Reviews: klhughes

Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 28

H Rado Hostel

Santiago, Chile

The staff at this hostel are the best! I found them all to be very helpful and friendly and they had great information to get me to the airport and Valparaiso. The location is awesome, close to metro stations, markets, bars, restaurants, museums and parks. It's very easy to walk/bike around Santiago. The breakfast includes coffee, tea, toast, cereal, fruit, cheese, jam, dulce de leche and yogurt, not bad at all! The bedrooms have huge lockers and plenty of room for all your stuff. Loved it!

• 14th Sep 2014

Chicago Getaway Hostel

Chicago, USA

A good, clean, secure hostel with friendly helpful staff. The hostel is very big so it can be hard to make friends but they run events every night and there are lots of common areas to hang out in. WiFi is excellent, even in the basement dorms. Breakfast was huge, so much choice! A definite plus if breakfast is an important point for you! Location is quiet and suburban, about 10 minutes walk (or less) from the train station and it's quick and easy to get into town.

• 18th Aug 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hi, Thanks for the great review of Chicago Getaway Hostel! We look forward to having you back at our hostel again in the future... eating our big breakfast and enjoying our awesome WIFI! Thanks, Mat Meadows General Manager

This is a great hostel! My flight landed late so I didn't get to the hostel until 2am (reception is closed by then) but they emailed me the door code and a phone number to call once I got inside, and my sheets and a note were waiting for me at reception, so they made the process super easy thankfully! The location is awesome, very close to the train station and Wicker Park is great for eating out and shopping. The hostel has a sweet rooftop deck which is a major drawcard!

• 12th Aug 2014

Lagares Hostel

Mendoza, Argentina

Lagares is awesome! My friend stayed here 4 years ago and loved it and I can definitely say that it's still a great place. Javier (the owner) often works front desk and he's so attentive, happy, friendly and helpful! There's a huge list of activities they can book for you, I did a full day winery tour and a sunset horse riding tour, so good. The hostel has huge lockers, comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, a good breakfast included and a decent kitchen if you want to cook. Stay here!!!

• 20th Jul 2014

Mango Chill

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

I loved this hostel so much! It was the staff that really made it, Alex explained everything about the Falls and how to get there and even helped us pick a bottle of red to have with dinner! Manu was also super friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is tasty, there's eggs, bread, fruits, cake, coffee, juice, rice and lentils. But the main drawcard of this hostel is the dinners! They have a qualified chef and for 120 pesos you get a three course meal, so awesome!

• 25th Jun 2014

Colombian Highlands Renacer Hostel

Villa de Leyva, Colombia

Hostal Renacer was lovely! It is about 15-20 minutes walk from the main square so it is nice and quiet and I did lots of relaxing in the hammocks. There is a kitchen but they also had a small restaurant so I bought my yummy breakfast and dinner there everyday. It is clean and comfortable and the staff were very helpful and friendly even though I can't speak Spanish! There are tours available but they are very expensive (~$100) so I happily did my own thing. I recommend this place for sure!

• 10th Apr 2014

The Cranky Croc Hostel

Bogota, Colombia

This place is great! In fact this is my second stay here. They showers and toilets are shiny and new, and even though the bunks are a bit creaky they are still really comfortable. The staff are helpful with bus times and even arranged a driver to get me to the bus station. Meals aren't included but they have a restaurant open for breakfast and dinner and they sell cheap beers. I've always met awesome friends here too, can't wait for my third visit next month!

• 7th Apr 2014

ANZ Guesthouse

Selcuk, Turkey

We had a lovely stay here, the staff (Harry and Simon) are friendly and helpful and gave us a free ride to Ephesus which was so nice of them! Good breakfast choices, lovely rooftop terrace, close to good restaurants and bars. We would stay there again!

• 22nd Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Beary Nice! by a beary good hostel

Singapore, Singapore

I loved this little place! Chinatown is a great location, walking distance or short train ride away from all of the sites. I loved the little touches that Beary Nice had, like lamps on each bunk, curtains on the bunks so you could block out unwanted late night or early morning lights, and they sold really cheap cold drinks! Staff were friendly and helpful - they even posted my postcards for me when I couldn't find a post office! I'd definitely stay here again.

• 12th Apr 2013

MNL Boutique Hostel

Manila, Philippines

Great little place, easy to find, friendly staff, close to restaurants and the airport. Would definitely stay here again. Just remember to catch a white metered taxi here from the airport, not the yellow airport taxis - they charge P600-1000 and I got a metered taxi for P150.

• 11th Apr 2013

Ruby Hotel

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Great location, right near all the bars and restaurants and the beach, but down a side street so you get a bit of peace and quiet. The lift was handy because we stayed on the 6th floor! Fresh towels everyday and they helped us to book our night bus to Hoi An. Very clean, would stay again.

• 25th Feb 2011

Thanh Thuong Guesthouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

A fantastic guesthouse right in the middle of the action, great location with pubs, restaurants and shops everywhere. Located in a nice little alley which makes it much quieter than staying on the main drag. Good price for all the mod-cons, very clean and comfortable. The staff were very helpful when we wanted to book tours and bus trips. Would stay here again!

• 21st Feb 2011

YHA Bangkok Airport

Bangkok, Thailand

Great location if you have a really late or really early flight, but obviously nowhere near the actual city of Bangkok. The staff were very friendly and helpful and organise taxis for you at all hours of the day. Not much character but I guess you can't really expect so much when you're staying in the middle of nowhere! Breakfast included is a nice bonus. Clean rooms and bathrooms. Would stay again if I ever have dodgy airport connection times again!

• 18th Jan 2011

Nomads Capital Backpackers

Wellington, New Zealand

Fantastic location, helpful staff, nice and clean. Would definitely stay again.

• 6th Jan 2011
  • Globetrotter

Thanks Kelly, will see you next time

The Guest House

Adelaide, Australia

The Guesthouse is very clean with a good kitchen, but no heaters so the nights were a bit chilly. All the fun stuff like the bar, tv, pool table, etc were at Backpack Oz so I'd recommend staying there if you are a young and/or lone traveler because the Guesthouse is very quiet and has less atmosphere. Great location however and the free breakfasts and dinners are awesome!

International Guesthouse Azure

Narita City, Japan

This hostel was really cute and clean and easy to find from Narita Keisei or JR stations, use the map on the actual International Guesthouse Azure website for the best directions. I recommend staying here if you've just flown into Narita, or will be flying out the next day, as it's only 7 minutes to the airport. There's a great temple in Narita so this place is worth a look in. The 3pm check-in sucks though because I got there at 11am after a long haul flight and the first thing I wanted was a shower but I had to wait 4 hours til I could come back!

Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna

Vienna, Austria

This hostel was great, clean and friendly, great atmosphere. There's a cute garden and kitchen out the back and loads of tables and chairs everywhere for socialising around a drink or two. Super close walk to Westbahnhof which is handing if you catch the train into (or out of) there, plus there's a metro station there too and trams which go everywhere, real handy. There are supermarkets, restaurants and cheap eats close by, perfect location! The beds were really comfy too and the rooms were huge.

Fabric Hostel & Club

Naples, Italy

This place is awesome! On a map it looks like it's not in the best location as it's not in central Naples, but there's nothing in central Naples so why bother?! This hostel is on the same train line as Pompeii and Vesuvius, so really that means the location is great! It's clean and close to heaps of cheap pizza shops, post office, gelati, the harbour, etc. They don't have a kitchen but they do have restaurant food for only 3 euros a meal and it's good proper food too. The rooms are clean and most of the beds aren't stupid bunk beds! They offer heaps of handy services like putting photos from your memory card onto a CD for only 2 euro, so easy. Internet is free and they have a great TV room with English chanels and loads of cool DVDs to watch. BOOK HERE NOW!!!

Pretty good location but I probably wouldn't stay here again coz the staff were the rudest people I have ever met in my life, seriously! There was one night staff member and he was awesome, but the other lot were terrible and should be ashamed of themselves! Nice place other than that so only stay here if you don't intend on talking to the staff EVER! I asked the girl if she had a phone number for a local pizza place and she told me to go away coz she was working... to which I replied, "Me asking you a question IS you working!" You get my point...

Lagoon Hostel

Venice, Italy

I marked this place down a bit for character anf fun, but I stayed there on their very first night of opening so they can't help it if they weren't jumping yet! I'm sure the atmosphere will kick in soon coz this place rreally is great. The rooms are huge and clean and there are loads of toilets and showers to go around, There's two common rooms so plenty of space to chill out and there's a supermarket almost next door which is handy if you're cooking your own dinners. The location is amazing, right outside a boat stop with a great view across the canal to San Marco Square and the Ducale Palace etc. I would defintitely stay here again, seriosuly, you're not going to find a better location in Venice, and the prices are reasonable too.

Sant Jordi Les Corts Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Oh my God, this was the best hostel I've ever stayed at bar none! Don't be put off by the location, as it's a little further out of town than other hostels. However there are trams, trains and buses and it's so easy to get to Las Ramblas. Small hostels have so much more character as you are forced to mingle with the other people there, compared to a 500 bed hostel where there are just way too many people. It is just like staying in a house and you get your own key so you can come and go as you please at any hour of the day. Fantastic hostel, I highly recommend it and would stay there again in an instant!