Reviews: scottwmillar

Location: New Zealand, Gender: Male, Age: 33

Han Tang House

Xi'an, China

I had a great time staying at Han Tang House. The staff were always obliging and helpful, and made me feel at home. The cafe / bar area is a nice place to have a drink and some great food. The hostel is also in an excellent location in a peaceful alley, near to many great restaurants, sights and the subway station. I'd love to come back in the future if I get the chance to visit Xi'an again.

• 14th Nov 2014

Yamen Hostel

Pingyao, China

I enjoyed staying at Yamen Hostel. The location is excellent, the single room is clean and comfortable, and the lounge had a nice atmosphere. The staff ahelped me and other travelers plan day trips, transport and accommodation in other places. I hope to come back one day.

• 11th Nov 2014

Homeros Pension

Selcuk, Turkey

I agree with the other travellers who said that this place is like a home away from home. I had probably the most welcoming introduction to a hostel from the wonderful staff here, and they were consistently friendly, helpful and easy to chat to. The room was spotless, the decor and furnishings were fascinating, the breakfast was superb, and the staff had lots of useful advice about the area and local transport. I wish I could have stayed longer, and highly recommend Homeros to everyone!

• 22nd Nov 2013

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

This is easily one of the best hostels I've stayed in! The staff here were awesome...really helpful and genuinely interested in making the most of your trip. The free meals were excellent, as was the common area which made it easy to meet lots of interesting people. The hostel is also in a quiet location very close to the town's fortress. Free internet use, very clean rooms, super-fast laundry and lots of travel advice from the staff capped it all off. Highly recommended!

• 28th Oct 2013

Crosspoint Sofia Hostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

This was a simple and pleasant place to stay. The staff were always cheerful and friendly, and the hostel is close to an interesting pedestrian/tram street with lots of nice restaurants and stores, plus the historic centre of town. It was quite difficult to find though, as the entrance is in a back street and not well sign-posted. I enjoyed my stay here though and would happily return if I'm in Sofia again.

• 25th Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Valentin's Rooms is in a quiet part of town, very close to the bus station, several supermarkets and about 10-15 minutes walk from the historic centre and the lake. Mr Valentin is very friendly and helpful; not only did he explain all of the sights in town, but also suggested trips further away and where to get different types of food. The room was excellent value for money and very comfortable. I'd certainly recommend here and hope I can return one day!

• 21st Oct 2013

Hotel Kastoria - Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki, Greece

This hotel is a pleasant, if somehwat standard and basic, place to stay. The old building it's in is nice, and my room was a decent size. It got quite hot at night though, so I had to leave all the windows open and sleep with the noise from the street (not too bad). The shared bathrooms were clean. It's within walking distance to many of the sites in Thessaloniki, and if you don't like walking you can catch a bus from near the entrance. I'd recommend here if you are on a budget.

• 15th Oct 2013

Fivos

Athens, Greece

I had a really good time staying at the Fivos Hotel. The location is excellent, within close waling distance of all the major archaeological sites in Athens, and some interesting markets. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating, and they assisted me with numerous enquiries during my stay. My room was small and basic, but I thought the value-for-money was excellent; when you're traveling on your own you don't need much space anyway! I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• 2nd Oct 2013

Central Hotel

Tel Aviv, Israel

I really enjoyed my stay here. There is a lovely garden out the back to have breakfast, surf the Internet and relax. It's in a central location close to the beach and main shopping areas. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, the room was comfortable and good value for money, and the hotel is very clean. I would highly recommend this place to others!

• 30th Sep 2013

Palm Hostel

Jerusalem, Israel

The Palm Hostel is in an excellent location, just a minute walk from the old city and near to some good stores and restaurants. My room was very small and basic for the price, but I think that goes with the territory in Israel. They sold me an interesting day tour to Bethlehem and Jericho which I'd recommend if you have a larger group (it was quite expensive for fewer people). The breakfast was a nice start to the day too.

• 24th Sep 2013

Cliff Hotel

Amman, Jordan

The Cliff Hotel is great, especially designed for travellers on a budget. The staff, particularly Andrew, were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help and give advice about Amman's attractions, restaurants and tours. I had some awesome chats to the staff here too. You also oculdn't ask for a better location, right in the middle of Amman's downtown area, with the King Hussein Mosque, Citadel, Roman Theatre and Rainbow Street all within easy walking distance. Highly recommended!

• 10th Sep 2013

Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse

Hanoi, Vietnam

The Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse is an excellent place to stay! I really enjoyed my time here, mainly because of the awesome staff who did everything they could to make my trip memorable. Everyone was always so friendly and cheerful...thank you to all! I booked a great tour to Halong Bay plus my open tour bus from here, and these were all wonderful. The room was very spacious and clean, and coffee and tea were never far away. I'd love to return here one day and highly recommend it to others!

• 28th May 2013

Love Lane Inn

Penang, Malaysia

This was a nice place to stay, in a very central location near to all the historic sites in central Georgetown. My room was very hot though, and the fan didn't do much. The staff were really helpful and friendly. I'd recommend here if you want a simple and cheap place to stay in Penang.

• 23rd May 2013

Kang Travellers Lodge

Tanah Rata, Malaysia

There was a nice mix of people staying here, and it was easy to interact with lots of travellers because of the spacious common area. My room was clean but basic. The shared bathrooms were also very clean. The staff were helpful and pleasant. The hostel is located in a small and quiet side street; it was nice being away from the main street but I didn't always appreciate the barking dogs nearby (not the hostel's fault, though). It's a pleasant place to stay.

• 18th May 2013

KB Backpackers Lodge

Kota Bharu, Malaysia

This was a pleasant and relaxing place to stay. The location is excellent, right in the centre of the city, and the staff are friendly and helpful. I will return here next time I'm in KB!

• 16th May 2013

Mercury Backpackers Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

I had a great time staying at Mercury Hostel. The dorm room and bathrooms are always clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the location is excellent (just a few minutes walk from Lavender MRT). I would recommend staying here and would happily return next time I'm in Singapore.

• 7th May 2013

Green Mango Inn

Manila, Philippines

We really enjoyed our stay at the Green Mango Inn and wish it could have been for longer. I've stayed in a few places in Manila and this is by far the cleanest and friendliest of them. The staff were excellent - very helpful and prompt to deal with any questions. The garden and bar areas were relaxing and peaceful places to hang out. I'm looking forward to returning here in the future.

• 2nd Jan 2012
  • New Zealand

Hello, a gazillion thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Hi to our wonderful New Zealand guests, glad you are happy with your stay at garden-style Green Mango Inn :) Yes, our young, hardworking staff not only friendly, but make sure our place is very clean. We know your beautiful country New Zealand is clean & nice, that's why famous movies like LAST SAMURAI & LORD OF THE RINGS shot there. Laidback place here ideal for international travellers to enjoy life & compare travel stories, and we offer AFFORDABLE & REASONABLE PRICES of rooms & dorm beds, half or less prices of other hostels, because we passionately love travelling ourselves. We want to promote good travelling experiences to all tourists, including young people like you & me :) Once again, thank you, happy Chinese New Year, CHEERS to endless exciting travels!

I thought this was an excellent place to stay. The room was great value for money, very clean and comfortable. The location was great as it's very close to a subway station and the area around is interesting and quiet. I'd recommend this hostel to others as a clean and simple place to stay.

This is a clean and pleasant place to stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hostel has a range of great value tours and night shows. Excellent location close to many interesting sights, and a subway station for trips further afield. I have no hesitation in recommending this hostel and look forward to returning in the future.

Cordial House Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

This is a comfortable and clean hostel in an excellent location, very close to the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya. The staff were always friendly and helpful answering my questions, and the tour desk is efficient and not expensive. Thanks everyone, look forward to returning here someday!

New Palace Hotel

Cairo, Egypt

This is an excellent place to stay. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is relaxed. I enjoyed eating and drinking at the restaurant. I highly recommend Amigo Tours (working from the hostel), who can efficiently arrange all your travels around Egypt (Luxor and Aswan trips were awesome). There is a nice mix of locals and foreign travelers, and I met some interesting people. I look forward to returning in the near future! Thanks everyone for making my trip so great.

Hotel Raizan South

Osaka, Japan

This hotel is an excellent place to stay in Osaka. It is right next to a subway station on the main line, and also the JR and Nankai stations are just down the street. The room I had was small and comfortable, and the public baths were very useful and relaxing. I also found the staff to be very considerate and friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to go back here again when I'm next in Osaka.

Moon Lodge

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Great staff and an excellent location make this hostel a top pick. I walked everywhere I wanted to go - it\'s very easy to visit all the major attractions in the city from here. It\'s right in the middle of the vibrant Chinatown area. Excellent staff - very friendly and helpful, and I found John in particular to have some great advice on many things you might need to know. The lounge on the roof is a great place to relax at any time. I\'d definitely return here when next in KL.

Trekkers Lodge Kota Kinabalu

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Excellent hostel with very friendly, helpful and informative staff, and a nice relaxed atmosphere. It\'s in a central and convenient location, close to everything you would want. I enjoyed my time here, wouldn\'t hesitate to go back and recommend the same to everyone else!