Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 35

Lybeer Travellers' Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Staff excellent. Location good. However, significant problems with the room. No curtains - and I did in fact lose my privacy (workman right outside window when I was dressing), the door handle to room came off twice, no showers on level (long wait to use on upper level), no hangers, and rubbish from last person left in room under sink. Staff apologetic - but to pay not only full price but 'Easter price' (!) for a substandard room shows lack of concern regardless of 'upcoming' curtain delivery.

• 1st Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

We're sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your stay. It's because of reviews like this we can improve our hostel and our services. A few remarks however: Curtains are being installed as we speak, this comment is of little to no use to future guests. New bathrooms with more showers are being installed as well. Even though it was "Easter price", price for this private single room was still cheaper than anywhere else in the city. The room is brand new and is not substandard at all, especially considering that we're a hostel and not a hotel. Thank you for your opinion, hope to welcome you at Lybeer Hostel again one day, perhaps we can make it up to you! Cheers

Very clean, friendly hostel, good breakfast, great wifi and lockers in room. A little walk from the city, but still a good location overall. Thanks for making it a very easy stay!

• 30th Mar 2013

Kismet Dao Hostel

Brasov, Romania

Absolutely wonderful hostel - and the staff make it perfect! Staff are helpful, friendly, eager, just so accommodating. Warm rooms, super clean (amazingly clean for hostel!), and hot water any hour of the day. Very handy location for old town. Drawers, table, lamps, hanging space in room great. They coordinate tour of Castles which is extremely useful. Hard to think of improvement - maybe the only thing I could suggest is fix shower head so it stays up by itself. Thoroughly recommend Kismet!

• 18th Feb 2013

Doors Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

Briefly, as feedback has already been given: Pros:Friendly staff, hot water, location ok. Cons:Despite "taxes included", we had to pay more than quoted as penalty for paying in the local currency(!) What traveller not from Eurozone (i.e. from UK, Australia etc) would waste money buying Euros just to pay one hostel in Bucharest?! Room cold, depressing, no desk or cupboards, people,smoking, no lamp lightbulb, interrupted each evening to turn off heat. Manager kindly offered refund but too late.

• 16th Feb 2013

Cheers Midtown

Istanbul, Turkey

The staff member was friendly & helpful! Thank you. The room was fantastic. The biggest problem I found is that the email listed on hostelworld is incorrect and I had to make two (expensive) calls to get in touch with them prior to arrival; plus they didn't really take this feedback re lack of email very constructively despite the fact that providing a correct working email would help their future business far more than me! So don't email them. But lots of positives and I recommend this place.

• 7th Aug 2011

Hostel Mostel

Plovdiv, Bulgaria

The woman who ran check-in when I was there was friendly, helpful, fantastic and overworked! Big thanks to her. The wifi was good, and kitchen area handy. It did seem chaotic here, so I guess expect that if you book here! I didn't get the free pick-up and was told the walk was 15mins when my bus station was closer to an hour away. It was a mix-up, but again shows the chaotic nature of the hostel. Breakfast was ok, security very good. Serious lack of powerpoints in the room was a problem.

• 6th Aug 2011

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

Fantastic and friendly staff, good location, and perfect balance between being a relaxing quiet space but also social. The free pick-up was also brilliant - they couldn't pick us up, but covered a taxi, which is brilliant service. Thanks, and definitely recommended!

• 4th Aug 2011

Canape Connection

Sofia, Bulgaria

It is difficult to review the hostel since they had to move us due to a plumbing problem (out of their control, very understandable). All the staff were very nice & very helpful when there (thank you!), but although being told the Canape staff were to be working at the temporary place there was several times when none of them were there. For this & other reasons I felt the 'pledge' to make the temporary place as good as Canape as possible sadly fell short. Location of the hostel(s) convenient.

• 2nd Aug 2011

Hullam Hostel

Balaton, Hungary

The staff were excellent and very helpful, thank you! The main negative was that we couldn't lock the door to our room once we were inside so it stayed unlocked overnight, not very secure. And more privacy in the showers would be appreciated too. The bar was lively and fun.

DIC Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

The staff were fantastic, very helpful, thanks for your assistance! This hostel is university-dorm-style, so not the most exciting, but reliable and very easy walking distance to centre.

Hostel pod Voglom

Bohinj, Slovenia

The women working at the desk were very very friendly and fantastic, thank you! The location on the lake is excellent, and they have many outdoor activities on offer. Main negatives were no fly-screens on windows despite many mosquitos (so room became very hot with window shut!) and the washer/dryer takes too long (and doesn't really dry) which is a problem if you're only staying one night. But a fun friendly place to stay, and the staff are very helpful, so recommend it!

B&B La Dolce Vita Treviso

Treviso, Italy

The facilities were clean & secure, but their description of wifi in each room is incorrect. We had none in our building (different building) & despite both of us letting the owner know we needed it one evening, we were sent to a dark outside deck with mosquitos & no power until we had to phone again to be let inside for internet, which made me feel like we were 'imposing' on the owner despite trying to do the right thing. Still charged same price. Room wasn't set up as booked. Breakfast good.

Ostello del Chianti

Florence, Italy

Both staff members here were very friendly & helpful, thank you! The location is good for Tavarnelle & was fine for us for Siena and Florence because we had a car. The main negatives were that the flyscreens didn't work (& no fans) making the room extremely hot at night; also, the shower sprayed water everywhere making the bathroom constantly wet. It would have been nice to have had just two beds for a twinshare, rather than bunkbeds! Tavarnelle has a few good restaurants & supermarket.

Colors

Rome, Italy

The woman who checked us in was fantastic, thanks for help and chat!! Staff generally very good apart from Mr Grumpy who enforced the weird curfew officiously and was patronising towards several guests. Security a big issue because only one key per room, no lockers, and no luggage room. Wifi doesn't work throughout and continually asks for password for every single use which is frustrating and tedious! Location fantastic, and a reasonable balance between quiet and social.

Papa Germano

Rome, Italy

It was a frustrating experience, because we booked for this hostel and then were moved to another building/hostel which seemed of a lesser standard and in which neither of us could access the wifi. Also, they attempted to move our booking and payment to the new hostel, which may be fine in Rome but made us uncomfortable (we returned and paid at Papa Germano).

LoLHostel Siracusa

Syracuse, Italy

The staff were friendly and helpful - thank you! Great location, the air-conditioning is perfect, a great kitchen and it has a really fantastic spacious feel to it. Having wifi in room would be good and the price is a little on the high side, but otherwise totally recommend this hostel!

Purple Nest Hostel Valencia

Valencia, Spain

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and good security, including great lockers in the room. The emphasis on party culture meant it was not a relaxing hostel - most guests (near us) were loud, inconsiderate and messy, making it difficult to sleep. Also, wifi was not accessible in the room nor on level 1 terrace so my only option to use internet (Wed night) was in the incredibly loud bar area making it impossible to concentrate. Don't come to this hostel to sleep!

I've stayed here before and I'll stay there again! Staff are fantastic and helpful, wifi is excellent, lockers are great. The place feels relaxing and spacious and a handy location to Alhambra. Recommend!

RC Miguel Angel

Madrid, Spain

Staff were friendly and helpful. Security was good, lockers were great. A little hard to initially find (hint: it's on the other side of the street!). We had loud drunks in our room, but aside from this the character and fun are rather poor because there's not relaxing space and the whole hostel is very cramped. Very handy location.

Bilbao Akelarre Hostel

Bilbao, Spain

Hostel an easy walk from the bus station, very convenient. Staff were really fantastic! Extremely friendly, helpful and full of useful Bilbao tips - thank you, it's appreciated! Good size lockers in the room which was great. I'll stay in Akelarre again next time I'm in Bilbao.

Hostel Baccarat

Nice, France

Staff were helpful, and very straightforward checking in/out. A little hotel-like, but good location and wifi.

Marken Gjestehus

Bergen, Norway

Very handy location, and staff member who welcomed me was fantastic. Secure place, although the disorganisation with the lockers/keys meant I missed out on one. Bathrooms clean, and the rooms feel spacious which is really nice. Note that the front desk is only staffed at certain hours.

Anker Hostel

Oslo, Norway

No lockers in the rooms & expensive ones on the ground floor. Frequently both doors to the dorm room were left unlocked/ajar making it not very secure. The bathroom door was broken (literally off its hinge) & not fixed; the shower wets the whole bathroom and room/bathroom not cleaned daily. Good location and (comparatively, for Oslo) low price are the main pros. A really lovely woman on desk Sat night, but otherwise staff too busy to be very personal/interested. Disappointing for Scandinavia.

Flying Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

• 1st Oct 2010

Flying Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

Fantastic hostel - it's cool, relaxed, welcoming but also offers fun nights out if you're looking for a lively time. Perfect balance! And the staff are brilliant - very helpful with info around Tallinn and Estonia, and they helped me work out an excellent short exploration of Estonia on the buses. (Thank you). Oh, and if you're lucky you might get to sample some delicious cooking...hmmm...

• 30th Sep 2010

Equity Point Girona

Girona, Spain

More like a hotel but great location, clean, good breakfast. And it\'s definitely worth a stop in Girona, not just for the airport!

A fun, chilled-out hostel. Location is very easy with metro. Expensive, like most of Barcelona, but a good choice. The staff were very friendly.

A mixed bag. Staff were great, and location good. But lots of young, loud party-goers (which might suit you!). Noisy all night - can hear ground floor through the building. Lockers are dodgy and fit only a *very* particular size lock which are conveniently only sold (not rented) for 3 euro, so add that to your booking cost. Garden area nice, but I was disappointed overall unfortunately.

AWA Nuria Andorra

Andorra la Vella, Andorra

An hotel with a good location, and friendly staff. It was a great base to see Andorra, and I was very thankful to be able to leave my luggage after check-out so I could squeeze a little more of Andorra in before my evening bus!

Fantastic hostel. Staff were absolutely brilliant - ready to answer questions and helped me print a pdf! Very clean, great design, good wifi, good location, and you can leave luggage. So that\'s all you need, I recommend it!

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

Fun, relaxing place - I met some great people here! I gave security a poor mark only because I was in the room on the ground floor which other room-mates didn\'t bother locking and anyone could have access to it (so maybe ask for a room on a higher level?) as it\'s on way to kitchen. Maybe hostel should change doors to auto-locking ones? But otherwise I recommend this place, rooftop is great, and staff are very friendly and helpful.

Lisboa Central Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Brilliant hostel - basically everything was fantastic. The best bit is definitely the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, they were incredible!

Hotel Il Guercino

Bologna, Italy

Good, clean hotel, easy walking to city and bus station area. Staff were very helpful - especially in sourcing scales so I could weigh my bags prior to the airport!!

Albergo Conca d'Oro

Positano, Italy

Amazing views, good breakfast, and open in winter (very useful!!)

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

Fantastic hostel, and yes, the staff are amazing! Friendly, welcoming, helpful. One of the best, no-fuss hostels I've seen in my travels. I hope the rates stay just as good - because I want to come back!!

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

The staff are great! It\'s clean, secure, lots of room (spacious), well-organised. Free wifi is fantastic! Location is so-so - but very near a subway stop.

Location, location, location. That\'s what you\'re paying for really! It is secure, fairly clean, free wifi which is good. It is cramped though, buy that\'s Manhattan. Staff are friendly - but off in their own social world really :) Good for a short stay!

Hello Kim, Thank you for your review!

Good place - very organised, clean, secure and free wifi, very good! I recommend it. Only negatives are that computers don\'t take usb & the showers are not completely private since there\'s no shelf etc (so not for you if you\'re very shy!). The staff are fantastic and incredibly hardworking. I found them friendly but I can see how some ppl disagree - they\'re so busy & organised that they seem a little short or dismissive sometimes. Perhaps more staff / pay?! :) Location & bre

Kim: Wow! You really hit many of the high points for staying at HI-DC! The USB ports on the machines are very tricky to find. We are in the process of chaning out the monitors with ones that have USB ports in the side, which will really help.~ Mark Schneider, General Manager HI-DC

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

San Francisco, USA

I\'d recommend this hostel - it\'s clean, good staff, fairly central. Well organised & friendly. My only \'negative\' is that hostel didn\'t seem to have much info on lgbt stuff (which is a common reason to visit sf!), eg. nothing re annual Castro St fair - so if you wanna explore that you\'ll have to do it yourself :) but in all, great easygoing hostel.

La Casa de Dante

Guanajuato, Mexico

Loved it! The whole family are extremely welcoming, friendly and fun. A great place to relax. And...an absolutely delicious home cooked breakfast each day!!