Indraprastha Home Stay

Ubud, Indonesia

A lovely place with well manicured gardens, fish ponds and a small rice field in back (I watched the harvesting the week I was there). As a single, one often gets stuck with a small room, but the room here was large and very attractive, with double bed, two desks, refrigerator, paintings on the walls, plenty of windows with garden view and a large veranda with table, chair and chaise lounge. Cons: UA$22 a night is more than I am used to in Bali; the walk to the center took me 30 minutes.

Sorrento, Italy

Love this hostel. In a former flash hotel which doesn't seem like a hostel. Staff is warm and friendly. I have stayed there 3 times in the last 4 years, only a few days, but they remember me and greet me warmly and give me my special room without me asking. Only downside is location, which is about a 20 minute walk from the train station, okay when you don't have luggage, but a pain pulling your bag over cobbled streets. Taxi fares are outrageous.

Old Town Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

A small hostel on the third floor (2nd by European definition) of an old building about 10-15 minutes walk from both the main square and the railroad station. No elevator, but receptionist Ana helped me carry my heavy rolling bag up the stairs. Rooms large and cheerful. Big shared room. They arrange shuttles to Plitvice National Park for about US $32 allowing you 4 hours to explore on your own, enough to do the boardwalk trails in Upper and Lower Lakes. Or you can do Zegreb-Plivice-Split.

Montenegro Hostel

Kotor, Montenegro

Great hostel in the very heart of the Old City, five minutes walk from the city gate. Staff very helpful. Plus they do transfers to Albania and tours around Montenegro (minimum 4 persons). 6 person dorms or privates. Sister hostels in Budva and Podgorica.

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Excellent hostel in large former hotel with elevator. Best location possible, just a couple of blocks from the only place in town the 3 metro lines intersect and two blocks from the main street Andrassy. You can walk to most of the main tourist attractions. Also has female dorm. Highly recommend.

Excellent location just 1-1/2 blocks from Town Hall Square. Japanese owner very friendly and helpful. Maps provided with suggestions about best things to see. They can book tours to National Park in conjunction with Tallinn Backpackers. But unlike Tallinn Backpackers, this is not a party hostel, but a nice quiet place to stay. Also have female dorm, which I appreciated. Only drawback was 2 flights of stairs to reach third floor hostel, but they carried my big bag for me so no problem.

OldHouse Hostel

Tallinn, Estonia

Only stayed one night in private room in separate apartment building. It was small and simple but quiet, and I needed rest after 27 hours travel from the US. There was a kitchen to use. The building was old, funky and quiet. I think only for people taking private accommodation. No dorms.

Best thing is the location, just 2 blocks from train station (and bus or train to airport) and central bus station is just in front of train station, as well as Hop On, Hop Off sightseeing bus. Sister hostel Alessandro Palace is about 4 blocks on the other side of the station and further from the sights. Palace has a bar and offers sightseeing tours, but Downtown residents can go over and use both. Elevator. Air con certain hours only. Free pasta nights, vending machines w/cheap wine, beer.

Sorrento, Italy

Hostel in a former large luxury hotel (there is even a spa and swimming pool in the basement). I booked an 8-bed dorm, but got a 2-berth room with bath for the same money (maybe because I was older and said I needed a bottom bunk. Staff remembered me from 2010. Public rooms very nice as was my little private room. A little far from train when you arrive with luggage. Try to get bus, because taxi will rip you off. Without luggage you can walk to main part of town, ferry or train in 15 mins.

Montenegro Hostel

Kotor, Montenegro

In the heart of the walled Old City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. On same square as Maritime Museum. Can't take a taxi inside the walls, but it's only a 10 min walk down narrow alleys. Tours and transfers to Albania offered by hostel. Also dinner if you want it, although Old ity offers many possibilities. Staff very friendly; we talked a lot. Air con in rooms much appreciated as Kotor was very hot in June (as is most of the Mediterranean). Kotor Bay setting is gorgeous! I had no idea.

Affittacamere Ghega

Trieste, Italy

Really nice hostel. Just 2 blocks from train/bus station, so no need for taxi. On 3rd floor, but there's an ancient elevator to take you up. Huge rooms and no bunk beds, all beds on the ground, with big wood tables to eat at or work at. Free wi-fi in rooms and small flat screen TV on the wall. Fan. Walking distance to downtown or to the waterfront where you can catch Hop On, Hop Off bus. Owner incredibly helpful, told me how to travel by bus to Montenegro and helped me get ticket. The best!

HelloBCN Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Nice hostel. I have stayed there before and would again. Not real close to Las Ramblas, but easily reached one stop on Metro. Good advice from staff. Bar on premises. Elevator. Separate dorms for women if you want them, which I do.

Grand old Victornian house full of character, near university and just across the street from great art museum. Very large rooms. Good kitchen and public area. Not exactly central but a bus ride from Greyhound station will get you there.

This is the best location in Rome, 2 blocks from the train station, on the right side for the Tourist Office, Post Office & train to the airport. And they have an elevator, which the sister hostel Alessandro Palace doesn't. This is also the best side for walking to all the sights of Rome. And in front of the train station is the central bus depot (also for Hop On/Hop Off bus), and below the station is the Metro. Staff friendly & helpful. Walking tours. Free pasta dinners M-F.

Sorrento, Italy

The hostel is a converted luxury hotel. Staff was really friendly and helpful to us. Sorrento was a safe and colorful tourist town with cobblestone streets and lots of souvenir shops. We were able to catch a 40 minute train direct to Pompeii ruins, bus down the Amalfi coast from in front of the train station and ferry to Capri from the Marina Piccola. Taxi from train to hostel was $25, but everything in town is walkable. We caught the Marina Grande bus in front of the hostel to go back.

B&B Terrazza sul Corso

Agrigento, Italy

Like a gorgeous modern apartment on the main street of the town, within walking distance of the bus and train stations. Triple room we had the first night was huge with a jacuzzi in the bathroom. Terrace view from the bedroom of the Greek temple outside town. Big breakfast with fresh pastries. The proprietor was incredibly good to us, driving my friend and me to the hospital outside town and staying for hours to translate with the hospital personnel when my friend got sick. Above and beyond.

B&B Brezza Marina

Pozzallo, Italy

Very cheery modern blue and white room for two. Big breakfast, not like the usual continental breakfast fare. Most important the owner could not have been more helpful. He picked us up at the ferry from Malta and also dropped us and our luggage off at the bus stop the next day and spoke to the driver to make sure we were on the right bus.

LoLHostel Siracusa

Syracuse, Italy

Lovely place to stay. Cheery, modern blue and white room. Big breakfast, not the usual roll and coffee. Owner incredibily helpful. Picked us up at the ferry from Malta and dropped us and our luggage off at the bus stop the next morning, checking with the driver to make sure it was the right bus to our next stop. Went way beyond what we had the right to expect. Highly recommended.

Gianni House

Taormina, Italy

Hostel was in next town over from Taormina, close to a bus stop but the bus ran only once or twice an hour, so not very convenient. Quite a way from train station, so a costly taxi ride but 10 min walk from intercity bus. No sign on hostel, looked like an apartment building, so confusing as to if it was the right place. Twin room turned out to be bunk bed. The young American who ran the place was very nice and helpful, however, and went out of his way to accommodate us with cot and breakfast.

Hotel Regina

Palermo, Italy

Location can't be beat, right at Quatro Canti, the intersection of two main streets. No penalty for singles: two to a room is twice one to a room. This is a hotel, not a hostel, a central room, not a fun hangout. Some staff have limited English. Hotel is on second floor but there is an elevator so no problem getting luggage up. They will keep your bags (but behind the desk not in locked room) while you tour Sicily if you book night for your return. For location and price, can't be beat.

Berambih Lodge

Kuching, Malaysia

Excellent location, in Chinatown, one block from waterfront, main bazaar. Helpful friendly staff. Well equipped. Downside is "longhouse style", which means no furniture. No chairs or tables in room, mattress is bed on floor. Hard for an old person like me.

thanks for your comment..hope to see u again in kuching sarawak malaysia ....

A wonderful place, old warehouse on the riverfront transformed to a charming guesthouse. Lots of green plants, oversized twin beds, cable TV, internet, friendly owners who give you orientation and a map right away (as well as fresh cookies and welcome drink). A wonderful surprise.

Across the street from Hammersmith tube station on the Underground line from Heathrow. Very good for this, although sign for the hostel was difficult to find. Did not at all like the pub below it. It had two TV screens, both with soccer games, with men shouting at the screens. Not suited for talking or for women. Not what I had in mind for an English pub. Otherwise, rooms were large, well furnished, pleasant. Though it could use a lift to the fifth floor where women's dorm was.

HelloBCN Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Large bar/common room on ground floor, also exercise room and chill out room. Friendly helpful staff helped me reconfirm flight. Women's dorm for 4 was fine. About a 15 minute walk from Las Ramblas, but right on metro line to both Ramblas and train station, and from there to airport train. Easy to find. 5 min walk from metro.

La Posada de Huertas

Madrid, Spain

Terrific location, could walk to all the important tourist sites. Sparkling clean. Also nice to find a female dorm.

Very nice hostel. Clean with lots of extras like free breakfast, free internet, free use of wash machines, even free pickup from train station. Dorms were modern, sparkling clean and spacious despite having 6 to a room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Only drawback is location, which is in Kazimierz (Old Jewish section outside of Old Town), but even that is not so bad because Old Town can be reached by tram in 2 stops and railway/bus station can be reached in 3 stops.