't mind the large size. I was lucky enough to have a view over the Natural History Museum, which was pretty cool.

Smart Camden Hostel

The hostel wasn't filthy, but could be cleaner. I could only find one toilet. Security is excellent with key cards to rooms and lockers inside.

• 28th Jan 2011

Butterfly Villa Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

It seemed to be about half way between the train station and old town so a decent location. There’s a main area to hang out and separate chill out areas next to the bedrooms too, with a bathroom on each floor, and security lockers. There was an excellent spread for breakfast but unfortunately I only had time for cereal before I left for my flight. The only problem was I couldn’t find a saucepan in the kitchen to cook my pasta the night before! I’d stay here again.

Sibiu Travellers Hostel

Sibiu, Romania

The best hostel I stayed at in Romania (and they were all good). Situated in a quiet area near to the train station, the staff were welcoming and very helpful, there was a well-stocked clean kitchen, comfy beds, two PCs for internet access, outdoor area, security lockers...probably everything a traveller needs. And every hostel should have dimmer lights in the bedrooms and notes reminding people to rinse the shower out after use!

Gia Boutique Hostel

Sighisoara, Romania

Probably the easiest hostel I’ve ever had to find, but...the hostel was overbooked for a night so I had to move 250m down the road AND they don’t have bike hire as advertised which spoiled my plans somewhat – someone needs to update the details here. The receptionist I dealt with during my stay was excellent though and the hostel was clean, with possibly the best decorated room I’ve ever stayed in. There are some excellent daytrips from Sighisoara so stay for more than one or two nights and see more

Happy Hostel Brasov

Brasov, Romania

A quiet location. There's a bus stop just outside but if you walk; it's 20 minutes from the train station, 25 to the town centre and 10 to the bus station (for trips to Brasov, Rasnov...). There were no lockers although entrance to the building is secure. The hosts were great - very friendly and helpful.

Doors Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

St Christopher's Camden

Make sure you have a decent pair of earplugs, I was right above the bar which was pumping out loud music until 1-2am. Otherwise the hostel was decent, I doubt you'll get better value for money in London. Security-wise there was only one locker for every two beds but key cards for individual rooms.

Westham Bed & Breakfast

Warwick, England

Helpful owner, clean, good breakfast and only a 15 minute walk away from Warwick (there's a bus-stop just outside too).

Astor Museum Inn

Out of the numerous hostels I've stayed at in London this is definitely the one I'd choose to go back to. It's definitely the most homely, though some people might think cramped - the kitchen can get a little crowded. It's within easy walking distance of Euston, Soho and Oxford Street and opposite the British Museum, so location is great too. There are lockups, but my padlock was too small.

YHA London Central

Great location close to Euston and Oxford Street, lockers in each room (bring your own padlock). The main problem was the noise at night; voices and shutting doors seemed to travel through the hostel. Also, a couple of people woke me up by coming into the room at about 3am and then left. There wasn't a spare bed so I don't know what that was about. Be aware of the £3 surcharge for non YHA members.

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

A bit strict on the rules; I got there at 2 but couldn't check in until 3 - I'm used to more relaxed hostels, but the staff were helpful and friendly nevertheless. A bit dusty in places and only 1 out of 4 lockers functioned in the room (another 1 was fixed when I mentioned this). A good location next to the main train station and decent breakfast.

Globetrotter Inn London

A good location, right next to an underground station and within walking distance of Hammersmith Bridge and Shepherds Bush Empire. Breakfast was toast and cereals; decent enough and security was excellent (bring a padlock for the lockers).

Hatters at Hilton Chambers

Manchester, England

An excellent hostel. The location near to Piccadilly Station and on the corner of Oldham Street would have been perfect if it wasn't for the noisy nightclub that was so near, but I'm sure double-glazing could fix that? Very clean, apart from beneath the beds, why is the floor under a hostel bed never clean? It would be a great storage spot for bags etc otherwise...

Hatters on Newton Street

Manchester, England

Near to Piccadilly Station, the only downside of that is a bit of noise outside at night. Excellent security with 24 hour manned reception and lockers...TV room, pool table, free breakfast and tea included. Staff all seemed to be travellers themselves and were helpful. There was a street-light shining straight onto my bed as the blinds were broken which was distracting, and the floors in the shower rooms needed a clean. The plus points did make up for that; I'd stay here again.

Begovic Boarding House

Dubrovnik, Croatia

I was picked up from the bus station and shown where the supermarket, bus stop etc was - all 5 mins from the guesthouse. The old town is a 30 minute walk and there are regular buses too. Kitchen and supermarket is good to save money...little things like a shower curtain would be useful but I'd stay here again if I came back.

Hostel Enjoy

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Little negatives like waiting 30 minutes for the water to heat up, but for a very cheap price you get a bed close to the bus/train station and a 25-minute walk from the old town. I rated the security as good although every time I went back to the hostel it had been left unlocked. The main downstairs door was locked. The breakfast and cup of tea was very fulfilling and the home-made apple pie delicious. :-)

Hostel Majdas (former Majdas Rooms)

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

People even talk about this hostel at other hostels. About 10 of us arrived in different groups on the same train and we were welcomed on the balcony with drinks and cake! 10 minutes walk from the old town, security is fine with lockers available. The tour is excellent value and Bata is a great guide. I hope the new place they\'re planning doesn\'t lose anything but wish them every success with it, they deserve it!

Silver Central Hostel

Split, Croatia

A good location, personal lockers, generally clean, though the shower became blocked and as there is only one for males that was a bit of a problem. People in the common room were VERY noisy until the early hours on my first night so maybe a stricter curfew should be enforced.

Apartments Arena Pula

Pula, Croatia

A sizable clean room with kitchen, bed and lounge area with a separate bathroom. A 20+ minute walk to the main parts of town, but what could be better than being next-door to the amphitheatre?!

MEININGER London Hyde Park

Very clean, great location (right next to the Natural History Museum and main underground lines). Room was small but clean and tidy, lockers included (take your own padlock, or hire one from reception). The 6th floor is reserved for hostellers, other levels providing things such as permanent accommodation and conference rooms. There is one communal area with a TV downstairs and a restaurant, though it is difficult if you want to meet people with the mix of residents/hostellers that are there.

Vila Gorenka

Bled, Slovenia

An excellent location by the lake in a lovely old building, parts of which were a bit cranky (e.g. a sink problem). Free internet access and the owner was helpful in answering any questions we had.

Alibi B14

Piran, Slovenia

Helpful owner and clean rooms. The bathroom smelt a bit weird...though after a couple of weeks in Slovenia we realised most of the bathrooms smelt a bit strange. Fine location as Piran is quite small anyway. No lockers.

A Venice Fish

Venice, Italy

There were no lockers and rooms didn't have individual locks, but the hostel is in an excellent location and within walking distance of the train station and St Mark's Square...food was provided every night around 8pm - this saves some money and was a good social occasion, though it's not always good to be tied to being in a certain place at a certain time when you're in a new place. The hostel seemed a bit disorganised (but not in a really bad way, if that makes sense) and not all staff spoke English - that's not a complaint but is something I've been used to with every other hostel I've stayed at, they all tried to be helpful though. Despite the extra expense, I'd definitely recommend staying here in Venice instead of making the trip from one of the hostels outside the city.

Belford Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

It's a nice idea converting a church into a hostel but I think it could have been better executed. A decent enough hostel though, perhaps it would be an idea to mention to arrivals to be respectful (quiet) at night, as one person being noisy can wake a few here...

St Christopher's Village

Staff were really friendly and helpful, hostel right next to the Jubilee tube line so easy access to many of the main sites such as Westminster and London Eye and also within walking distance of the Tower Bridge. The only majorly negative thing I can think of is there didn't seem to be enough chairs and tables in the bar for breakfast, which could be more of a problem in summer.

Globetrotters/The Townhouse

Dublin, Ireland

Easily one of the best hostels I've stayed in; it has more of an upmarket hotel feel, very clean and comfortable (I preferred the bed to mine at home, and that's never happened before!), in a good location, friendly staff...the breakfast was great and included in the price. There's security on the door which is great, though if I had to criticise, there are no lockers in rooms and there isn't a self-catering kitchen. The overall quality of the hostel means it'll be my first choice if I go to Dublin again

The hostel is located within a few minutes walk from Glendalough and the Monastic area and the main walks around the upper and lower lake. There were two lockers (in a room of ten beds) available if you had your own padlock and each room had its own keycard access. The hostel was clean with fresh bed-sheets provided on arrival. Staff were helpful but one thing I found weird was guests seemed unwilling to speak to each other here! One of the things I enjoy about staying in hostels is meeting other travellers from around the world. There seemed to be more families and groups of people together here than I'm used to so I don't know if that affected the spirit of chatting to strangers...