Grand Canyon Hotel

Williams, USA

I booked a private room and was directed to a second building down the street. It had a dorm with individual rooms sub-divided within one large room. I had the building to myself but I doubt it would be very private during busy times. Amy and the staff are lovely and helpful, however, and with a few improvements the second building could be a great facility in addition to the main hotel.

Hostel Papaya Getsemani

Cartagena, Colombia

Great hostel with only a handful of rooms. Rooms are cozy but well equipped and bathrooms and communal areas are excellent. Breakfast better than most in Colombia. Only negative is security. They have a security gate but don't use it and someone walked right past the front desk and stole a guest's mobile. They did not seem to be too concerned about the incident and were slow to react.

• 8th Jul 2014

Hostal Casa Maria

Taganga, Colombia

A solid option at best. Make sure you get a room with a fan/ air conditioning

• 4th Jul 2014

Sam�S VIP Hostel San Gil

San Gil, Colombia

One of my favourite hostels in Colombia. The staff were superb, friendly and went out of their way to help. Great location overlooking main square and plenty of areas to chill out.

• 1st Jul 2014

Hostel Bambu

Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

This hostel has a different layout but has everything you need. Great bar area with adequate kitchen facilities but the one aspect that stands out from most hostels is the excellent, friendly staff who went out of their way to help us. They were brilliant when our bus was cancelled and we needed to book a last minute flight. Only one criticism. When you have signs asking people to be quiet after 10pm people will expect you to enforce the rule. Too many parties went on into the small hours.

• 8th Jun 2014

Residencial Noelia Hostel

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Place is bit dated and could do with some modernisation. It is not well suited to wet weather. It rained for most of the time we were there and many of the communal areas are open to the elements and were slippery as a result. Solid but not spectacular option for the price.

• 6th Jun 2014

Hostal Ambar Backpackers

Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Do yourselves a favour and stay elsewhere. The place is dated, dirty and has no atmosphere. The manager is rude and it felt like I was interrupting his computer time when I checked in. He handed me the key and I had to find the room myself. Add to that you have to pay extra to use kitchen utensils as they are all locked up. Swimming pool is also empty. The only positive: pretty good wifi.

Hostal Wasi Masi

Sucre, Bolivia

I loved this hostel. It has real character and the facilities are just what you need. I had booked a private room but the dorms looked pretty good too with great storage and privacy (not always possible in a dorm). The breakfast was among the best I have had in South America and they also offered a cheap set lunch menu (soup, main). You can also cook yourself in a small but adequate kitchen. The wifi was the best I experienced in Bolivia and all this within minutes of the main plaza and markets.

Pirwa Hostel La Paz

La Paz, Bolivia

Mama Simona Hostel

Cusco, Peru

A solid if not quirky option for any traveller looking to relax before and/or after a trip to the Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley etc. Hot showers and comfortable beds meant I was never cold. Breakfast is your standard rolls and jam. There is a travel agency on site and good locker and luggage storage options.

Banana's Adventure

Huacachina, Peru

This place has real character. I had a four-bed dorm to myself. The bed was comfy and I got some much needed rest. The food was great but all you can eat BBQ and the associated all you can drink happy hour was purely a sales pitch. The staff were helpful and friendly. They have some recently completed new facilities which include two modern, clean bathrooms which highlight the poor old ones. Security could be an issue as anyone can wander in the complex. Lockers in the dorms could also be useful

Ekeko Hostel

Lima, Peru

Booked a single room which was at the back of the complex with adjacent bathroom I effectively had to myself. The bathroom could have been cleaner and the shower drips consistently which you tend to notice during the night when you are adjusting to a new time zone with broken sleep. Staff were friendly enough but breakfast could be served earlier than 8.30am. I had to miss it to get to the bus station in time.