Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 55

The only reason I only rated it "good" instead of "excellent" (like the rest of the categories:-) is because it's an expensive bus ride from central Oslo. That said, it's near a lovely lake, in a nice neighborhood. And the staff was SO helpful - they gave me coffee when I arrived and even a free bus pass when I didn't have enough kroner when leaving (with no place to exchange dollars nearby)! I even had my own room, for the price of a dorm, plus GREAT breakfasts and TV with English channels.

Sentrum Pensjonat

Oslo, Norway

The location is great considering the cost of lodging in Oslo, just minutes from the bus and train station, and the bathrooms are very nice. It,s nice, too, not to have bunkbeds, at least in the 4-bed room I was in, but lockers would provide added security to the locked entrance door. It's definitely not a fun hostal for meeting others, though, unless you like hanging out with drunken old men in the common room, as it seems to be more working poor than travelers, although it's kept quite clean.

Kokopelli Hostel Paracas

Paracas, Peru

It's a fun, party place (even for someone of my age :-) It's right on the beach and within a short, walking distance from the harbor. The breakfast includes scrambled eggs, bread, jam, butter, juice, and coffee or tea. "Chpy" , one of the staff, is a delight: sincerely friendly and helpful. They offer a reasonably priced tour to Isla Balletas as well. My only suggestion for improvement would be more utensils, etc., in the kitchen, since at one point during my stay, there were no bowls anywhere.

La Posada del Kuraka

Arequipa, Peru

My room and bath were fine, but I inadvertently locked myself out because I wasn't told how to operate the key. There wasn't really any good place to hang out, since the manager (who was very friendly and helpful otherwise) was usually talking on the phone or entertaining in the common area. Theocation is a few blocks from both the plaza and monastery.

Kollawas Home Inn

Colca Canyon, Peru

The owner was very helpful and friendly, arranging for a very reasonable tour of Colca Canyon then on to Arequipa for me. I had my own room and bath for a very reasonable price, and the breakfast included an egg, bread, jam, butter, juice and coffee or tea. It was only a short walk to the plaza and bus station as well. There´s a great coffee shop on the NE corner of the plaza, too.

Pisko & Soul

Cusco, Peru

The staff was very helpful and friendly, and the breakfast included eggs, juice, bread, and coffee or tea. It´s rather an uphill climb from the Plaza, but worth it, in general, although it would be nice to have a few, inexpensive amenities, like more shelves or tables in the dorms, lamps other than the single overhead, and a hooks for clothing, maybe even a mirror in the room...just some hopefully helpful suggestions! :-)

The Secret Garden Cotopaxi

Cotopaxi National Park, Ecuador

Sophie, in particular, was very friendly & helpful (and deserves a raise :-). The food was good and plentiful, and the staff always seemed to be working, yet laughing, too, which enhanced the atmosphere. Lockers would be nice, although we never felt insecure, as would hooks and mirrors in the dorm. The ladders to the upper bunks should be secured, though, as it almost fell away as I was climbing down it.

• 24th Feb 2014

Hostal Chasqui

Otavalo, Ecuador

Milton and Roberto were very helpful and friendly, and they kept the kitchen quite clean considering all of the people using it, as were the rooms and baths. It would have been nice to have a locker, though, in that one day we returned to find our door unlocked, although nothing was taken. (The lock had been replaced, so we needed a new key.) Someone is always around if you need help, and there was even a secure garage for our rental car. The location is good, too.

• 21st Feb 2014

Old Penang GuestHouse

Penang, Malaysia

We checked out after one night, in part due to bed bugs, but it was also a VERY depressing, dark, dirty place, especially the bathrooms. Our room had no safe, just a minimal lock on the door, and we could see light through the cracks in the floor. We found a MUCH nicer place, in a nicer area, too, for about $4 more per person. It's called the Lone Pine Resort, with a beautiful swimming pool, jacuzzi, waterfall, and even a slide, as well as a TV in the room and our own bathroom, plus free water.

• 19th May 2013

Nick's Homestay

Ubud, Indonesia

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Nick's beautiful garden home (which seemed to formerly be a temple of some sort). It's located in the heart of Ubud, close to lovely shops and delicious "warungs". We also walked to Nick's two other properties, which are equally charming but further away, in the rice paddies and "jungle". Be sure to stop at the nearby spa for a great, inexpensive massage! But the best recommendation of all is that Yande was kind enough to send my friend's earrings to her in Yogy

• 11th May 2013
  • All Female Group, 41+

Dear Sue, Thank you for your staying with us and hopefully you will be coming back to stay with us.

Island Vibe Port Elizabeth

Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Very nice place with great staff (especially the owner :-)! Only minor suggestion might be to provide some sort of security locker for valuables. Thanks again for a lovely stay!

Nothando Backpackers

Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

Very nice place and staff (especially the owner :-)! It was nice to have the use of a hair dryer and even hand lotion. Only very minor suggestion might be to provide some sort of lockers for valuables. Thanks again for a lovely stay!

Both the owner, Annie, and the manager, Becky (?), are very helpful and friendly. I chose this particular hostel because they provided a shuttle to and from the airport, which it was very close to, but a bit of a hike to the downtown area (although bikes are available). Becky works very hard to keep everything clean, but it's an older building that could use some paint, flooring in some areas, and general refurbishing. Otherwise, no complaints whatsoever! (And the artwork is lovely.)

Pineapple Park Kona

Kailua-Kona, USA

Annie, the owner, is what this hostel special. It's a little off the beaten track, but pretty quiet (except for the roosters :-). Nice garden/patio area and very clean!

Hollywood Beach Hostel

Fort Lauderdale, USA

Great location and staff (especially Ygli and the new guy ); cleaning people came every day, too (even on the weekends) and did a decent job. Unfortunately, there was no A/C in the female dorm room, just a fan (that one woman kept adjusting to point only at her bed): A few, long-term patrons seemed to think they controlled the TV (at VERY loud volume), but otherwise, no complaints. I'd suggest perhaps labeling & organizing food and advance notice about the (reasonable) $10/visit parking charge.

Perhaps it\'s because the (all-male) staff was doing the cleaning, but it basically never happened, other than emptying the trash, the same being true of the "breakfast", which had usually disappeared within the first half hour and consisted of white bread & jelly, plus coffee. Somehow the European hostels know how to do this much better, with meusli & milk, etc. There were no activities during the 3 days I was there, but the price sure was right! The only free parking is across the street.

Orchid Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

Truly a \"surprise\", after all the rip-offs and dumps thusfar -- worth every dong!

Grassland Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

It\'s a bit of a ways out of town, but they do offer a free motorbike ride into town (although you\'re on your own for the return). They didn\'t make it clear that breakfast only included one drink and one entree until we\'d already ordered (and, therefore, were responsible for the additional cost). Otherwise, the hotel and staff were adequate. Ask for a room toward the back, so you\'re not on the busy street, as we were.