Location: Ireland, Gender: Female, Age: 60

Hostal Magallanes

Ferrol, Spain

This 'hostel' is more like a hotel and is a great place to stay. You can walk to it from the centre in less than half an hour. Staff are lovely and looked after me as if I really was a footsore pilgrim - I was only a weary FEVE traveller. Directions include information about the train station but be aware that there are only about 3 trains a day. Walking from the centre is best unless you are coming from the East by train, when the train stops at this station, so watch for it.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Globetrotter

Great choice of hotel. Excellent situation for city centre and for train. Helpful staff, decent room. Nothing posh but very good value for money in this gorgeous city. Highly recommended.

• 1st Dec 2014
  • Globetrotter

Great choice of hostel! Excellent and clear directions. This place is spotlessly clean, very well equipped (though more hooks would be appreciated, as usual) and is a great location. The owner is really helpful and welcoming. He has travelled quite a bit and so appreciates what one needs in a hostel. Great shower. Not much space to prepare or eat food but there are tons of cafes and restaurants nearby. One toilet didn't seem to be much but was fine, We had a wonderful stay - thanks.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

This Minshhuku is 15 mins walk from the station. This means that it is in a peaceful area and we had the sound of the river outside our window. The owner is very welcoming. He will drive his guests to a local onsen, in the forest, each evening. That was a wonderful experience. The restaurant he recommended was not such a success but we really enjoyed our stay there and wholeheartedly recommend it. You will have a flavour of real Japanese living. Our room was large and comfortable. Great choice!

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

Excellent hostel in great location. Close to public transport and lovely area for sight-seeing and shopping. Near the best cherry-blossom river walk in Tokyo. The staff were superb and we loved the bar/common area, where you could just chill, or eat/drink. The bathing facilities are excellent. More hooks in the bathrooms and the dorms would have been welcome, but that is a very minor quibble. Thanks!

• 7th Apr 2014

Igloo Backpackers Hostel

Nottingham, England

Good, convenient hostel. Free wifi, good kitchen, lovely staff. Small with steep stairs but that adds to the character.

• 22nd Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

This was my second stay here. Great location and very easy place to stay. Very helpful staff. Excellent breakfast. Secure lockers for valuables. Generally a great place to stay in Vienna.

• 2nd Jun 2012
  • Globetrotter

Hey Thank you very much for your rating and comment. We are happy that you had a great stay :). We are looking forward seeing you soon, Your M-Team

YHA London St Pancras

Great hostel. Very good location; clean; secure. Being one of the most modern ones there is no members' kitchen and not even somewhere to make a cup of tea. That's a shame though I can understand it. You can also leave your luggage here for 2 pounds which further enhances the convenience factor. I always stay here when in London.

• 6th Sep 2011

Dundee Backpackers Hostel

Dundee, Scotland

Fascinating building, very quirky, lots of narrow steep stairs. Nice and warm indoors when it was very cold outside. No single-sex dorms which is always a problem for me. I had the single en-suite room - lovely but the specially-made bed was almost too high for me to climb into - I am not young or tall! As another reviewer said, the requirement to have photo ID at check-in should be flagged up in advance. As should the charge for credit cards and that they don't take cheques. Weird!

• 14th Dec 2010

YHA London St Pancras

Smashing hostel - I always stay here when I am in London - excellent value for money and it feels really safe too. Good pubs on either side - for dinner as well as a drink.

YHA London St Pancras

Great location - excellent value for central London. I always stay there.

Langholmens Vandrarhem STF/HI

Stockholm, Sweden

Great setting. Wonderful value for money in Stockholm. Very easy to get to and very characterful! A real experience too. It's posher than most hostels but has a good kitchen. Almost no social life, but there is plenty of that a few metro stops away.

• 12th Oct 2010
  • Globetrotter

The hostel was quite cold, and I am not usually cold. Good internet access, which is also free. No female dorm though they say that this could be arranged but how can you do that through an online booking?

Vilnius Old Town Hostel

Vilnius, Lithuania

Location good. I met lots of really interesting people in this hostel. Nice kitchen which lends itself to being sociable.

• 5th Oct 2010
  • Globetrotter

Lovely hostel with excellent facilities. Nice to have the option of female dorms. Thanks for a safe and restful stay amid travel problems.

• 3rd Oct 2010
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for the nice rating! We hope to see you soon in Vienna again! Klaudia (manager)

Hostel Oki Doki

Warsaw, Poland

Best hostel I've ever stayed in! Beside bus and train station, great staff, outside eating area, lovely kitchen, single-sex dorms available. Thanks for a great stay. You have a wonderful hostel!

• 3rd Oct 2010

LoLHostel Siracusa

Syracuse, Italy

Best hostel ever!

Agora Hostel

Catania, Italy

Noise levels unacceptable. Staff wonderful. Long-term students should have own dorms. Hostel needs major renovation.

• 22nd Sep 2010
  • Globetrotter

we finally are renovating ;-)

Belfast International Youth Hostel

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Nice breakfast cafe!

Safestay York

York, England

Wonderful building and location; great staff; free wi-fi is appreciated. Very clean and newly decorated. It feels a bit odd, though, because it is empty except for the bunks. Some places to hang things would be hepful, and more space than the tiny cage under the bed. A kitchen would be great too. So, it's very different, but I recommend it highly.

YHA Oxford

Oxford, England

Great hostel - probably the best and this is the second time I've stayed here.

YHA London St Pancras

Great location, very clean, lovely hostel. I like that there are female dorms. I would like a kitchen but we can't have everything.

Brussels Hello Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

They seem to be renovating this old hostel, which will make it much nicer. Currently it is a bit unattractive but with a nice common area, though the kitchen is on a separate floor. No female dorms. Good location, very close to the Metro.

Frolic Goats Hostel

Poznan, Poland

Great, small and friendly hostel in very good location. Lovely breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. They have a female dorm which is becoming important to me. Great showers too.

Orange Hostel - Old Town

Torun, Poland

Great value for money, excellent location. No female dorms, sadly. Well worth a visit as this is a lovely town. Ignore the wrong directions from the rail station and take a taxi - costs under 10 Pln.

Boogie Hostel

Wroclaw, Poland

Nice hostel - great location, just by old town. Helpful staff - thanks. Good little kitchen. Hostel can be noisy but that's because of it's location. Directions from rail station are confused - should say OP as well as OL. Directions back to station confused too. This is starting to be a pattern with hostels. I recommend it, though I don't like all dorms being mixed.

Youthhostel St. Moritz

St. Moritz, Switzerland

Lovely place and great staff. I would have appreciated a small kitchen for making tea, but otherwise it was perfect.

Matterhorn Hostel

Zermatt, Switzerland

The total lack of privacy us a real issue in this hostel - all dorms and bathroom areas are mixed and the sinks and washhand basins are in the corridors. It is also very cold at night and the one blanket provided would not have been enough but I had my thermals so was OK. The communal area is a window-less space with only a kettle and some crockery. Very poor.

YHA London St Pancras

Great but I missed having a members' kitchen.

Generator Hostel London

Old hostel but well located. Now that there is a new YHA one nearer to the train stations, I don't stay here, but it was fine when I did.

• 6th Nov 2008