BK Hostel

Auckland, New Zealand

Clean hostel, friendly staff and good security. Not much character but good for a one brighter. Be careful not to get a room on either of the two streets, it's a busy area with drunks screaming and shouting until the early hours.

• 21st Feb 2013

Cerana Guesthouse

Kota Bharu, Malaysia

Great place for a stop-over on your way to the Perhentian Islands. They will book you a taxi and you can buy a boat ticket at the hostel too. I was happy staying there one night but that was enough for me. I stayed in a private double and I hardly slept even with my ear plugs in, since the air con unit was right outside my window! Good cheap stop-over though like I said, free tea and toast too - cant be bad!

• 30th Sep 2010

Railway Square YHA

Sydney, Australia

Wasn't quite what i expected. Room 109 had a constantly annoying fan buzzing sound in an above cupboard/room. Checked out on day 2 to find another hostel with peace.

Barracuda Backpackers

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Fair way out of town, one of the guys on the reception just couldn't be arsed, miserable generally. I wouldn't go again. Clean though and fairly cozy.

Wake Up! Sydney Central

Sydney, Australia

lifts are a real pain, has feel of a hotel, pretty good though if you want to hang out with mostly well off young English gap year backpackers, not the nicest place if staying on your own.