• England, Female, 41+
Hostel Slotania, Amsterdam, Netherlands
7.1
1st Mar 2013

I found the staff rather brusque, especially the young man 'guarding' the breakfast (free for hotel guests, not for hostellers). The location was great for me as my plans were on the West side of town, it is out of the way if you want to be in the old centre but there's trams and buses that will get you right there in not much time at all. The room was clean and comfortable, particularly nice hotel-quality toilet facility shared with just those in the room. There's no secure area for bags.

Oxford Backpackers Hostel, Oxford, England
6.7
29th Jun 2008

The lock on our door needed fixing, which was a bit of a hassle. Really nice staff. I was travelling with my 71-year-old mother and this was her first experience of a non-YHA hostel. Suprisingly, I think she enjoyed it!

Thank you for your comment Mitzi. We will have the lock replaced immediately as we were not aware that it was faulty. We are really happy to hear your mother enjoyed her experience! We hope to see you in Oxford again.

YHA London Earls Court, London, England
6.7
27th Jun 2008

Perfectly decent place to stay, and well-located for the tube, restaurants, grocery, pharmacy etc. The staff were a mixed bag, some very helpful but a few seemed to wish no one was there, one even a bit surly... The rooms are good sized and there is a very nice courtyard. The common areas are rather sterile though, I didn't notice any activities on for guests and people did not socialise much when we were there.

Birmingham Central Backpackers, Birmingham, England
7.7
4th Apr 2007

shared rooms are a bit cramped, even for a hostel--but it's an older building