Gender: Female,

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

This was my second stay at this hostel/hotel. Impossible to find fault with the accommodations. My friend and I stayed in a twin private with private bath. It was clean and comfortable at a good price. Staff was smiling and helpful. If you are arriving or departing Montreal by Greyhound bus, it's ideal (and I believe you can even get the airport shuttle right from the Greyhound station, so it should be easy for the airport too). Metro nearby. St. Denis's lively atmosphere a few feet away.

• 11th Sep 2013

Planet Traveler

Toronto, Canada

As a traveller who has stayed in many great hostels in Europe and SEAsia, I tend to be disappointed by hostels in North America. I'm pleased to say that Planet Traveler is an exception! The quality of the accommodations and the value for money matches the experience of staying in a top-rated European hostel. It was easy to meet people, the breakfast was excellent, the rooms were well-designed, and the rooftop terrace was lovely on a nice summer evening. Well done Planet Traveler! And thanks!

• 3rd Jul 2013

Soul Kitchen

St Petersburg, Russia

This place was so great! The owners' and staff's attention to detail was impressive: everything from the useful (power ports inside lockers), to the fun and quirky (pages from colouring books and markers in the loo) has been considered. The balcony is such a nice place to chill! And the kitchen indeed has soul. :) Travellers with an eye for good design and the desire to make good friends can choose no better place. Thank you for making me feel at home in Piter!

• 26th Jun 2013

Old Town Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

A homey little hostel with hosts who were very friendly, generous, and happy to share the things they love about Estonia. The only improvement I could suggest is having lockers for guests. Otherwise A+. The day trip to Laheema National Park was a great value for money and a nice way to get out of the city without your own wheels. Thanks Livius, Egle, and Anna for making me feel at home in beautiful Tallinn during those amazing long, long days of summer! :)

• 19th Jun 2013

Hostel Louna

Parnu, Estonia

This place was perfectly acceptable, however, considering Parnu is a beach town I would have appreciated a locker to store valuables. I carried my laptop around town with me in a backpack because I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the shared dorm room. Leaving it (and my passport, and my currency) lying on the beach didn't seem like a better option, so no swimming this time round for me. Parnu, tho, is lovely to walk around on a sunny day. Pretty little town, green parks, and a nice beach.

• 18th Jun 2013

Terviseks

Tartu, Estonia

This was a perfectly average hostel, in a perfectly average town. Not much to say about either in particular. I'll remember the people I met there more than the place itself. Bad timing (arrived on a Sunday when most bars close early, then most museums and attractions are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, and it rained, so options somewhat limited...) My roommates were awesome however, and we met some interesting local people in the pubs that were open, and that made the visit worthwhile.

• 16th Jun 2013

Pie Jana

Liepaja, Latvia

Looking for a beautiful, quiet place to stay for a couple of nights? Don't hesitate to choose this hostel. Immaculate bedroom and bathroom, very nice common area, in a real neighbourhood. It's quite central -- an easy walk to the train/bus station and to the centre of town -- easy access to other areas of interest (the beach reached on foot, and Karosta a short bus ride north). The beach in Liepaja was my favourite of all I visited in the Baltics. On a long, long June evening... glorious.

• 10th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

I've already reviewed this hostel. I liked it (and Riga) so much that I kept adding days to my stay there, so I ended up with two bookings. :) As I said before, Riga is a great place to use as a "base" for exploring Latvia, and this hostel makes you feel so comfortable that you won't want to leave, or (like I did), if you leave you'll come back! Thanks again Kristine!

• 8th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

This might go down in history as my favourite hostel ever, anywhere. Kristine was a perfect host. The advice she provided was very valuable. The hostel was a relaxed, quiet place to be, yet conducive to meeting people of all ages, walks of life, and nationalities. It had everything you might need to feel at home (free laundry, good kitchen). I used Riga as a base to explore other parts of Latvia: Rundale Palace, Kuldiga, Cesis, Sigulda, Gauja national park, and the seaside -- all easy day trips.

• 4th Jun 2013

HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel

Ottawa, Canada

Only stayed one night, but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. Though I wouldn't describe the place as homey, it is certainly unique and interesting. The biggest surprise was how good the free breakfast was. That makes staying there an excellent value for money.

• 7th Jan 2013

Barefoot Hostel

Ottawa, Canada

This is the most liveable of the three Ottawa hostels I've tried. It feels cozy, so I'd recommend it for longer stays. However, it is also the most expensive, so that makes it an average value for money. On the nights I stayed there it was cold in the upstairs rooms (though to be fair, it was January and -20C outside at that time). If you come in the winter, bring your warm pyjamas and some thick socks or slippers, and you'll be just fine!

• 2nd Jan 2013

Ottawa Backpackers Inn

Ottawa, Canada

Stayed only one night when flight back to Canada arrived too late to catch a bus to my hometown. It was quiet, good because I just wanted to rest after a long journey. The most disappointing part of my stay was the bed linen: The sheets were mismatched, and the pillowcase was worn with holes in it. Yuck. Kitchen facilities looked good (for those who like to self-cater). My room was in what resembled a student apartment in an old house (probably was just that at one time). Good WiFi connection.

• 19th Dec 2012

I-Bed

Koh Samui, Thailand

Probably most beautiful hostel I've ever stayed at. Beds were comfortable, top bunks easy to get in and out of. Curtains, reading light, power outlet, locker and mini T.V. set made bunk space feel really cozy. Only flaw in design was that you couldn't stand on the floor of the galley-style dorm room without somebody wanting to get past (tested this twice: before I could count to 3, someone came along and I was in the way - annoying). Kept stuff in the locker outside the room - more space there.

• 13th Dec 2012

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Only a short stay in Kuala Lumpur for me... two nights. However, this hostel was really comfortable and pleasant. A lot of thought and planning seems to have gone into this place. The dorms were extremely large, well-designed, clean and attractive. The nearby Indian restaurant that staff recommended was excellent. Access to the public transportation (light rail, monorail) was very good, which seems to me to be a huge blessing in KL. My advice is to stay off the roads! Traffic is impossible.

• 11th Dec 2012

5footway.inn Project Bugis

Singapore, Singapore

Great in some ways but had its faults. Common area and breakfast very nice. Beer (Hoegaarden...mmm) available for purchase at reception - nice touch. Bathrooms had little bugs like fruit flies and folding doors often off their tracks or locks broken. No windows in the rooms - easy to oversleep. Solo travellers may be a bit lonely - mostly groups here. Location in Kampong Glam excellent (try Golden Mile Food Centre for cheap eats, and yummy chicken murtabak at Zam Zam near Sultan Mosque).

• 5th Dec 2012
  • Globetrotter

This hostel walked the line well between being a homey, comfy place, and a fun, party place. I loved the location near Kata beach. I liked it so much, in fact, that I actually wanted to return later in my trip to do a PADI certification, but unfortunately I couldn't quite make it fit into my schedule. :( Well, Thailand is worth a second visit, and so is RNR hostel, so hopefully I'll get that chance to return sometime in the near future.

• 29th Nov 2012

Ayutthaya Place Youth Hostel

Ayutthaya, Thailand

Wanted to see Ayutthaya and booked this place, despite not-so-great reviews. There were ants in my room, so I kept everything in my bag on the chair in the room, and I didn't spend more time than necessary there. I stayed for two nights and enjoyed Ayutthaya: the city is nice, the evening boat tour is excellent, and the night market food will stay in my memory a long time (chicken roti and great little coconut cream pastries... to die for). Met nice people too. Overall, it was worth it.

• 28th Nov 2012

Thailandwow

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Noyna (the owner) and Khai (her brother) are two of the kindest, most helpful people you will meet. When in Chiang Mai, it's all about the activities (for example: trekking, cooking classes, thai boxing, traditional dance) and Noyna will be glad to assist you with your plans. Unless there's something she can't book for you, I suggest you book through the hostel. It's a win-win situation: Thailand Wow gets to make a little money and you get a good deal on excellent activities. Have fun! :)

• 21st Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you very much for your excellent comment we are very appreciate and wish you have great time wherever you go Lisa.

Smile Society

Bangkok, Thailand

The ladies who run this place are incredibly kind and helpful. The quality of the accommodations rivals some of the better hostels I've stayed in in Europe, and it was really easy to meet other travellers. With easy access to Suvarnabhumi airport, I'm going straight back to Smile society when I finish my loop of the country in a few weeks.

• 17th Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

I've been to Belgium three times, and hostels there are crap. So, I encourage everyone to readjust their expectations, suck it up, and pay a bit more for a bed and breakfast or a guesthouse. Just remember, the experience is a different one from a hostel. You are in someone's home, so it's more intimate. Please be flexible and respect your host. B3Guesthouse was great: clean, beautiful, secure, in the cool neighbourhood of St-Gilles. I wouldn't go anywhere else in Brussels. Thank you Philippe.

• 15th Apr 2012
  • Globetrotter

Stayokay Den Haag (The Hague)

The Hague, Netherlands

Excellent hostel. Staff was super friendly and the facilities were very clean. They had the best free hostel breakfast I've ever encountered, and the bar in the evening was a great place to wind down and check e-mail, while sipping a trappist beer. Some drawbacks: no guest kitchen, no laundry, no lockers in rooms (and the coin locker system on the main floor was out of order while I was there). Interesting mix of people: single travellers, school groups, friends & couples on holiday, families.

• 12th Apr 2012

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

Well, it wasn't cheap, once the 19% taxes were added, but would defo do it again. Usually rough it with a shared dorm room, but was with a novice traveller, so booked a twin-bed private room. More hotel than hostel, with private bathroom, towels, and little travel soaps and shampoos included. Squeaky clean, shiny floors (cold, cause room 20 is in the basement). Very quiet in the room, though it was Friday night and people upstairs were being festive. Parking at new bus station $9 for weekend.

• 30th Mar 2012
  • Globetrotter

This was my 2nd visit to St Christopher's in Paris. Overall, this hostel is great. Clean, bright, good breakfast, beer at Belushis on the way back in at the end of the day. The bad things were minor annoyances: the push-button showers only give 30 seconds or so or water before shutting off... you have to keep pumping; Lockers under beds were so squeaky I didn't dare use morning or night with others in the room, and the only locks to fit (none of my 3 worked!) are American "locker" style combination locks; n

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

An excellent hostel. I've stayed at both Wombat's and here and I slightly prefer this place, though both are a very good value for the price. My one criticism: the push-button showers that give about 10 seconds of water only. The water pressure is good, but it's frustrating to have to keep pushing for water. Much appreciated: the cleanliness, the wifi, and the big lockers with key included in the room.

Two excellent hosts in a lovely guest house made a Gatwick layover a very pleasant experience. I had almost a full 24hrs between flights, so I made the easy trip by train to Brighton, for fish and chips and a walk on the beach, and I still had plenty of time before and after to rest at the guest house. Breakfast was yummy, and tea and coffee in the room was a really nice touch.

Vegas Hostel

Bratislava, Slovakia

An extremely clean, bright dorm room was the highlight of my visit. As a bonus, it was only half full on the nights I visited... the bit of extra privacy and quiet was nice to have.

Flying Pig Downtown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Kudos for having a squeegee & good drainage in the ensuite bathroom. It was one of those with the shower/sink/toilet area all in one piece. Take a shower & the water spreads everywhere -- my hostel pet peeve. Be nice to roommates and use the squeegee! :) Blanket on bed a bit grungy, overall the place not so clean. Otherwise, very good. Great location, good lockers, good free internet.

1 nite only, but the place seemed quite excellent. Beautiful building, good free breakfast (inc. fruit, sadly lacking in many hostel breakfasts). The free internet access was very good. Pet peeve: As with other hostels, the showers... no border between shower and floor, water floods everywhere. Hang your clothes and pray that they don't fall. There should at least be a squeegie to gather excess water. Clean, but the water didn't drain well.

Poets Corner Hostel

Olomouc, Czech Republic

This is a very cozy place in a very cozy city. The owner of the hostel gave us a tour of some of the main sights on Saturday morning, which was lovely. Despite being in an 8-person dorm, I hardly noticed the comings and goings of others... maybe I was just really tired, but maybe it was also due to the comfy bed I slept in. Well worth a stay!

Dublin City Bunkhouse

Dublin, Ireland

This hostel has the best breakfast of any hostel I've seen -- and I've seen quite a few. It makes for an excellent value in an expensive city. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is great, with easy access to the airport shuttle, O'Connell street, Connelly station and Busaras. Pet peeve: like many other places that I've visited in Scandinavia and Northern Europe, they have these "open concept" bathrooms... it's ensuite, but there's no shower curtain, no demarkation between the shower and the rest of the bathroom floor, so water goes everywhere, people walk in with their shoes and it turns to mud. A squeegie would be much appreciated to gather up the water, post-shower.

The only drawback about this place was having to buy tokens for beer. I forgot to cash them in when checking out and I still have 4 Euros in unused tokens. Oh well. I suppose that's incentive to go back someday.

Die Boofe

Dresden, Germany

This place was clean and affordable. The yard out back was very pretty. I was there on a Sunday night, so the place was rather deserted. Note to people visiting Dresden: the shops are closed on Sundays, and the museums are closed on Mondays, so don't arrive around then unless you plan to chill! The hostel's neighbourhood had character. Not glossy touristy. A bit far from the historical centre. More than bit rough around the edges. Seemed like a center for alternative lifestyles. Squeeky clean types might not be impressed, but to me all this was just fine.

Jetpak Jumpdesk

Berlin, Germany

This is a nice little hostel with friendly people and clean rooms. The atmosphere was great... lots of Mac lovers, like me! The free internet connection was wonderful. Drawbacks: not much hot water in the showers, and less lockers available than beds... so watch your gadgets! Otherwise, a lovely little place.

Equity Point Gothic

Barcelona, Spain

I enjoyed this hostel over all. The location is in the Barri Gothic. It is atmospheric by day and a bit spooky by night, due to its gothic nature. If you are travelling alone and want to play it safe, the city tour bus takes you to many outlying regions of the city and makes a stop near the cathedral at the very end of the south line, leaving you about 2 blocks from the hostel at the end of your day. I took a cab from the train station and the cab driver did not know Vigatans street. That´s because it´s a pedestrian street at the edge of the winding maze, off Via Laietana. If you ask to be dropped off on Via Laietana near the Jaume 1 metro stop, you´ll be steps away from the hostel. Bring sandals for the shower, and a sleeping bag or sleep sheet since top sheets and blanket are extra. If you like to party and meet people, this place is great. The bunk system doesn´t block out sound, but it does afford you some privacy. My top bunk felt like a cozy little nest.