Reviews: Theotherman

Jacobs Inn

Dublin, Ireland

Hlemmur Square

Reykjavik, Iceland

For the final stop of my tour, I considered a hotel. I didn't, but a hostel experience within a hotel was just as good. Out of season it was quiet, two of us in a big dorm, the kitchen was always available (though plenty of selfish people couldn't be bothered to wash up), the place was cosy and wifi excellent. Staff were great, sorting out tours with no fuss, and I couldn't have been happier.

Planet Traveler

Toronto, Canada

Nice and near to shops and restaurants, an easy walk from the bus station and a good base for town. It's a pretty big hostel and was busy when I was there, which makes it slightly less easy to slot in as a solo newbie, but I had a good stay, slept well and loved the breakfast and welcome from staff.

Downtown Washington Hostel

Washington DC, USA

A great welcome and a comfortable stay. The kitchen is great, the living room a little small if lots of people want to use it. The hostel's well located for Union station, which was great for me, and bars, restaurants and a supermarket. The price was cheap, though knocking off the hostel world 10% seemed to be a bit hit and miss. Great stay overall.

Beautiful and friendly hostel, within easy walking distance of the light rail (or you can get a bus). Access to the airport via rail and skytrain is excellent. Staff were friendly and the communal areas have the special magic that means everyone talks to each other.

A great welcome, superb heating and easy to reach location near the railway and bus station make this a decent hostel. The fact that they offer cheap tours to Sedona and the Canyon push it up towards excellent. While I was there the kitchens were underused, which made it very easy to cook, and I enjoyed chilling out in the living room. Laundry is cheap and the wifi is good. It's a short stroll to the Arizona shuttle for other travel.

Great location, breakfast and decent wifi, near to Waikiki beach and on bus and shuttle routes. It wasn't that sociable a place when I was there, and the beds were only averagely comfortable, but all perfectly good for a beach and bar stay.

Kiwi Airport Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

All a bit bare bones, the atmosphere probably changes, though when I was there everyone was very chatty, either through excitement at going home, or deferring the misery of same. The beds are comfortable, the staff very friendly and (at least for us that night) gave out a free 200mb wifi voucher which is neat. There's a shop and restaurants nearby; not an amazing selection, but enough to get you through.

Stafford Gables Hostel

Dunedin, New Zealand

Up a short sharp hill, just a wander from the city centre, though about a mile from the intercity stop. This is a lovely large hostel, with fantastic free wifi-seriously good. The dorm i was in was spacious and the toilet and shower a little small but did the job. The place looks a bit ramshackle, but I found it charming.

YHA Whangarei Falls Backpackers

Whangarei, New Zealand

Free pick up from the bus, stunning waterfalls round the corner, Abbey caves and riverside walk all doable in a day, with a bonus wander into town if you fancy it, then chill out in the pool and hot tub. Stunning.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Pentlands Backpackers Hostel

Auckland, New Zealand

Easy to get to from the airport or the city centre, and nicely outside the hustle and bustle of the city. On the coast-to-coast route if you fancy picking that up part-way, and internet access, whilst paid for, is cheaper here than at many, so long as you buy at the counter. The staff are excellent, and the outside areas are great for a sunny day.

Greenhouse Backpacker

Melbourne, Australia

Great location, in the centre of the city and near to Flinders Street which is a hub. My dorm was comfortable enough, though having so many people spread over different floors made the communal area at the top a mix of disparate groups rather than a melting pot. I knew the people in my room pretty well as a result, though. Wifi is free but a bit hit and miss - you can get free fast access at the station nearby. Food and drink is plentiful nearby.

Wake Up! Sydney Central

Sydney, Australia

I was happy with the bedroom, communal areas and though you pay for it, the wifi is excellent. The bar downstairs is kicking, and a nice big dorm room made for easy chatting and a good sleep. Location is good, opposite the central station, and the attractions of the city are walking distance. I was less impressed that when I checked in and paid by card, I was given a total in gbp without being asked. That added about 7% to the cost-changed to aud on request, but naughty.

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to let us know of your experience here. By the sounds of it you enjoyed the hostel and that's wonderful to hear! Apologies for any confusion in regards to your payment at check in. See you next time. Wake Up! Management

Backpackers Newcastle

Newcastle, Australia

I had a wonderful welcome from the owner, who talked me through a walk (showed all the best parts of Newcastle) and a bus trip to Blackbutt reserve (highly recommended). The TV room is a nice facility, and the pool and outside area are great. There were lots of long-stay residents who had suffered clothes explosions, spreading their possessions over >50% of the floor area, which was a bit off-putting, though the people themselves were nice enough. Newcastle's fabulous and laid back, do go.

Adelaide Central YHA

Adelaide, Australia

Grannys Hostel

Kuta, Indonesia

My first impression was that this was a mucky place on the wrong side of a main road for beach access. But within an hour people had returned from their day's activity, we drank and talked in the garden and I had a bunch of new friends. The atmosphere, held by all the staff learning your name, smiling and really seeming to care you are having a good time, is exceptional. There's a dedicated spot on the beach, and you can arrange tours easily. I loved it here.

• 6th Nov 2013

Green Kiwi Backpacker Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

In a good spot, very near a great food court and an easy walk to the station or even into the centre itself. The place itself is a bit cramped, which makes for a time spent squeezing past other people to find a spot. Breakfast is simple but good, and the rooftop is the standout-when it is cool enough to be up there.

• 3rd Nov 2013

The Explorers Guesthouse and Hostel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

• 30th Oct 2013

Kimberley House

Penang, Malaysia

Right next to a varied food court and walkable from the ferry, this hostel is in an excellent spot for exploring Penang. You could also walk to the botanical gardens and even to Penang Hill, but I'd recommend the no. 10 and no. 1 buses respectively. The only pity was the lack of windows in the two dorm rooms I saw - good for sleeping, not so good for feeling human. Still, in Penang you can always get out and eat, and this place is ideally located for that.

• 27th Oct 2013

Goodtime Beach Hostel

Koh Tao, Thailand

Gives you great access to the beach and a comfy bed. It's also walkable from the ferry-their 10-15 mins is optimistic, but it's not much longer than that, and better than a relatively expensive taxi that only gets you near. As other reviews say, it's not the most sociable, and despite being cheap, feels overpriced compared to other hostels. Still, no real complaints-beach, sea, sand, sleep, great.

• 23rd Oct 2013

Salsa Hostel

Chumphon, Thailand

Lots of people pass through Chumphon, few stay longer than a night, but if you're going to, this is a great place to do it. Comfy rooms, tv room upstairs with a DVD library, a short walk from the train station and street food plus night market right outside.

• 21st Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for your comment and review score. I appreciate it and will take the least score in to my account and improve it. Thanks again. Sood / Owner

Link Corner Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Easy to find, so close to the airport city link, and near to malls and all the big hotels, so plenty of tourists around. The skytrain isn't all that far away and the Royal palace and other sights could even be walked to if you fancied a decent walk. Lockers have a very flimsy connection for your padlock, and the third floor bathroom seemed to flood (though I think mostly from guest inattention rather than bad plumbing). There's a social area down and upstairs, more for lounging than sitting.

• 18th Oct 2013

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Free pick up, a pool, a cinema room, good food, happy hour, friendly staff and guests, and close to everything you could want to see. Free bike hire means you can make your own tour, you can book one of many tours available in the hostel, or arrange for a tuk tuk driver they trust to take you round. The atmosphere was great, if overwhelmingly Western, and it's so ethical I feel inspired to do something similar myself. Wonderful place and people.

• 15th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thanks much. The Hostel is built on foundations of goodwill and we try to operate with people -guests and staff alike - first and foremost. Happy travels. :)

Me Mates Villa

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Nice staff, organised a pick up for me from my overnight stay, and were smiley and welcoming throughout. The outside area is very nice, inside nice enough but long and thin, which makes it harder to socialise there. Big double bunk beds and secure lockers make the dorm comfy and secure if a bit sparse.

• 14th Oct 2013

MR.COMMA guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

Great spot and a great common room, with comfy beds and free washing machine, I loved my stay here. That was mostly thanks to my hosts, who really made me feel I was welcome into their home more than their hostel; we went for dinner, had a group meal in the common room and I felt I'd made friends. The place has easy access to all of Seoul via the metro and the airports via the Arex commuter train.

• 8th Oct 2013

Jeonju Hostel

Jeonju, South Korea

Friends made in the common room, chilled out in the village, beer and a comfy bed. Great.

• 6th Oct 2013

Danim Backpackers

Daegu, South Korea

• 5th Oct 2013

Gyeongju Tour Guesthouse

Gyeong-ju, South Korea

Very easy to find from the station, walking distance to some attractions, such as Anapji pond and the national museum, and great, friendly and really knowledgeable staff make this place. I arrived with little knowledge about Gyeongju nor where to go next, but soon had an introduction to the local attractions. With time, head to Yangdong village and Namsan mountain (take food to the latter-there's noticing up there) and save local attractions for a spare day, see the pond I the evening.

• 1st Oct 2013

Wow Guesthouse

Busan, South Korea

Lovely spot just a few minutes from the beach (and most of those you won't be walking, just waiting to cross the main road). The common room upstairs is a great spot, especially on a rainy day, and the place is easy to reach via subway-in my case, from the ferry. The ferry port is only a few minutes walk from the subway itself. Staff were excellent, friendly and full of info.

• 28th Sep 2013

Khaosan Fukuoka Annex

Fukuoka City, Japan

Loved the capsule style space in my 8 person dorm, and the bathroom was clean. Hostel very easy to find thanks to good directions. The common room is fine if a bit small and sparse.

• 27th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Friendly staff-who have us a fantastic restaurant recommendation-nice beds, good wifi and decent common room, all makes for a good hostel, an easy walk from the rail and bus station.

• 24th Sep 2013

Hotel Mikado

Osaka, Japan

I was in a dorm room, which was perfectly alright, with a medium sized locked and enough space for bags though it wasn't overly large. The common area downstairs is decent, with a mini kitchen like elsewhere I've stayed in Japan. The area is a bit run down, but the metro is close for easy access to everywhere else, and Shinsekai and the tower are easily walkable, as is Tennoji.

• 22nd Sep 2013

Hotel Taiyo

Osaka, Japan

Nice rooms and decent staff in a less than salubrious area. There's no real common room, just a couple of chairs down in reception but this is a perfectly alright place to stay, not so good for meeting people. Metro is right outside and a couple of cheap supermarkets nearby so it's very convenient for moving around and eating.

• 21st Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Nice enough, having a private room is a boon perhaps after several days in dorm rooms, but a little too much like shutting yourself away in a cell. Worth paying the extra for air conditioning if you have the option. Staff were excellent and the common room has a nice shabby chic feel to it, but the place feels a little big and anonymous.

• 20th Sep 2013

Jiyujin

Kyoto, Japan

A lovely hostel in a great location, walkable from the main station, half a mile from the river, near to cheap supermarkets and restaurants and walking distance to temple after temple. The staff were incredibly friendly and happy, making my day whenever I walked in to a lovely greeting, the kitchen is a decent common room and the dorm beds comfortable with privacy curtains all round. Hope I can come back here some day.

• 17th Sep 2013

Ohsu Plaza Hostel

Nagoya, Japan

I was the only one staying here wanting a dorm room, so was upgraded to a single and can't speak for the dorm room. But top marks for customer service, my room was clean and comfy and with excellent wifi.

• 15th Sep 2013

Retrometro Backpackers

Tokyo, Japan

Lovely hostel, great staff, and a decent location with a nice, if small, communal area. I slept fine, though the room was a little warm; the fan seemed more for ventilation than air cooling.

• 14th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Beautiful building, lovely rooms (be careful of your head on door frames if you're 5'10" or over) and a great garden outside. All of that as nothing compared to the welcome from staff, which was amazing. Loved my time here, and I hope to be back.

• 12th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your stay. How was our food party? You looked so fun. We Japanese are small, so building too. 5'10'' over staff have difficulty to work here!(All staff now are small, no problem) We always welcome your coming back!

Khaosan Tokyo Smile

Tokyo, Japan

Cheap and perhaps a little rough round the edges, but everything you need is here or round the corner (khaosan annex). The rooms lead off the common area, so selfish noise makers affect everyone.

• 10th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your rating and feedback, too. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us despite noise problem. We will keep doing our best to improve the problems and make our place more comfortable and convenient. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you very much again.

Fabulous. A getaway in the mountains, Scout can't do enough for his guests, picking us up from the station and making sure we had maps etc for travelling Nikko. Stay here for a while-if you want to explore Nikko from Tokyo (Asakusa station) then the all Nikko pass lasts 4 days including all buses and a round trip from Asakusa. The hostel has a beautiful location, quick wifi and is super comfy.

• 7th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Beautiful-the common area and whole hostel floor is just lovely. Aside from that the beds are comfy, wifi works nicely and the toilets and showers are in a small but perfectly formed and very clean room. Loved my stay here.

• 5th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Simple to find following excellent directions, beds are comfy and the common lounge/reception with computers is a good space to chill out. Close to the metro to explore the city and Asakusa has masses of places to eat and shop, plus the Senso-Ji temple a short walk away.

• 3rd Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your rating and feedback, too. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We will keep doing our best to make our place more comfortable and convenient. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you very much again.

Corona Hostel

Khabarovsk, Russia

Beds big and comfy, facilities, especially the washing machine, are very good. The common area is a bit congested and not so welcoming, and only one shower room might be a problem at busy times though it was fine for me. Easy to find from the station-straight out the front, past Lenin and down the green strip in front of you, road is the fourth on the left-but this is after a mile, albeit downhill. Then along the road, up and down hill along crumbling pavements, for another mile.

• 31st Aug 2013

Trans-Sib Hostel

Irkutsk, Russia

Very friendly staff, and really easy to stroll to from the station. It's not so great for town if you're there for a while-easy enough to get a bus, or walk, but the bridge into town isn't the prettiest. Otherwise there's everything you need, a park over the road, small supermarket round the corner and a great place for a short stop in Irkutsk.

• 25th Aug 2013

Omnomnom Hostel

Yekaterinburg, Russia

Lovely clean and friendly place, right near the centre and easy to get to.

• 20th Aug 2013

Moscow Home-Hostel

Moscow, Russia

Everything you need in a decent spot, particularly well sited for the Luzhniki stadium and access to the river front. The rooms in the 'second part' of the hostel are accessed via a stairwell that reeks of cigarettes, and the floors were dusty. I was unlucky with roommates, in the first half of my stay they thought nothing of leaving the door open, rustling through bags and talking way after midnight. The hostel forgot to do my registration, though it doesn't seem to have mattered.

• 9th Aug 2013

BroadSky Hostel

St Petersburg, Russia

A nice place, cosy (or 'a bit cramped', if you like) though I was unlucky in being there on a day when they had to keep us all out till 6 for cleaning. Unless you have 'the map' they refer to right at the end of the directions, they do not make it easy to find-essentially, enter from the side street not the actual address and you can't miss it though.

• 8th Aug 2013

Hostel Erottajanpuisto

Helsinki, Finland

Great location near the esplanade and walking distance from the ferry and train. Very friendly staff and a nice atmosphere in a great apartment in a big building. Shops and all the sights of Helsinki nearby.

• 5th Aug 2013

Sleep in Heaven

Copenhagen, Denmark

Good location, near to a park, shops, bars and restaurants. No kitchen is a pity, and it is noisy-seemed like everyone wanted to chat in the hallways! Staff very friendly and drinking in happy hour is cheap and sociable.

• 2nd Aug 2013

Kilkenny Tourist Hostel

Kilkenny, Ireland

• 28th Jun 2013

Rainbow Hostel Dingle

Dingle, Ireland

Very friendly staff, and a lovely atmosphere in the place, it helps having campers there too, and dingle is such a draw that it's likely to be busy without being overrun. There's a back route to the hostel that avoids walking along the main road (which has no pavement for a few hundred metres) and gives you easy access to Main Street and its pubs.

• 24th Jun 2013

Neptunes Town Hostel

Killarney, Ireland

Great spot in town, excellent communal rooms, incredibly friendly staff, really made my stay a pleasure-I would have stayed longer but for having to move on. Great walk in the national park just half a mile away, and you can see the cathedral on the way-which is where the nearest free parking is, so for me it was easy to pause and pick up the bike from the car to go explore. The gap of Dunloe is fantastic, see instructions in the hostel for a good route.

• 22nd Jun 2013

Rowan Tree Hostel

Ennis, Ireland

Lovely location in a bright little town, and all the facilities you could hope for. It just seemed a bit dead-plenty of people but not much conversation. Probably just luck of the draw, and the hostel itself is great.

• 19th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thanks a million for your very nice review, we try to encourage social interaction but it depends on the people. The next time your back let us know and we'll bring you for a pint !! Regards from all the team @ Rowan Tree Hostel

Aille River Hostel

Doolin, Ireland

Lovely riverside spot, great for walking, running and cycling, and the doolin ferries to the Aran islands are just down the road (2km or so, but not on busy roads). Worth getting a quote from one ferry and seeing if another will beat it when they're not full.

• 18th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

I loved my stay here. Great bed, common area, internet access and shower facilities. Mike, the owner, is variously described in guide books as an authority on pubs, walks and the local area, so essentially you can ask him anything. This is a fabulous hostel in a great location for exploring the national park (500m away), the coast and the Connemara loop.

• 16th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

A commanding view of Donegal, and with easy access to a simple walk into town across the bay, the hostel has very friendly owners, the facilities I wanted (no oven, so work round that, but plenty of hob space) and a comfortable quiet night's sleep too. Rooms are decorated differently-mine with a night time mural across the roof. Fab.

• 14th Jun 2013

Apple Hostel Letterkenny

Letterkenny, Ireland

A great welcome, and fabulous knowledge of the local area settled me in well and let me plan the next day quickly and easily. It was quiet when I stayed, but this is a great spot to stay or to camp, with the facilities of Letterkenny a short walk away.

• 12th Jun 2013

Derry City Independent Hostel

Derry, Northern Ireland

Excellent place, regular excursions to the pub and a friendly atmosphere there and in the hostel.

• 10th Jun 2013

Lagan Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Great busy city centre hostel, with everything you could want, including breakfast and a cheap dinner if you're on a budget. My second time here, I didn't see any reason to go anywhere else

• 9th Jun 2013

Ballyeamon Barn Tourist Hostel

Cushendall, Northern Ireland

Beautiful and charatcerful barn in the middle of a great area for walking, running and cycling.

• 4th Jun 2013

Humphrey's at Rathmore

Larne, Northern Ireland

A wonderful welcome set the tone for my stay in this characterful old house. Despite its size it is warm and cosy and has everything you could need, with very comfy beds, exceptionally friendly staff, good wifi and even a gym out back with table tennis, darts and pool. This is a great base for anyone, and if you're a runner or cyclist this is a home from home, with the glorious coast road to explore.

• 1st Jun 2013

Lagan Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Fun and friendly, and the communal meals really make it, a great way to meet your fellow travellers and swap stories. The street the hostel is on doesn't look up to much but is perfectly safe-I left my bike in my car out front, no problem at all. Easy to stroll through Belfast from here, and the staff will give you a map and a route to see the main sights.

• 30th May 2013

YHA Hartington Hall

Derby, England

Beautiful hall, and a lovely atmosphere with people of all ages, and very friendly staff. It's unusual nowadays to have to pay extra for wifi, though it is cheap, but other than that this is a fabulous spot to explore a lovely part of the world.

• 29th May 2013