Gender: Male, Age: 60

A beautiful location, but a bit of a climb and should not be done midday due to the extreme heat and humidity. Noisy and ill-mannered guests ignored the many signs to be quiet. If guests refuse to be quiet, they should be kicked out and fined.

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

I was told that I arrived too late to attend the Friday buffet, even though people continued to eat for the next hour. Then, three quests were continually smoking and talking loudly in the courtyard, until 1:30 in the morning. You could smell their smoke all over the non-smoking rooms. I asked the staff to tell them to be quiet. The staff person said we already told them a couple of times. So, I asked the quests to be considerate of others. The quests were rude and smirked.

Hey, thanks for staying at Wada again. You arrived at 9:30pm when BBQ was nearly finished (it started at 7:30pm). Same with when you joined in this Jan. need sign up in advance so we can prepare enough food for everyone. But we still shared some BBQ with you FOR FREE and you were still not happy! We also asked guests moving into the bar not in the yard and they did lower voice. They were happy and lovely guests. We hope you enjoy traveling and keep on being happy. Thanks. Team Wada

Lazy Gaga Hostel

Guangzhou, China

The Stone Bridge

Yangshuo, China

This was the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed at in China. As advertised, it was in a village that necessitated a walk along the river, but it was Quiet! The only sounds after the sun went down was a rare dog barking or the sounds of chickens. The hosts were excellent in getting me bus tickets, and were quite knowledgeable about the area. Services were always provided in a prompt and friendly fashion. The owners provided the necessary refrigerator for my medical needs as well.

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

Lucky the dog was a most pleasant addition to the staff. If you need excellent service, comfortable beds, outstanding conversations with international travels, Wada should be your first stop.

Villas 1931 by the Bund

Shanghai, China

The hotel was made in the 1930's, and is in a very tasteful art deco style. It is not massive, and is in a very nice human scale. It is very quiet, no constant sound of horns and traffic, and few shouting Chinese with cell phones! A very nice complimentary breakfast was available in the lobby. Our first room had air conditioning that did not work. The hotel staff promptly rectified this, by a change of rooms. Computer was in the room, and was excellent. The hotel was spotless, and it was close enough to the Bund and the shopping street, but not so close as to get the noise and massive throngs of humanity. Most of the place appeared to be smoke free, but alas! A local felt that smoking over the food in the breakfast buffet was acceptable! When will Chinese hotels start to recognise that smoking around food is the same as spitting on food?? Your drugs should not be in my lungs!

Suzhou Hostel

Suzhou, China

The toilet was a finicky eater, and had to have assistance twice. Our room was very clean, and had plenty of hot water. It was actually a hotel more than a hostel. Its location on an alley was very quiet for a Chinese city. There were so few people there, it seemed eerily quiet. Not many small shops near, but a major entertainment street is a ten minute walk away. The Suzhou gardens are worth the trip. You will need more than four days to see just ten of the gardens.

Very warm and helpful staff.Jane and Chef were always around and most helpful in planning trips. It would be better if it were smoke-free!