Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 48

Greenhouse Backpacker

Melbourne, Australia

Terrific central location.Very close to Flinders St station and Federation Square. Not to mention the awesome cafes and coffee of Degraves St and Centre Place. The facilities were good with a large kitchen, TV lounge and rooftop area. The staff were really excellent and especially so when I had a little problem with some bites in the night. Really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return. They even loan you a Myki Card if you give your passport as a deposit.

• 18th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

The second time I have stayed here and both times it was a great experience. Great staff and clean modern bathrooms. A small kitchen downstairs was handy and a fridge as well...although a larger one would be great. The area is very student orientated with cafes and bars and everything you could need. Thanks to Bianca and her staff for another fine stay.

• 26th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

Dear Paul thank you very much for your comment. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for beeing such a good guest. We are looking forward to see you again. Kind regards Bianca and the Meininger-Team

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

A great hostel,conveniently located at Munich HBF and surrounded by food outlets & shops. It is very clean with excellent bathrooms,free wifi & a fun bar. The buffet breakfast is awesome value at 3:80 euro. However, the staff are what makes this place so special. The front desk is manned by the most helpful & happy staff. Phil,the Aussie, went out of his way to be super helpful & nice...like all of the staff there. Do Ozzy's Walking Tour too. He is amazing and so interesting. 10/10. Stay here!

• 22nd Aug 2013

Hostel Mondpalast

Dresden, Germany

A great value for money hostel in an interesting student area awash with cool bars, great cafes and a relaxed hip grunge vibe.The staff were very friendly and helpful. Small kitchen is great for the buget. Have stayed before

• 15th Aug 2013

A&O Dresden Hauptbahnhof

Dresden, Germany

Typical A

• 13th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

A pleasant hostel on a busy street but with friendly staff, clean bathrooms and a small kitchen for the budget conscious. Short walk to old town and train station. However, being tired( and a bit stupid perhaps) I could not find the hostel from their vague directions. When you get off at tram stop it is on the opposite side of road to Mediamarkt building and way up the road heading away from the Hbf. High up on building it says HOSTEL but Sleepy Lion sign in side street is tiny. Good luck.

• 12th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

This great hostel is located in a cool student area with lots of interesting bars, cafes, shops and beer gardens. The staff, lead by Bianca (and others such as JP, Wesley and the rest) are SO helpful and friendly. The dorms are clean and with lockers & spaces for your stuff. The sparkling white bathrooms have liquid soap & plentiful hot water. There is a small kitchen for cooking & there are many supermarkets or restaurants close by. There is a bar for socialising & free wifi. Loved my stay.

• 3rd Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

The whole staff at MEININGER wants to thank you for your lovely comment and the rating! Working with guests like yourself is what makes us love our job. So you are always welcome to visit us another time, hopefully soon, at our beautifull city of cologne!

CIS de Champagne

Reims, France

Clean functional hostel with very helpful and friendly staff. There is a tram to the city centre close by but its not a long walk anyway. Try to avoid a room facing the freeway as it was loud and in Summer you need the windows open. Little atmosphere as its like an institution but ok. The plastic bathroom in our room was very mobile home

• 30th Jul 2013

Smart Place Paris

Paris, France

The staff were super friendly and helpful. A nice hostel with excellent bathrooms and generally solid facilities very close to Gare du Nord and Montmarte. Free lockers in the foyer were great too. There were supermarkets very close and transport too.The road is noisy and it was hard to sleep in the hot weather because we needed to windows open. Overall, I liked the hostel and the staff and would definitely stay here again.

• 26th Jul 2013

Atlantic Hostel

Essaouira, Morocco

Great hostel in a stylish old building with loads of atmosphere,an excellent vibe and lots of comfortable lounge areas. Yahya is THE most welcoming host,who is super helpful and happy all the time. The place is great value for money. Being old means that the building has a touch of grunge that is colourful and adds to the experience.Definitely a wonderful place if you are not too precious about perfect hot water and super security. I loved this hostel and would definitely stay again. Marvellous

• 13th Jul 2013

La Casa Del Sol

Marrakech, Morocco

SO disappointing. I booked a single room with air conditioning because I knew the temps would be in the 40C area. There is NO AIR CONDITIONING and no cable TV despite the fact that they advertise BOTH. If you are staying with your partner and need nobody else around, then this very cute and quiet place, close to the main square, is definitely the place for you. Quiet as a graveyard. I baked in my airless room at night, especially the 44C day and when it's still 37C at midnight.. OMG!!

• 6th Jul 2013

Canberra City YHA

Canberra, Australia

A generally clean,modern hostel with great kitchen facilities. Sadly, the hot water in the 1st floor showers was very inconsistent...cannot imagine that being very good in the depths of a Canberra Winter! Centrally located, sunny and comfortable with helpful staff. I would recommend this place for sure.

• 31st Mar 2013

Melbourne Central YHA

Melbourne, Australia

Clean,secure,modern hostel in a very central location. I was greeted by THE friendliest guy at the front desk upon arrival and his great attitude was just the same as all the staff. Spotlessly clean bathrooms and kitchen. Despite having to pay for wifi, it was only $5 for 1 day and cheaper for longer periods. I could walk to Federation Square and there were trams directly outside.Try to get a room away from Flinders St traffic noise and you will sleep well.One of the best. HIGHLY recommended.

• 19th Jan 2013

Old Penang GuestHouse

Penang, Malaysia

A really beautiful and chilled guest house in a good location, in the old part of George Town, and a minute's walk from the bus stop and BEAUTIFUL cheap food stalls. The staff were very friendly,happy and helpful. Nice ,clean shared bathrooms and the plentiful amounts of fruit with breakfast was a standout! My single room was basic but clean and comfortable (with a/c). They lock the front door at 11pm but u just ring a bell to get in. Would DEFINITELY stay @ The Old Penang again.

• 9th Jul 2012

Sepilok Jungle Resort

Sandakan, Malaysia

Great big huge place only a few minutes away from the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. Beautiful setting with nice gardens, and bridges on the small lake. Good restaurant with a big menu and a friendly staff. Great place for a family as the kids could use the pool with a little waterslide... (for a small fee mind you). Basic dorms were adequate although the place is starting to look a little old. Recommended however.

• 7th Jul 2012

Sepilok Forest Edge Resort

Sandakan, Malaysia

A wonderful place with THE most friendly and happy staff ever! Beautiful location, however I would also recommend the chalet rooms for a quieter sleep and great views from their balconies. Try the satay sticks in coconut sauce...my personal fave from the restaurant. The candlelights along the path were a nice touch too. Small and FRIENDLY place to stay. No dorms I think.

• 5th Jul 2012

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This really a VERY good hostel with clean facilities and a very central location. Unfortunately for me,I could not sleep in the double room at the front of the building due to the CONSTANT street noise below.However, Patrick was wonderful and refunded my money for the next night and gave me a 50% discount on my sleepless night. It is obvious to me that he cares about the people that stay at his hostel and is not just about making money.Definitely recommend a stay here,just not the front room.

• 4th Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for sparing the time to rate our hostel. We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the street noise. We are located right in the heart of the city and thus have some noise from the traffic below. However, We hope that this hasn't spoiled your views of Kuala Lumpur and you come back again in the future and book a room without a window.

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Definitely recommended for central position,good clean facilities and great staff. Very close to the Bukit Bintang monorail station and a couple of minutes to Jalan Alor food street. Excellent owner in Patrick...very friendly and helpful.

Adelaide Central YHA

Adelaide, Australia

Great facilities and good location. Excellent kitchen and staff. Would recommend HIGHLY except that my bed had an old mattress with a valley in the middle. Very good hostel overall and the staff were great.

• 15th Apr 2012

Barossa Backpackers

Barossa Valley, Australia

Really liked this hostel set right in the Chateau Tanunda Winery. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the rooms/kitchen/lounge were all very modern and clean. We did the bicycle tour of the local wineries and had a great time. The perfect place to stay if you want to enjoy wine tasting in the Barossa Valley.

• 13th Apr 2012

Adelaide Central YHA

Adelaide, Australia

Very good hostel. Rooms & bathrooms were very clean and well-appointed...large lockers, air con rooms, hair dryers & even shampoo racks in the showers. Plenty of hot water & lots of showers. The huge kitchen had loads of sinks, gas cookers, cutlery, crockery & clean tea towels. The Front Desk staff were super helpful & happy. Cameron's cheery welcome when i arrived really set a positive tone for my stay. Pity my mattress needs replacing! Rm 212 lower bed right of window:BEWARE. The worst ever!

• 11th Apr 2012

Urban Central

Melbourne, Australia

A clean and well-appointed hostel that is neither bad nor outstandingly good. The location, next to a freeway overpass and two very busy roads is a BIG minus. The staff were very helpful and friendly but its inconvenient and ugly location would stop me from staying here again.The air-conditioned rooms are good but the a/c in my room made so much noise that I needed earplugs to sleep with it on. Room 124 is adjacent to an outside deck and some nights people sat there and made a lot of noise.

• 18th Jan 2012

Hostel Baccarat

Nice, France

Good hostel in a very convenient location to station and tram. The a/c is essential for Nice in Summer. The staff were very friendly and helpful but internet was useless a lot of the time...go to the hotel up the stairs in the garden to use their wifi....it works. The rooms are cleaned but at 9:20 some mornings when I was trying to sleep? Bang, crash... WTF? Be prepared for that one! Overall, a good solid hostel which for Nice was not too expensive. Would certainly recommend and I enjoyed it.

• 1st Aug 2011

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

• 11th Jul 2011

Academica Summer Hostel

Helsinki, Finland

Super helpful and very very friendly front desk staff. Thanks to all of you. I had just been robbed on my way to Helsinki (be very careful on the Metro in St Petersburg) and they went out of their way to be helpful and supportive. The 2nd time I have stayed and I would highly recommend the place. Lots of free computers available...they saved my life with all the emergency emailing I had to do and I had no money or cards.

• 9th Jul 2011

Tiger Tims Place

Budapest, Hungary

GREAT hostel! Tim's the most chilled and welcoming host,& with Rob,his assistant,they always made you feel very welcome & cared for.Even people who couldnt stay because it was fully booked were invited to come back and join the group party when they went out at night.I cant recommend this hostel highly enough.Except,try to avoid Room 1 as it opens onto the common area & one morning some staff barged in early,noisely cleaned,stripped beds and left the door wide open.12 noon checkout is gr8 too.

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

I found this to be an excellent hostel where the facilities were very good and the staff were super friendly and extra helpful. I heard from others that their hostel in Bratislava was nothing compared to Hostel Blues,and I would believe it.The staff REALLY made you feel welcome. Thanks...I REALLY enjoyed staying at your hostel.

Prague Square Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

A bit noisey from the street and nearby bars but the staff were excellent.It was funny that there was almost no room between the two bunks in our room.We had to squeeze between them and turn sidewys to get through.The bathroom on our floor had no lock,which meant people opened the door on you.ooops! We used the bigger,lockable bathroon,downstairs instead. I would happily recommend this hostel

Wombats City Hostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

For a big hostel I thought it was great...even though I prefer the smaller moreĀ“get to know eachother`places. The rooms and lockers have high tech security and the facilities are very clean and modern. The staff were helpful and friendly at all times. The location was easy to get to and there were cool restaurants and bars close by.There was a nice rooftop bar area as well. A very very good hostel and I would recommend it to anyone.

The place was Ok but the owner,I think his name was Roberto, had a real attitude problem with me because i said that the directions to the hostel were wrong. he immediately attacked me and raised his voice and got very angry. I was really shocked as this has never happened to me anywhere in the world and I have stayed in literally hundreds of hostels.As it turned out,I was correct and he apologised to me,BUT I coulkd never recommend this hostel to anyone when it is run by someone who doesnt listen to a fair comment by a client and then abuses and belittles anyone who dares say anything to him.It was really outrageous to say the least. fortunately,there was a nice staff member who looked after me and calmed me down.I wanted to leave immediately. Sorry to send such a negative email but the treatment and attitude I received from the owner was APPALLING!!!