Gender: Female, Age: 64

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

My second time here - great location, good breakfast, helpful and friendly staff, free soft drinks, good rates for the PCs downstairs. But it was weird that bottom bunks in a mixed dorm had curtains , but the top bunks didn't. Why not have curtains for all in mixed dorms? Also there is plenty of info on London in the bar area - no need for yet another intrusive screen with wireless radiation right in the bedroom. And the shower was not working in the room I was in

Pride of Paddington

I 'll be back: I had the best vegetarian & gluten-free breakfast here that I'd ever had at a hostel before. The staff were helpful and enthusiastic. The room was spotless, and although it overlooked a main road, there was little traffic noise,. All dorm guests were quiet and tried not to wake you up if you were still in bed. There is still room for improvement: you couldn't escape from the wi-fi, and there was no proper filter coffee, only Italian black pulverized stuff from a machine.

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

Situated in a former pub by the terminus of the #24 bus, just opposite the old Battersea power station, this hostel was the cleanest I have ever stayed at ! Full marks for that. When you arrive,you are offered a free soft drink, PCs are available at a good rate. They do evening meals - I tried the Thai green veg curry - nice. At breakfast, you can get an omelette as well as cereal. Downside: many steep stairs for those with heavy luggage. Not much privacy in shower, locker broken.

Bath YMCA

Bath, England

Staff here were extremely helpful, both in the kitchen and at reception. The room and beds were clean,and the cooked breakfast reasonably priced. Lots of useful information about Bath is available as well as a good gym. However, there were not only mixed dorms but , unexpectedly, mixed toilets and shower rooms, where men were to be found standing around in underpants.On the two nights I stayed, there was a large, noisy group of men who kept waking me up all night long with raised voices and slamming doo

We do have mixed showers on the first floor (generally the males use them), but we do have female only ones on the second floor. Guests need to inform reception of unruly behaviour as it is manned 24/7.

Bath Backpackers

Bath, England

Excellent location, close to rail station, and on a main road, which was surprisingly lacking in traffic noise on Friday and Saturday night. However, there was a terrible lot of noise from both residents and staff thumping up and down the stairs all night so that I couldn't get a good night's sleep. It wouldn't take much to put up a sign asking people to keep quiet on the stairs after 10:30 PM, would it?

Torquay Hostel

Good value, very clean hostel, close to Tube, self-catering facilities decent, beds comfortable, and a helpful & charming receptionist guy. No Internet, but you can go across the street where there is an Internet cafe (and little else). One thing: there are no ladders to help you get up to the top bunk.

What a comfortable bed and what a nice suprise to get a night light over the pillow area! Guests were very quiet in the halls, staff friendly and helpful. The hostel itself was amazing - most of the Victorian period details have been retained - sash windows, cast iron fireplaces, etc. The cleanliness was much appreciated. One small point - I found the showers on the top floor, but there were no sinks in the shower room. Then I found only one sink outside a separate toilet area. Where are people supposed to brush their teeth etc?

MEININGER London Hyde Park

This place was absolutely spotless, the residents in my room were quiet & considerate, the mattress more comfortable than in most hostels, and there was a side reading light by my bed. I was pleased to find filter coffee, muesli, and yogurt (among other things) available for breakfast. What more could you want for this price? Except for the bunk beds, it was almost like a hotel. And there was also a lot of information on London events in the lobby and a BT payphone too. I will be coming back!

Olave House

This hostel was on a quiet leafy street with quiet, polite, friendly residents. The male receptionist here was extremely helpful, but I didn't see any other member of staff while there, ie, cleaners, breakfast staff... When I visited, the hostel had two female showers not working (leaving only one in use), and there were rubbish bags in the hall. For breakfast there was cornflakes, white bread for toast, juice & coffee/tea- that's it. The entire property needs to be refurbished or at least given a proper clean. Worst of all, I am now itching from something that bit me while there...

Hostel 639

This place is a rabbit warren with no soundproofing, and lots of stairs to climb. The room I was allocated had a shower cubicle in it with plain glass panel doors, and no curtains on the windows (!)- so I didn't have a shower. The residents made a lot of noise in the hall, and the people in my room - a party of young Spanish girls - talked very loudly into the night - until about 1:30 AM - then their mobile phones all went off at 7:30, playing loud Spanish music, which they didn't turn off. When I complained to the receptionist, she just said, "Well this is a hostel, what do you expect?" The only good experience I had at this place was the restaurant, which served me a very nice evening meal.

The LONDON EYE Hostel

This hostel had a nice downstairs room with internet, a clean stripped pine floor, plants, lots of London info, brochures, books, and even a piano! There is also a kitchen where you can make your own food. My room was comfortable enough, and the residents were nice and quiet. Shower room clean. Breakfast included muesli, hurrah! However, like a lot of other Journeys hostels, there are some annoying design features: hook in shower cubicle was almost too high to reach, no door to room with sink (so everyone could see & hear you brushing your teeth), no hand drying facilities in downstairs ladies loo, an open window to terrace on floor below created a big draft up the hallway and into my room...Come on Journeys, little things like this can make a big difference but cost little to fix. Also the directions to the hostel on the website could be more detailed, as the hostel wasn't that easy to find.