Reviews: scottwmillar

Location New Zealand, Gender Male, Age 35

7th Nov 2016

I had a great stay in this new hostel right in the city center of Leshan. It's within walking distance to the river, many restaurants (including a great street food area and upmarket shopping center) and several bus stops. The staff were friendly and helpful and my room was completely spotless. It was a nice place to relax after a day of sightseeing around the town, and I hope I can visit again some day.

6th Nov 2016

This is one of the best places I've stayed at during my travels in many countries. My private room was very clean and comfortable, the staff were always very kind, helpful and friendly, and the cook serves up some amazing local and western food here (I live in China and this food is better than many restaurants). There is a nice down-to-earth atmosphere in the place, with lots of people relaxing and playing games in the common area. It also has a fantastic location next to a metro station.

Thanks for your nice comments, we will do it better looking forward to see you again :)

Depa House, Ubud, Indonesia
29th Jul 2016

This is one of the nicest places I have stayed in. The room was spacious and very clean, breakfast was delicious and varied each day, and the staff were always kind and attentive. I took an excellent 1-day tour around many of the sites near Ubud, run by the owner (I think it's the Kintamani-Volcano tour in the guidebook provided in your room), and he also dropped me off at my next hotel in Legian. It's near to a variety of great restaurants, cafes and sites. I highly recommend staying here!

28th Mar 2016

This is an excellent place to stay. It has everything a traveler could want - food and drink, maps, lots of tour and transport advice, helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms, excellent lockers for security, and a good location in a peaceful neighborhood just a short walk from the Old Town. Highly recommended!

wooohoooo. many thanks!!!

24th Mar 2016

This is a pleasant, nicely designed hostel right in the center of Fussen town. It's easy to walk to the train station, many restaurants and the mountains from here. The staff were very friendly and helpful (they gave great restaurant recommendations), and the room spotless. Check in is only at very specific times, but they will let you leave your luggage in the basement during the day. I had a good stay here and I'd certainly recommend it to others.

Euro Youth Hostel, Munich, Germany
20th Mar 2016

The Euro Youth Hostel is a good, clean place to stay. It's very near the train station, and a short walk to the monuments and buildings of the Old Town, museums and English Garden. I didn't eat here but they always seemed to have a buzzing bar and restaurant. I'd return here if I come back to Munich.

8th Feb 2016

I enjoyed my stay here. The hostel is in a peaceful area, next to a bus stop to take you to the train and long distance bus stations. It's a relaxed place, and the staff are friendly. The double room was very spacious and clean; excellent value for money. As a bonus, they also served up some nice food for dinner.

27th Oct 2015

The staff at the hostel were extremely kind and helpful, and the place is clean and in a fairly quiet (new) location across the bridge from the old part of town. It seemed that they could arrange transpirt or tours to almost anywhere in the Anhui region, although I had already been to most places and didn't take advantage of this. I'd like to stay here foflonger in the future.

Thanks dear for the nice comments. Yes, we locate in a place which is very clean and fairly quiet acrrose the bridge from the famous old street. Hopefully you could stay longer with us in the future~~

Han Tang House, Xi'an, China
14th Nov 2014

I had a great time staying at Han Tang House. The staff were always obliging and helpful, and made me feel at home. The cafe / bar area is a nice place to have a drink and some great food. The hostel is also in an excellent location in a peaceful alley, near to many great restaurants, sights and the subway station. I'd love to come back in the future if I get the chance to visit Xi'an again.

Yamen Hostel, Pingyao, China
11th Nov 2014

I enjoyed staying at Yamen Hostel. The location is excellent, the single room is clean and comfortable, and the lounge had a nice atmosphere. The staff ahelped me and other travelers plan day trips, transport and accommodation in other places. I hope to come back one day.

Homeros Pension, Selcuk, Turkey
22nd Nov 2013

I agree with the other travellers who said that this place is like a home away from home. I had probably the most welcoming introduction to a hostel from the wonderful staff here, and they were consistently friendly, helpful and easy to chat to. The room was spotless, the decor and furnishings were fascinating, the breakfast was superb, and the staff had lots of useful advice about the area and local transport. I wish I could have stayed longer, and highly recommend Homeros to everyone!

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
28th Oct 2013

This is easily one of the best hostels I've stayed in! The staff here were awesome...really helpful and genuinely interested in making the most of your trip. The free meals were excellent, as was the common area which made it easy to meet lots of interesting people. The hostel is also in a quiet location very close to the town's fortress. Free internet use, very clean rooms, super-fast laundry and lots of travel advice from the staff capped it all off. Highly recommended!

Crosspoint Sofia Hostel, Sofia, Bulgaria
25th Oct 2013

This was a simple and pleasant place to stay. The staff were always cheerful and friendly, and the hostel is close to an interesting pedestrian/tram street with lots of nice restaurants and stores, plus the historic centre of town. It was quite difficult to find though, as the entrance is in a back street and not well sign-posted. I enjoyed my stay here though and would happily return if I'm in Sofia again.

Valentin Apartments and Rooms, Ohrid, Macedonia
21st Oct 2013

Valentin's Rooms is in a quiet part of town, very close to the bus station, several supermarkets and about 10-15 minutes walk from the historic centre and the lake. Mr Valentin is very friendly and helpful; not only did he explain all of the sights in town, but also suggested trips further away and where to get different types of food. The room was excellent value for money and very comfortable. I'd certainly recommend here and hope I can return one day!

Hotel Kastoria - Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
15th Oct 2013

This hotel is a pleasant, if somehwat standard and basic, place to stay. The old building it's in is nice, and my room was a decent size. It got quite hot at night though, so I had to leave all the windows open and sleep with the noise from the street (not too bad). The shared bathrooms were clean. It's within walking distance to many of the sites in Thessaloniki, and if you don't like walking you can catch a bus from near the entrance. I'd recommend here if you are on a budget.

Fivos, Athens, Greece
2nd Oct 2013

I had a really good time staying at the Fivos Hotel. The location is excellent, within close waling distance of all the major archaeological sites in Athens, and some interesting markets. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating, and they assisted me with numerous enquiries during my stay. My room was small and basic, but I thought the value-for-money was excellent; when you're traveling on your own you don't need much space anyway! I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Central Hotel, Tel Aviv, Israel
30th Sep 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. There is a lovely garden out the back to have breakfast, surf the Internet and relax. It's in a central location close to the beach and main shopping areas. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, the room was comfortable and good value for money, and the hotel is very clean. I would highly recommend this place to others!

Palm Hostel, Jerusalem, Israel
7.7
24th Sep 2013

The Palm Hostel is in an excellent location, just a minute walk from the old city and near to some good stores and restaurants. My room was very small and basic for the price, but I think that goes with the territory in Israel. They sold me an interesting day tour to Bethlehem and Jericho which I'd recommend if you have a larger group (it was quite expensive for fewer people). The breakfast was a nice start to the day too.

Cliff Hotel, Amman, Jordan
10th Sep 2013

The Cliff Hotel is great, especially designed for travellers on a budget. The staff, particularly Andrew, were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help and give advice about Amman's attractions, restaurants and tours. I had some awesome chats to the staff here too. You also oculdn't ask for a better location, right in the middle of Amman's downtown area, with the King Hussein Mosque, Citadel, Roman Theatre and Rainbow Street all within easy walking distance. Highly recommended!

Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse, Hanoi, Vietnam
28th May 2013

The Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse is an excellent place to stay! I really enjoyed my time here, mainly because of the awesome staff who did everything they could to make my trip memorable. Everyone was always so friendly and cheerful...thank you to all! I booked a great tour to Halong Bay plus my open tour bus from here, and these were all wonderful. The room was very spacious and clean, and coffee and tea were never far away. I'd love to return here one day and highly recommend it to others!

Love Lane Inn, Penang, Malaysia
23rd May 2013

This was a nice place to stay, in a very central location near to all the historic sites in central Georgetown. My room was very hot though, and the fan didn't do much. The staff were really helpful and friendly. I'd recommend here if you want a simple and cheap place to stay in Penang.

Kang Travellers Lodge, Tanah Rata, Malaysia
18th May 2013

There was a nice mix of people staying here, and it was easy to interact with lots of travellers because of the spacious common area. My room was clean but basic. The shared bathrooms were also very clean. The staff were helpful and pleasant. The hostel is located in a small and quiet side street; it was nice being away from the main street but I didn't always appreciate the barking dogs nearby (not the hostel's fault, though). It's a pleasant place to stay.

KB Backpackers Lodge, Kota Bharu, Malaysia
16th May 2013

This was a pleasant and relaxing place to stay. The location is excellent, right in the centre of the city, and the staff are friendly and helpful. I will return here next time I'm in KB!

Mercury Backpackers Hostel, Singapore, Singapore
7th May 2013

I had a great time staying at Mercury Hostel. The dorm room and bathrooms are always clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the location is excellent (just a few minutes walk from Lavender MRT). I would recommend staying here and would happily return next time I'm in Singapore.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
Green Mango Inn, Manila, Philippines
2nd Jan 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Green Mango Inn and wish it could have been for longer. I've stayed in a few places in Manila and this is by far the cleanest and friendliest of them. The staff were excellent - very helpful and prompt to deal with any questions. The garden and bar areas were relaxing and peaceful places to hang out. I'm looking forward to returning here in the future.

Hello, a gazillion thanks!!! :) Hi to our wonderful New Zealand guests, glad you are happy with your stay at garden-style Green Mango Inn :) Yes, our young, hardworking staff not only friendly, but make sure our place is very clean. We know your beautiful country New Zealand is clean & nice, that's why famous movies like LAST SAMURAI & LORD OF THE RINGS shot there. Laidback place here ideal for international travellers to enjoy life & compare travel stories, and we offer AFFORDABLE & REASONABLE PRICES of rooms & dorm beds, half or less prices of other hostels, because we passionately love travelling ourselves. We want to promote good travelling experiences to all tourists, including young people like you & me :) Once again, thank you, happy Chinese New Year, CHEERS to endless exciting travels!

9.3
1st Oct 2010

I thought this was an excellent place to stay. The room was great value for money, very clean and comfortable. The location was great as it's very close to a subway station and the area around is interesting and quiet. I'd recommend this hostel to others as a clean and simple place to stay.

24th Aug 2010

This is a clean and pleasant place to stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hostel has a range of great value tours and night shows. Excellent location close to many interesting sights, and a subway station for trips further afield. I have no hesitation in recommending this hostel and look forward to returning in the future.

Cordial House Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
14th Dec 2009

This is a comfortable and clean hostel in an excellent location, very close to the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya. The staff were always friendly and helpful answering my questions, and the tour desk is efficient and not expensive. Thanks everyone, look forward to returning here someday!

New Palace Hotel, Cairo, Egypt
26th Nov 2009

This is an excellent place to stay. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is relaxed. I enjoyed eating and drinking at the restaurant. I highly recommend Amigo Tours (working from the hostel), who can efficiently arrange all your travels around Egypt (Luxor and Aswan trips were awesome). There is a nice mix of locals and foreign travelers, and I met some interesting people. I look forward to returning in the near future! Thanks everyone for making my trip so great.

Hotel Raizan South, Osaka, Japan
27th Jan 2009

This hotel is an excellent place to stay in Osaka. It is right next to a subway station on the main line, and also the JR and Nankai stations are just down the street. The room I had was small and comfortable, and the public baths were very useful and relaxing. I also found the staff to be very considerate and friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to go back here again when I'm next in Osaka.

Moon Lodge, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8th Aug 2007

Great staff and an excellent location make this hostel a top pick. I walked everywhere I wanted to go - it\'s very easy to visit all the major attractions in the city from here. It\'s right in the middle of the vibrant Chinatown area. Excellent staff - very friendly and helpful, and I found John in particular to have some great advice on many things you might need to know. The lounge on the roof is a great place to relax at any time. I\'d definitely return here when next in KL.

Trekkers Lodge Kota Kinabalu, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
1st Aug 2007

Excellent hostel with very friendly, helpful and informative staff, and a nice relaxed atmosphere. It\'s in a central and convenient location, close to everything you would want. I enjoyed my time here, wouldn\'t hesitate to go back and recommend the same to everyone else!