Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 44

Swanky Mint

Zagreb, Croatia

Reason for the poor grade on the staff is that I was insulted by one of them sitting in the kitchen. I was asked by her where I was from and when I told her, she said, "I'm sorry". Then she went on to insult my generation for lack of political and social contributions. So, within a few hours of checking in, my home and my generation were insulted. This was bad enough when I thought she was another guest, but then I learned she was a member of the staff. No problem with anything else. Shame.

Dear William, we are terribly sorry for the experience that you had with one of our's ex volunteers. If it means anything she apologies for the misunderstanding. According to her the things she said about your state, generation etc, were meant as a pun not as an insult. Hope we'll see you some time in the near future so we can smooth things out over some welcoming drinks at our bar ;) Safe travels! Lovro

Elite Guesthouse

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Great place. Owner/operator is on top of everything. Upon arrival, he gives a welcome briefing about what to do and see, where to eat, etc... He had heat already turned on in room and provided free laundry. In room, there was coffee, cable tv and spacious bathroom by local standards. Location is great, in the middle of shopping area and about a 300 meter walk to Old Town and Stari Most. Very clean. All around high marks for this hostel. Strongly recommended.

CroParadise Green Hostel

Split, Croatia

Swanky Mint

Zagreb, Croatia

The Backpackers Ritz of Johannesburg

Johannesburg, South Africa

Staff lacks understanding and acceptance of travelers issues like time zone changes and are generally unfriendly, at times, mocking. They behave like they are doing you a favor accepting your money. Place is run down and not well kept. No towels, soap, washing machines, tiny showers and toilets hard to maneuver in. Location is not bad, but still a 4-5 km walk to the Sandton train station. Local shopping mall nearby. Neighborhood seems safe as I was able to walk around at night with no issue

Marino Conference Centre

Dublin, Ireland

Perfect for staying on outskirts of Dublin. They are spare rooms in the dormitory of a small college. Included full Irish breakfast in cafeteria, 7-8 euro value. Huge computer lab where guests have access to internet. Costa coffee in the lobby. About one hour walk to downtown, 2.35 euro bus to O'Connell St. 24 hour concierge. Two large TV rooms and small kitchen areas with microwave but no oven. Very quiet, no kids making noise all night. Ideal for people who don't like the noise of hostels.

Bru Bar & Hostel

Cork, Ireland

This hostel is advertised as voted the 7th best hostel in the world by hostelworld.com. Not sure why this is. Postive things: (Security) Need keycard for several doors to rooms. Underbed storage baskets in rooms, but they do not lock. (Location) Short walk to downtown and to/from train station. (Price) Cheap dorms. Negative things: Small kitchen and TV room. TV doesn't work anyway.Staff did not know how to repair. Cold water in showers. Full bar on 1st floor but full of locals, not guests.