Location: Northern Ireland, Gender: Male, Age: 38

The hostel is located along a quiet street in the city centre, convenient to all sites within Bern. The common room was spacious and my private room was very clean and comfortable, but the walls between the rooms were very thin so a good night's sleep depended solely on how much respect your neighbour had for the other guests. I would recommend this hostel just to keep your day-to-day costs down. Staff were pedantic about check in times: unhelpful when you have travelled many hours to get there.

• 3rd Mar 2014

City Hostel Geneva

Geneva, Switzerland

Very clean hostel with great facilities like hot showers, free lockers and a kitchen where even the fridges had locked compartments for your personal use. The location was very convenient to the main train station and city centre. But, I found the day staff unpleasant and unhelpful and the walls of the private rooms very thin so you could hear everything your neighbour was doing. OK for staying in if you want to keep your costs down whilst in Switzerland.

• 1st Mar 2014

Gulnara

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

The room was comfortable and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hostel is close to the metro stations Tinchlik and Chorsu, and also close to several grocery stores and to Chorsu bazaar. I had a pleasant stay here and would use the hostel again on my next visit to Tashkent.

• 17th Jul 2013

Astor Court Hotel

The hotel had a good central location and was easy to get to from the underground. Breakfast was good but the facilities wthin the room were average considering the cost of the room per night. The staff were pleasant. Overall the convenient location did not compensate for the cost.

• 24th Apr 2013

Hotel Jupiter

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The hostel was in an excellent location near the Rijksmuseum and in a quiet street. I stayed in a single room, which although small, gave me all the comfort I needed, including an ensuite toilet and shower. Would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Amsterdam.

• 6th Mar 2012

Albergue Studio Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

• 21st Nov 2011

Hostel Print

Ljubljana, Slovenia

The room was comfortable and well equipped. It was great having a fridge in the room as I could then store some food for my supper. Backpacking always works up a good appetite. The showers always had warm water which allowed me to clean myself up after a long day of walking, travelling and seeing the beautiful Slovenian capital. I had a great stay in Hostel Print.

Edinburgh Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

We stayed in the private accomodation and would strongly recommend using this option. The hostel is in the perfect location, it is good value for money and it allowed us a quiet place to relax after seeing all the sites and nightlife that Edinburgh has on offer.

Arnies Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

The hostel is in a very convenient location close to the city centre but other than that I couldn't find anything to recommend this hostel. Disappointing as I'm from Northern Ireland and I wanted to say something more positive.

Amsterdam Hostel Annemarie

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I stayed here a few years ago and really liked it, but it has become a bit run down since then. Some of the furniture in my private room was broken and the room wasn't clean. But the staff were pleasant, the breakfast great and the location excellent.

Guesthouse Per Sempre

Maastricht, Netherlands

Maastricht is a great city but the hospitality of the staff in Guesthouse Per Sempre was really poor. I wasn't allowed breakfast as I hadn't "booked" it in advance. Exactly how much preparation does a bowl of cereal require?

East Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

Really helpful staff. Hostel in a great location near Gara de Nord and Piata Victoriei. To be honest I wish I had stayed longer. Quiet, clean and comfortable

Hotel Nymphenburg Munich

Munich, Germany

Hotel Nymphenburg provided me with all the comfort I needed and was a very pleasant place for me to relax in the evening after a long day experiencing the culture and seeing the sights in such a beautiful city. The staff were all very helpful, polite and spoke excellent English. I only wish I had a better understanding of the German language. The breakfast provided each morning was excellent. I have already recommended this hotel to many of my friends and colleagues. Thank you to all the staff.

Brussels Hello Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

The hostel was in an excellent location near to the Simonis metro station and it was quiet every night. The beds were very comfortable and the big lockers were very useful. It would be better if breakfast started a little earlier but I will definitely recommend this hostel for anyone wanting to visit Brussels - a beautiful city with helpful people.

Prima Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

All staff were polite and very helpful during my visit but it would have been better if breakfast started earlier than 9am. However I would recommend Prima Hostel as a place to stay in Budapest.

Tashkent Hotel Elite

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

The staff were very helpful and the breakfast provided each morning was amazing. There were so many different foods for you to try. The location was perfect along a broad, quiet road near to many shops, restaurants and a pleasant park. I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to visit Tashkent. It gets very hot in summer though.

Tashkent Hotel Elite

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious. Will definitely be back.

Rangemoor Park

Derby, England

I ended up in Derby on my way home to Northern Ireland having travelled across Ukraine and the Czech Republic. The hospitality and friendliness of the people in these 2 countries was excellent. Even with people who were able to speak as much English as I knew Russian helped me when I needed directions or when I was ordering food. However, the manager (or kitchen porter, whatever he was) of the Rangemoor Park that I met on Sunday 24th June was none of these things. He was arrogant, unhelpful and ill-mannered. Why he chose an occupation in the hospitality and catering industry is anyone's guess. I will never return to Derby for a visit again, and at the moment I am considering making all connecting flights to Europe from Northern Ireland through Dublin because I am no longer happy to pay money into the English tourist industry. Yours sincerely, Joel Rankin.

Advantage Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

Staff were unfriendly and the Advantage Hostel is beside one of the main roads out of Prague so it can be extremely noisy even at night.

City Hostel Riga

Riga, Latvia

Unfortunately during my stay there were a couple of problems with drunken Latvian / Russian guests. However, the manager did resolve these problems quickly. There were very threatening and abusive.

Amsterdam Hostel Annemarie

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Excellent location near Museumplein which was easy to get to via tram from Centraal station. The staff were polite and helpful and the breakfast was good. The hostel was quiet and offered me a comfortable private room at an excellent price.

Hostel Lum 'n Abner

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The hostel (boat) owner was extremely helpful and very friendly. I really enjoyed having breakfast with him and his wife. The boat needed a few repairs but it was a wonderful experience. In a quiet location but with excellent public transport nearby.