Location: Canada, Gender: Male, Age: 67

Urkmez Hotel

Selcuk, Turkey

This hotel has an absolutely fabulous breakfast included in the breakfast. Incredible variety and everything is fresh. A great way to start the day. While eating breakfast you can have view of the castle.

• 16th Aug 2014

Guzel Izmir Oteli

Izmir, Turkey

This hotel is quite reasonable for a short stay. If you are leaving or arriving by train the station is only 150 meters away and there are bus companies closer than that.

#bunk taksim

Istanbul, Turkey

While this hostel costs a bit more than average but you get an excellent product. It is all brand new and everything works. The security is the best I have ever seen with huge lockers with a combination of your choice. There are lots of spacious showers and toilets. While you have to pay for the breakfast it is very good.

• 7th Aug 2014

Thessaloniki Studios Arabas

Thessaloniki, Greece

This hostel was great for meeting people and the staff were great. It worked for me. Negatives were one locker for 6 people in a dorm, no air con and voracious mosquitoes. The owner cooked up some nice food available at reasonable prices. Drinks were also very reasonably priced.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Globetrotter

This hostel had excellent internet and staff. It was located within reasonable distance of transport and tourist attractions.It had some awkward design features like the smallest shower cubicles I have ever seen and the lack of a covered walkway between the two buildings. The courtyard garden was nice and the breakfast was below average but included in the room price. I was there for 7 nights and really struggled to find any quality restaurants within 11/2 serving anything else besides pizza.

Hostel 7 Santi

Florence, Italy

This hostel has an amazing dinner for 7 Euros. If you like partying, drinking and smoking it is the hostel for you. Ashtrays are provided on all of the dinner tables for smoker convenience The convent ambience is very nice. It is a very long way from the centre of Florence and even farther from the other side of the river where there more attractions.

Pride of Paddington

The $20 deposit borders on a scam. There are some ridiculous conditions to get it back. The advertised common room is not available. There is no common area in the hostel. I had to try 4 showers before I found one that was operable. My dorm room was full of flies and subject to bar and street noise. The breakfast was excellent.

• 7th Jun 2014

Comfort Hostel HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

By China or international standards the facilities in this hostel are very basic, but by Hong Kong standards it represents excellent value for money. The location is wonderful. I was in a separate section from the main hostel. That part worked really well for meeting people. The owner and staff are really nice. It should be noted hat compared to the rest of China there is not much of interest in Hong Kong except night life and shopping for luxury goods.

Asok Montri Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Due to an operation I was unable to leave this hostel so ended up spending 9 nights there. There were 4 toilet and shower rooms on the third floor. All were working when I arrived but within two days two were 'Out of Service' for the rest of the time I was there. In the third toilet the shower was broken and never properly fixed. The lock on the door did not work. The floors were kept very clean but above waist height there was grime and dirt everywhere.

96 Guesthouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

If you want a secure location in the heart of backpacker action. This is it. The manageress has excellent English and is exceptionally competent.

• 18th Jun 2013

Duc Vuong Hotel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Our room was filthy with cockroaches everywhere. During the day there was constuction noise and at night the noise from the street made sleep impossible. The staff at the desk were rude and refused to accept that we had already paid for the hotel so we were forced to pay twice for the one booking.

• 5th Jul 2012

Leynbaan Villa

Galle, Sri Lanka

After booking on Hostel World we arrived at this hotel to be told that they knew nothing about us. They said we could stay as there had been a cancellation (our booking?) but we would have to pay 3 times as much as the price we had booked and no consideration would be given for the deposit we had paid as Hostel World had not paid it to them. As no other accommodation was available we paid their exorbitant price but were very disappointed. Hostelworld cannot be contacted by e-mail.

Canberra City YHA

Canberra, Australia

Canberra only has two hostels and I spent more than a week in both. This one is way ahead of the other one. The rooms are big and clean. The air conditioning is turned off during the day but can be turned on in your room if you request it. The only negatives were in the kitchen. The pots and pans were in bad condition and there were no sharp knives. The microwaves were only cleaned once in two weeks.

• 21st Feb 2011

Phan Lan 2

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

This hostel represents excellent value for the money that you are paying. Normally, in Vietnam I do not let cleaners in my room unless I am there. On this occasion, having just arrived from a different country, I forgot. When I got to the next hotel I discovered that stuff I had left on the floor had been 'cleaned'. My fault, I guess, I knew better.

• 21st Aug 2010
  • Globetrotter

By Chinese standards this was quite a reasonable 'value for money' hostel. I really like the beds which were very comfortable. Useful information was prominently displayed on different levels. On the negative side the lockers were flimsy and there were very few budget restaurants near the hostel,

Dear Ronald Read, Thank you for your suggestion . We will be thank about to do something made the lockers more strong . Infact we made it already use the Metal strip to made the cabinet better , and also we think everyone come in youth hostel because they love trover , want to make friend , are good people . Take care ! cloudland yha jane

INNer City

Beijing, China

This hostel is an excellent budget choice for Beijing and I will be staying there again. It is the only hostel in China where I was never annoyed by cigarette smoke. There is a free breakfast of toast, jam and milk. The cooking facilities are excellent, with the best set of pots that I have seen in some time. The staff have a good command of English and are happy to accompany you to any of the nearby facilities.

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

The best feature of this hostel was the friendly and helpful staff, many of whom had good English. If you are a smoker it is an excellent place to stay. There are no restrictions on smoking so as soon as you've finished your breakfast or other meal feel free to light up. You do not even have to leave the dining area or worry that others are still eating. Passive smoking is possible and indeed inescapable in all of the common areas. There is also a dog and a cat for animal lovers.

Hi:Ronald thanks you for your comliment about our staff.our staff is best part of our hostel! as for the smoking problem.we are prepareing to setting the "glasses room" into smoking zone.the restaurant will be set for non-smoking zone. have a good trip in china Tom

The best aspects of this hostel are the friendly and helpful staff as well as a great atmosphere. The common room is a gem. I really appreciated the Chinese architecture and knick knacks. There is even a terracota warrior in the common area. The only negative is that smoking is tolerated, something which doesn't go well with your meals. Overall it is one of the best hostels that I've stayed in.

YHA London Central

Generally the hostel was quite good The toilet lights that switch on automatically were really annoying. The fact that people can use the reading lights after midnight was annoying as well

Black Sheep Hostel Medellin

Medellin, Colombia

The owner and staff make this a welcoming place. It works well socially and is close to Medellin's night life and the Metro. The only negative was that there was one burglary from the hostel and two armed robberies of guests near the hostel. I was told that this was exceptional.

Dreamkapture Hostal

Guayaquil, Ecuador

The location of the hostel can be useful if you are transiting Guayaquil as it is near the airport and bus station. It works well socially. The men's dormitory is to be avoided unless you are immune to noise and bedbugs. The television is right beside the open window. If you are into value for money and not into comfort this hostel is o.k.

HI, i am sorry Ronald, i think you are mistaking, BEDBUG?? BEDBUG, needs comes out 9 days after you have been BITTING, did you know that? So i dont think you cath them here, we change shits EVERDAY. If you taught that you cath some bedbugs, i wish you had told me, i would of look it up with you.

If you are a smoker this is a great place as there is so much passive smoke to inhale you won't have to buy cigarettes. If you aren't a smoker then you had best give this hostel a wide berth as all the public areas are smoke infested all the time and the smoke drifts into the sleeping areas as well.

Marcopolo Inn Calafate

El Calafate, Argentina

This was quite reasonable by Argentinian standards but let itself down with the kitchen which was a ridiculous shape making it hard for people to move around in it. Why don´t they provide an adequate supply of dish towels in Argentinian hostels. One dish towel for every 100 guests seems to be the norm.

Alma Gaucha

Puerto Natales, Chile

On the plus side this hostel has lots of character and the floors are clean. It is all downhil from there. There are no lockers for valuables and my food was stolen from the fridge. I was charged for breakfast but didn`t receive any. In the morning when I wanted a shower there was no hot water. The toilet rollwas covered in faeces and as such was unusable. The kitchen was in a dreadful state and when the detergent ran out there wasn`t any for the next 24 hours.

Hostal El Mirador

Punta Arenas, Chile

Your experience here in the hostel and neighbourhood will be very Chilean. I quite liked it and people in the neighbourhood were very friendly.

La Posta Hostel and Apart

Ushuaia, Argentina

Whether you like La Posta Albergue will depend on you. It is not for everyone. The staff and cleanliness are both excellent but like so many other South American Hostels the security aspect seems to be an afterthough. There are receptacles for your packs but they don´t lock and there are no staff present for part of the early morning hours. The kitchen facilities and the breakfast were very good.

Ostinatto Hostel

Buenos Aires, Argentina

It was my 2nd stay at the Ostinatto over the last 2 years. The time has come for investment in an upgrade of the bathroom facilities. The no private alcohol rule is annoying as it is obviously there so the hotel can make money out of its bar that noone uses. It means that one can not really enjoy a good bottle of wine in the public area.

Residencial Londres

Santiago, Chile

The Residencial Londres is clearly a budget hostel but was very good value for the cost.